R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking Room Geometry  (Read 2976 times)

xAm

Tracking Room Geometry
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:45:33 PM »

Just curious about tracking room shapes.

What makes a more "natural" sounding room to track in?

Square corners, square corners with irregular shapes by acoustic treatment, just plain irregular shaped rooms, or some predefined shape (perfomance theaters come to mind)?

Thanx!
Max
WOW!

franman

Re: Tracking Room Geometry
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:27:57 PM »

I find that in our project tracking room geometry is most often driven (or dictated) by the host building and "what's left over" after we fit in all the other rooms, circulation, control room front walls, etc..

I know, I know...this sound kinda half-assed like we don't care about the tracking space as much.. but the fact of the matter is that you can make good sounding tracking spaces out of most any shape (other than concave arcs) if you are a little clever about it. We study the available space, the architecture of the rest of the project, the building, etc and try to make a design for the larger tracking spaces that compliments the building (when in a free standing structure) the rest of the studio spaces and sound great! This is an interesting and very intuitive phase of our designs, so I can't give you any magic advice... the things we look for include:

1. Proper amount of reflective, diffuse and absorptive surfaces based on the size of the room and the goal of the design (live room, V/O, foley, etc...)
2. Creative use of surfaces... we dont want to do the same thing over and over an over and over.... ya know?
3. Site Lines .. from the CR to all recording areas and as from all booths to as much of the Live room as possible.
4. Avoid flutter issues (self expanatory)
5. What type of floor finishes do we and/or the client want to use..
6. How does this affect our design direction for the ceilings (which in turn will affect how much of what types of surfaces we will use on the walls, etc...).

You see everything affects everything else, so it usually develops over a few iterations.....

BUT, there is no set geometry or shape that we look to create for live rooms... Large rectangular spaces are the easiest to start with , I guess??   Very Happy
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

xAm

Re: Tracking Room Geometry
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 11:13:54 PM »

I'm following your assesment... OK, that works.

In my case, I've got a 1200 sq ft building to upfit. CR is right at 18.25 ft x 22 ft (Room w/in Room). - 2x8 exterior walls with 2x6 interior walls - main CR wall is a 27 inch cavity.

In the space I have left over, I hope to fit a small irregular shaped iso (7ft x 7ft) in the far corner and a dual purpose hall/iso and the main tracking room. If I follow the contour of the CR, I get a nice irregular shaped room. The drawing so far is coming out to something like 27.25 ft x 16.3 ft with only 1 square corner.

The 7x7 Iso is irregular shaped by a 37 degree cut on one corner. I figure that should be big enough to use for an amp room. (2x10 stud wall)

The tracking space I'm hoping for is a live "natural" sounding room that would be good for just about any type of instrument.

The floor will be 4" concrete slab on sand.

I've got plenty of hardwood to finish with... Oak, Cherry, Maple, Cedar and Walnut... and contemplating one wall in the tracking room as a brick or stone veneer.

This is my life's dream and I don't care to purposly, or even accidentally, screw it up.

So, what would you recommend that I do with that 1 square corner, or should I make all the corners square and then deal with the corners with acoustical treatment?

The offices, lounge and bathrooms will be outside the structure proper on a separate 16x30 4" concrete pad on sand to optimize isolation and usable square footage for the studio proper.

Interior height is right at 14' above finished floor to the bottom of the trusses.

Thanx for any ideas!!!
Max
WOW!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.