R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about an L-Shaped Room?  (Read 2951 times)

LSilva

How about an L-Shaped Room?
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:43:27 PM »

I have an L-Shaped room in my basement (see pic).

The floor is carpeted with thin indoor/outdoor carpet over concrete.  The ceiling is about 6.5' high and is a dropped ceiling. I'm seriously thinking of taking out the dropped ceiling and adding  thick insulation in between the joists as mentioned in another thread.

I've already treated the corners and the first reflection points with 703 (the green things in the drawing).  The corners are 4" 703 from floor to ceiling.

Is there anything else that I should be doing that I haven't thought of?

Thanks,
Lou

index.php/fa/3337/0/
Lou Silva

franman

Re: How about an L-Shaped Room?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 10:02:39 PM »

It looks like you're following good first steps.. Yes, I would probably try the "trapped" ceiling joists as mentioned in other post to give you a few inches of height and better low freq absorption.

How does the rooms sound? How is the bass response?? It's very difficult to predict LF distribution in an L Shaped room like this. You have to address is imperically most times.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

LSilva

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:37:29 AM »

franman wrote on Sat, 02 September 2006 22:02

It looks like you're following good first steps.. Yes, I would probably try the "trapped" ceiling joists as mentioned in other post to give you a few inches of height and better low freq absorption.

How does the rooms sound? How is the bass response?? It's very difficult to predict LF distribution in an L Shaped room like this. You have to address is imperically most times.

It's hard to say.

I've never really measured the room's response and I'm not sure of the best way to go about that.

Standing in the room listening to an amp or a mix, it sounds okay- no obvious flutter or anything but I can't be sure that there aren't any bass anomolies.

The only observation that I've really made is that when micing the room, the resulting track tends to emphasize the lower midrange frequencies.

Thanks for the response.

Lou
Lou Silva

franman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 08:20:44 PM »

Lou,

When I ask how does the room sound? I mean subjectively to you... that's what this is all about in the end.. Not "how does it measure" or "how does it test", but HOW DOES IT SOUND!! So, put up some reference material that you know really well, and tune into the playback in the room. Listen carefully, and try to make some notes about what hear that's good and what's bad.... this is what I meant, and this type of Critical Listening is something everyone has to practice and get good at... It's the MOST IMPORTANT TOOL we use... our ears!  Cool
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.