R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: preamp choice  (Read 2639 times)

luis Markson

preamp choice
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »

Hi!

I've been posting over the Lab Lounge for a while but need some of your opinions.

As both a learning tool and as an attempt to improve the product I deliver, I am looking at purchasing an outboard mic preamp to use as part of a "money channel" for live use. My budget is tight but I think I have narrowed the choice down to the Grace Designs M101. From what I've read this pre is almost completely transparent.

By taking this approach I am hoping to learn something about the pres in the desks I use (mostly A&H GLs) rather than gain some kind of subjective sonic improvement. I also like the ribbon mode on the m101 as I am thinking about experimenting with a BeezNeez Judas at a later stage.

Does this sound like he right Pre choice for my purpose?

John Roberts {JR}

• Real Full Name: John Roberts
  • 10,000+
Re: preamp choice
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »

Hopefully others here will help guide your decision.

The m101 ribbon mode, bypasses phantom DC blocking caps, and raises the input impedance from 8 kOhm to 20 kOhm.

The best cap is no cap, so nothing wrong with bypassing them, if you are not using phantom power.

The normal 8k input termination is already a little higher than most mic preamps that target 10x bridging termination (1.5-2 kOhm nominal). The 20k is 10x higher than typical.

I don't want to overstate the influence of this. Moving to higher impedance will load the microphone's source impedance less for a little more output (a fraction of a dB better S/N). For heavy mass microphones there may be some subtle difference in damping but I don't expect as large of a sonic difference as you would see from using a lower than bridging terminations.

But again don't listen to my theory, listen to other people's hands on experience. maybe rent or borrow one and listen to the actual preamp.

JR 
Circular Science     http://RESOTUNE.COM

"tune it or don't play it..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.