R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: M-Audio Tampa OR The Brick?  (Read 5381 times)

Trumpetman2

M-Audio Tampa OR The Brick?
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:38:12 AM »

These are same price - which would you buy to use w/a Senheisser 441 mic? Shocked

Jason Poff

Re: M-Audio Tampa OR The Brick?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:53:07 AM »

brick

Ashermusic

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:28:47 AM »

Tampa with condensers, Brick with dynamic mics.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »

Brick.

blueboy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 12:39:39 AM »

Get the Brick.

Just make sure you do the Terry Manning Brick Mod.....(paint the lid black)

...and then it will look as good as it sounds...

...well, not really, but it will look better at least.

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

Ashermusic

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 04:37:54 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 24 August 2006 20:34

Brick.

OK I officially change my vote from the Tampa to the Brick. No way am I going to be on record as disagreeing with Terry Manning about mic-pres.

www.jayasher.com

Podgorny

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 04:14:18 AM »

Ashermusic wrote on Sat, 26 August 2006 15:37

OK I officially change my vote from the Tampa to the Brick. No way am I going to be on record as disagreeing with Terry Manning about mic-pres.

What is the deal with the deification of the moderators here?  Terry has many years of experience, and has shared some great advice, but that doesn't make it wrong to have a different opinion.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

hargerst

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 06:20:12 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 03:14

Ashermusic wrote on Sat, 26 August 2006 15:37

What is the deal with the deification of the moderators here?  Terry has many years of experience, and has shared some great advice, but that doesn't make it wrong to have a different opinion.

That ain't "deification"; it's called "R.E.S.P.E.C.T.".  It comes with age and experience, if you're lucky. It's also called "Been down that road before", and "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt".  After a while in this business, you learn what works, and what doesn't. Opinion, based on actual experience, counts more.

No, you don't hafta take any of the moderators advice here, but the last sign you'll see as you head down that road says "Proceed At Your Own Peril".

Ever notice on how often the moderators and major players here agree on something?  Ever wonder why?
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Trumpetman2

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 09:52:50 AM »

Gentlemen:  Since I started this thread, all I have to say to the real pros here is - thank you; the Brick it is! and to podgorny - the Brick, Capisce!!!!  Cool

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 10:40:44 AM »

Ashermusic wrote on Sat, 26 August 2006 16:37

Well, that's a very kind thought, but if you have personally tried the other and liked it, then your recent statement above reflects a wrong choice.

I certainly don't know everything, and there are certainly always other sides of the coin.

Take what you read here, from anybody, for what it is:  an opinion you found on The Internet.

Then try lots of things out, and make your own choices based upon empirical observation.

Best of luck.

PS: Pod knows which side is up.

hargerst

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 02:28:52 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 09:40

Well, that's a very kind thought, but if you have personally tried the other and liked it, then your recent statement above reflects a wrong choice.

I certainly don't know everything, and there are certainly always other sides of the coin.

Take what you read here, from anybody, for what it is:  an opinion you found on The Internet.

Then try lots of things out, and make your own choices based upon empirical observation.

Best of luck.

Yeah, I agree that if he's tried the other pre and likes it, that's fine, but you're backpedaling, Terry, and I gotta say something about that.

Everybody here doesn't have a world class studio or an unlimited budget, and they have to watch their money when making equipment choices.  The temptation is to always ask, "Is there a cheap solution to my problem?".  A lot of times, the answer is yes.  But sometimes, the answer is no, and that's where you, William, Ross, and a bunch of others come in.

Equipment comes in a lot of different flavors and packages: good, good for just a few things, tempermental, flimsy, reliable, built like a tank, one trick ponies, and all combinations of those qualities.  In bigger studios, certain names keep popping up, over and over.  

Even our little place (in Nowhere, Texas) has 3 rooms, with an SSL 4048, an  MCI 556D, and a Soundtracs 32x8, and a ton of mics and outboards to support 3 rooms. So, do all of us here have more exposure to a wider range of equipment than a guy with a computer in his bedroom and a pair of small nearfields?  Sure we do.

How many of us tried the Alesis 3630 when it first came out, and decided it wasn't a useful tool?  I bought an AKG C3000 when the damn thing sold for $848, only to turn around and sell it a year later for $150 bucks, cuz it wasn't very useful.

Sometimes I get lucky buying a new piece of equipment; I have one of the first Neumann TLM103's one of the first RNC's, and the prototypes of the AEA R84, and they're still in use, every day.

The point is I'm a gearslut; so are you Terry, Ross, William, Fletcher, and a bunch of other guys here, whether you care to admit it or not.  Manufacturers respect your opinions, and often seek out your advice on new products.

When Asher gets a bunch of us all saying, "get the Brick over the M-Audio Tampa" (and count my voice in there,too), maybe there's a reason.  Yes Asher, the Tampa will work fine if you're on a tight budget, but if you ask which of the two is "better" (meaning which is most likely to provide acceptable results in the greatest number of recording situations), the answer is pretty straightforward; get the Brick.

Ashermusic

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 03:08:28 PM »

hargerst wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 19:28

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 09:40

Best of luck.

Yeah, I agree that if he's tried the other pre and likes it, that's fine, but you're backpedaling, Terry, and I gotta say something about that.

Everybody here doesn't have a world class studio or an unlimited budget, and they have to watch their money when making equipment choices.  The temptation is to always ask, "Is there a cheap solution to my problem?".  A lot of times, the answer is yes.  But sometimes, the answer is no, and that's where you, William, Ross, and a bunch of others come in.

Equipment comes in a lot of different flavors and packages: good, good for just a few things, tempermental, flimsy, reliable, built like a tank, one trick ponies, and all combinations of those qualities.  In bigger studios, certain names keep popping up, over and over.  

Even our little place (in Nowhere, Texas) has 3 rooms, with an SSL 4048, an  MCI 556D, and a Soundtracs 32x8, and a ton of mics and outboards to support 3 rooms. So, do all of us here have more exposure to a wider range of equipment than a guy with a computer in his bedroom and a pair of small nearfields?  Sure we do.

How many of us tried the Alesis 3630 when it first came out, and decided it wasn't a useful tool?  I bought an AKG C3000 when the damn thing sold for $848, only to turn around and sell it a year later for $150 bucks, cuz it wasn't very useful.

Sometimes I get lucky buying a new piece of equipment; I have one of the first Neumann TLM103's one of the first RNC's, and the prototypes of the AEA R84, and they're still in use, every day.

The point is I'm a gearslut; so are you Terry, Ross, William, Fletcher, and a bunch of other guys here, whether you care to admit it or not.  Manufacturers respect your opinions, and often seek out your advice on new products.

When Asher gets a bunch of us all saying, "get the Brick over the M-Audio Tampa" (and count my voice in there,too), maybe there's a reason.  Yes Asher, the Tampa will work fine if you're on a tight budget, but if you ask which of the two is "better" (meaning which is most likely to provide acceptable results in the greatest number of recording situations), the answer is pretty straightforward; get the Brick.

You guys are taking my comment WAY too seriously. This was merely my way of saying, "I have given you my opinion, Terry has given you his. His is worth more than mine because of who he is, what he has done, and what he knows.

He is a first class engineer. I am a first class composer who only engineers out of self defense on low budgets and the Tampa has seved me well for my limited needs.

BTW Harvey, the Brick is also less money than the Tampa. isn't it?.

www.jayasher.com

hargerst

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 04:36:12 PM »

Ashermusic wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 14:08

You guys are taking my comment WAY too seriously. This was merely my way of saying, "I have given you my opinion, Terry has given you his. His is worth more than mine because of who he is, what he has done, and what he knows.

He is a first class engineer. I am a first class composer who only engineers out of self defense on low budgets and the Tampa has seved me well for my limited needs.

No, they both a MSRP of $500.  The Tampa has gotten some steller reviews from people, but it's usually from people that don't have a lot of experience with other preamps. It's usually based on being their first or second preamp, so yes, it's a glowing review, but it doesn't mean much, to me anyway.

The Brick has found its way into a lot of major studios and we're impressed with ours.  I also have some M-Audio products, like the Audio Buddy, and the DMP3, which don't impress me that much. They're ok for cheap, but that's it, just ok.

So, what's the bottom line?  I think you'll find the Brick in more major studios than the Tampa, and I think you'll find a lot more "pro's" using the Brick, not the Tampa. Does that make the Tampa "bad"?  Of course not.  But if you're asking a lot of pro's on this forum which of the two to buy, the answer is gonna be the Brick.

Ashermusic

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »

hargerst wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 21:36

Ashermusic wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 14:08

No, they both a MSRP of $500.  The Tampa has gotten some steller reviews from people, but it's usually from people that don't have a lot of experience with other preamps. It's usually based on being their first or second preamp, so yes, it's a glowing review, but it doesn't mean much, to me anyway.

The Brick has found its way into a lot of major studios and we're impressed with ours.  I also have some M-Audio products, like the Audio Buddy, and the DMP3, which don't impress me that much. They're ok for cheap, but that's it, just ok.

So, what's the bottom line?  I think you'll find the Brick in more major studios than the Tampa, and I think you'll find a lot more "pro's" using the Brick, not the Tampa. Does that make the Tampa "bad"?  Of course not.  But if you're asking a lot of pro's on this forum which of the two to buy, the answer is gonna be the Brick.

Well not to be argumentative but I do not that Duncan Sheik said he has an Avalon 737 and the Tampa and when he wants to do something in a hurry and just have it sound good he will often opt for the Tampa.

www.jayasher.com

Tomas Danko

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »

Ashermusic wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 22:12

Well not to be argumentative but I do not that Duncan Sheik said he has an Avalon 737 and the Tampa and when he wants to do something in a hurry and just have it sound good he will often really for the Tampa.

Maybe that's because the Tampa does not have the hyper hyped high end found in the Avalon?

For what it's worth, the Tampa preamp sounds nothing like the preamps found elsewhere in M-Audio products. It's pretty agile with good transient response, giving you a fairly competent "in your face" vocal sound. For acoustic instruments however I'd find it too gray and two dimensional.

I'd rather use Tampa as a preamp than the old Mackie's.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Tomas Danko

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 06:38:40 PM »

hargerst wrote on Sun, 27 August 2006 11:20

That ain't "deification"; it's called "R.E.S.P.E.C.T.".  It comes with age and experience, if you're lucky. It's also called "Been down that road before", and "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt".  After a while in this business, you learn what works, and what doesn't. Opinion, based on actual experience, counts more.

Mr. Manning must be having a lot of logistical problems with his T-shirt storage department these days.

I'm usually with Fletcher's NTLFH view that until you use the gadget yourself you don't know anything about it. However, sorting out the lemons before investigating further is heaven sent and this is exactly what numerous voices in unison can do for you.

Especially when those voices are husky and seasoned, as I imagine the friendly voices of Terry Manning, Bob Olhsson, Bill Mueller, Ross Hogarth, William Wittman et al.

To point out the duds to avoid I'd much rather go with a handful of professionally practicing gentlemen where I do find a lot of integrity among them, instead of a hundred monkeys tapping about on their computers avoiding any resemblance whatsoever of the works of Shakespeare and hence ending up on Gearslutz.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

hargerst

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 06:59:47 PM »

I don't mean to "damn the Tampa (or M-Audio) with faint praise". I've tried the two I mentioned and they were ok.  I like their Audiophile 2496 card, which we use here daily.

Is the Tampa a great product?  Based on what I've heard, it's not bad, but the Brick seems to be better as an all around performer, useful on a lotta things.  The Brick we have here is certainly nice sounding and very well built.

From what I've heard, the Tampa is aimed at the "prosumer market", and as a home studio product, it may well be great, and even work great in our smaller market studio, where we don't have a lot of great, "top of the line" gear. (We have some, but not a lot.)

All I'm saying is if people come on a "pro forum" and ask for "pro recommendations", they shouldn't be too surprised when they get these answers.

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 07:39:11 PM »

All's well that ends well.

Ashermusic

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 07:43:38 PM »

Indeed. Quick decent vocals is exactly what I use it for.

www.jayasher.com
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 16 queries.