R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Practice: Text, EAN ISRC  (Read 1905 times)

twelfthandvine

Best Practice: Text, EAN ISRC
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:12:15 AM »

I'm sure that we have all adopted various procedures distilled over time for the areas of our work that aren't  ... well ... musical in nature.  These include quality control processes, risk management strategies and administrative functions.  All important aspects of the business of mastering.

These are talked about from time to time in various topics here.  I wonder, though, if there would be a benefit in looking at a few of these sorts of things specifically, with a view to establishing topics of 'best practice' that users could conveniently refer to when searhing the site.  Perhaps I could begin:

I'm lucky enough to receive referrals from a major replicator.  Last week I worked on a referred project that had been recorded, mixed and already mastered in the USA.  But, there were issues with the Pre- Master and I was asked to re-author it, which I did.

The CD had Text, EAN code and ISRCs.  So, of course I do the usual QC and progress to professional risk management mode (they are going to press up around 10,000 of these I think).

It's at that point I begin to think about what 'best practice' actually is.

What we do ... particularly where there's CD Text ... is print the CD Info from Plextools and present this, along with a Reference CD and a detailed letter (generated from a precedent and containing all the predictable warnings and reminders to check details etc) to the client.  We try to get them to sign off on it, but it is worded in a way that makes this academic if they don't get around to it.

So, what can be improved in this process?  What's best practice for this stuff?

Kind regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

jtr

Re: Best Practice: Text, EAN ISRC
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:26:46 PM »

I never generate a master  or ref until the client (or authorized rep) signs off on the supplemental material- CD Text, ISRC, EAN. It's part of my business model and I'm always able to take care of this
via email. This was a carryover from my Sony days, where all of our clients were non-Sony labels- (we were a mercenary group under Sony Disc Manufacturing rather than Sony Music.)

This was consistent with our DVD authoring documentation as well- we tried to obtain as much paper approval in advance as we could before authoring a ref. It just seemed natural to use the same approach with CD's.

It is sometimes annoying to the customer, but it's never chased anyone away and I've dodged the typo bullet many times.

Greg Youngman

Re: Best Practice: Text, EAN ISRC
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:52:18 PM »

A Bob Katz reply regarding chain of custody.  I do this with every project.

"Seal the master in a plastic bag with a clear note on the jewel box inside that says, "CD Master, open only at factory." Then only the idiots will open the bag. At that point, no poster, sign, or other written material is going to help you.

BK"
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.