R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The curse of being dependant on one machine  (Read 3967 times)

lagerfeldt

The curse of being dependant on one machine
« on: August 22, 2006, 04:36:16 AM »

My Gyratec X is off to have the a tube changed and re-calibrated.

That's the curse of being so dependant on one machine, I can't get any mastering done for a whole week. Bugger.  Evil or Very Mad

What do you other pros do? You have enough alternatives so it doesn't matter if one is off?

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: The curse of being dependant on one machine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 07:55:14 AM »

I guess the moral of this is to learn to do it yourself. Changing a tube is a nothing event it is simpler than changing a light bulb (just don't get burned) as to the calibration can the factory or builder show you how to do it? I would imagine it would not require more than a VOM and or O'Scope.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Viitalahde

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:35:14 AM »

Yes, calibrating a G10 isn't that hard at all, especially if Jakob could supply you a matched pair of front-end tubes.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

Ed Littman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:57:31 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Tue, 22 August 2006 04:36

What do you other pros do? You have enough alternatives so it doesn't matter if one is off?

I use less & less compression as time goes by. I've got the stc-8
& the ltd-2. i could still work without them & be quite happy with the results.
Ed

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:32:28 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Tue, 22 August 2006 03:36

You have enough alternatives so it doesn't matter if one is off?

Well, the only piece I'd rather not have if at all possible is the Sontec, which appeared to be sick the other day. After a few little checks I managed (with help from the great Chris Muth) to find the issue and correct it. That being said, I own two Sontecs, just in case...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Viitalahde

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 09:49:43 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 22 August 2006 14:32

I own two Sontecs, just in case...

I certainly hope they won't blow up too soon. Brad, I remember you have been talking about someone trying to make new HS-1000's? Was that Chris Muth or someone else? How's the process going?
Jaakko Viitalähde
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

Gold

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »

I couldn't imagine owning a lathe without being able to fix it myself. If I had to hire myself to work on it I'd be broke. It doesn't go down very often and at this point I've seen most of what can go wrong. That said I ran into vexing mechanical problem at the beginning of the summer. I knew exactly where the problem was but I couldn't fix it. It was a half nut/lead screw problem. The half nut got trashed. I replaced it and cleaned everything with a q-tip and acetone. No dice. After a week of pounding my head against the wall I decided to try a special tool. I went to the deli and got a toothpick. Sure enough some remains of the prevoius half nut came out. It didn't help that it was clear. It took a long time to get all that stuff out. I'll take bad electronics any day. The clients weren't happy but I didn't send any bad masters out, which is more important.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Jerry Tubb

Re: The curse of being dependent on one machine
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 11:45:46 AM »

To address the general question about spare gear, we have spares, backups, or alternatives for just about everything for two rooms; power amps, drivers, DAWs, iLoks, analog machines, EQs, Compressors, ADC/DACs, etc, etc, etc. That said, some of it is from a previous generation of gear, just sitting back in the shop, but would work in a pinch, till a repair, rental, or replacement could happen. .

Also I think one of the most important back up plans, is to have a business savings account, or a big credit card, or both, at the ready to replace gear on a moments notice, should the need arise. Like the old Chinese proverb says "when the thatch is thin... thunderstorms".

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Fibes

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 03:57:44 PM »

My G5 has been down for close to 2 weeks but my trusty G4 Powerbook has been tracking every day and night with plenty O' editing and even some minor mixing. I am however up a creek when it comes to big rock mixes and thankfully my clients are being patient.

So having a back up plan for the center of the universe stuff is essential. I can do without the other stuff for a spell, infact, it is a healthy challenge/shake up IMNSHO.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Viitalahde

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »

That minded me, I've been meaning to buy a spare HD for which I would give a full installation of the OS, Samplitude, drivers - anything I need in a mastering session. If it ever happens a HD blows up, I could install a new one in 15 minutes..
Jaakko Viitalähde

Gold

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »

One nice thing about professional equipment is that it's built to be fixed. It's impractical to keep two of everything but I'm a maniac about spare parts. I keep a well stocked stash of transistors, resistors, capacitors ect for everything I use.I also have schematics for everything. The above example was a worst case scenario and a rarity.

I know where the bodies are buried with my rig. I have a few spare modules for the lathe amplifier rack and can fix most anything in a half hour.

The only stuff I don't have prints for is the Maselec stuff. I don't know anyone that does. Or if they do they aren't saying. I do have some spare opamps for them.

Then there is the computer. I hate computers. I don't fix them. I kick them. Except for the Zuma which oddly enough needs to be kicked every so often to work. Reseat the card, and in a crisis flex them.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

jackthebear

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 12:59:49 AM »

I think it helps to have an extra unit around if the budget permits.

With 3 eqs and 3 compressors as well as 2 sets of converters I don't stress if anything goes down but so far there have been no problems.

I also have my geeks come in to do general helth checks regularly on my gear and computers.

Money well spent me thinks.

An ounce of prevention blah blah blah.....
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

jason goz

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 06:33:23 AM »

I lost a lot of hair in my early disc cutting days because I was using the Orofon disc cutting amps and cutting head which for various reasons would go down regularly.I learned then that the only way to reduce downtime is to have as many spares as possible,But murphy generally strikes when you least need it.
Jason

ammitsboel

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 05:17:17 PM »

Gold wrote on Wed, 23 August 2006 00:06

Then there is the computer. I hate computers. I don't fix them. I kick them. Except for the Zuma which oddly enough needs to be kicked every so often to work. Reseat the card, and in a crisis flex them.

Computers are invented to make everything more complicated.
When I have computer problems my brain is on fire because there's too many variables.

Then again, almost all people use one and it's because of them we have things like this forum. Not having one would result in sending snail mail, visiting people, having more time with the family, less stress, more originality and etc...

H
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

compasspnt

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 06:27:53 PM »

I think we are "redundant poor."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.