R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40   Go Down

Author Topic: Sontecs...  (Read 265747 times)

dave-G

Re: Sontecs...
« Reply #570 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »

none more black.

Too bad it's not a 462 C11

DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

jdg

« Reply #571 on: November 16, 2010, 09:29:37 PM »

all black but im just pissed thats not my EQ, so i'm gonna vote for puke color
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Allen Corneau

« Reply #572 on: November 16, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »

Either way, that 462 is one sexy beast!

Which I had one. Crying or Very Sad
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Bonati

« Reply #573 on: November 16, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »

Robin - awesome! Congrats. How long did it take to get it? I love the 462.

I'm with the all black. It looks more like a weapon.
Josh Bonati
Brooklyn, NY
www.bonatimastering.com

Ben F

« Reply #574 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:19 PM »

Meh...I dunno, the black makes it look a bit like a UAD plug-in. Does look the best though.

Love the original knobs and people know it's a Sontec. Anyway Robin stop fiddling with knobs and let us know your first impressions! Best air ever? Loving the midrange?

index.php/fa/15861/0/

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #575 on: November 17, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »

You know how, at the beginning of Black Country Woman, when the engineer says there's an airplane, but, Jimmy Page says, "...nah, leave it"...?   In that same voice, I vote for leaving the Sontec knobs as-is.   They are already "ne plus ultra."  There's no better looking knob.  Like Mickey Mouse in spats and gloves.  And it was the knobs that were used when the thing was still becoming legendary.  Why hide that?  Any better can only be worse.   That ain't no 250-, 'neither!    Cool  

Enjoy,
    Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

blip

« Reply #576 on: November 17, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »

FYI to anyone in the market for a used Sontec, this is likely a SCAM. http://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/2008995320.html

The ad uses the exact pics, copy, etc. as when we sold that unit on ebay a while back. Beware.

Bonati

« Reply #577 on: November 17, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »

The dudes are right, I've come to my senses. I re-vote to leave as-is.
Josh Bonati
Brooklyn, NY
www.bonatimastering.com

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #578 on: November 17, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated. I'll distill them down to this:

- red/white/blue wins for practicability/ergonomics
- black on black wins for looks/vanity
- original grey/black for status/tradition

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the black version... guess that says something about me ;) Maybe I can somehow get the colour pointer rings to be better visible for decent color coding.

Bonati wrote on Wed, 17 November 2010 04:09

Robin - awesome! Congrats. How long did it take to get it? I love the 462.

I got it second hand, so there was hardly any wait.

Ben F wrote on Wed, 17 November 2010 04:16

Anyway Robin stop fiddling with knobs and let us know your first impressions! Best air ever? Loving the midrange?

"ganged stereo controls on an EQ are amazing. you feel like a god" (McCaig, 2010). It's true, I'm loving the ganged controls to death. And the Shallco frequency switches feel great. I'm not sure why, but the fact that they go 'round and round', i.e. that there's no stop point on either end, somehow really does something for me.

Sound wise, I'm immensly impressed by how clean and precise the unit feels while at the same time being smooth, for lack of a better word. Musical may be a fitting term, whatever it means to you ;)

Reg. highs/air: To me, the unit comes with two distinct flavours:

The high shelve feels very precise, very neutral. Definitely less soft than that of the 250c. This one I'm only beginning to appreciate and find uses for, but I feel it has the potential to be much used once I get to grips with it.

Then there's the highest parametric band, which can be set to 25, 23, 21, 19 & so on kHz. This one I've found fantastic for transparent air so far. Boosting it at a very high frequency setting and playing with the Q control gives fantastic control over clarity. Does the 432 have the same frequency choices?

As for the rest of the bands: What can I say... so far, whatever band I dialled in sounded right on every job. Effortlessly. I haven't really felt the need to fiddle with any of the other EQs since the Sontec 462 arrived (except for the some Avalon2077 box tone or the Sontec250 tone & high shelve).

One thing I noticed is that I'm finding myself using the lowest band a lot to tweak the low end where previously I often preferred to cut with digital EQ.

Anyway, I've only had the unit for a few weeks now, but I can already say with certainty that it's the best thing since sliced bread. If you give me a few more weeks, I'll come up with some juicy adjectives too :)
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

hnewman

« Reply #579 on: November 17, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »

That's hot.  Jealous.  
Why not just get the matching coloured pointers for the frequency knobs?  Very functional yet very Night Rider.

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #580 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »

hnewman wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 02:56

That's hot.  Jealous.  
Why not just get the matching coloured pointers for the frequency knobs?  Very functional yet very Night Rider.

They don't make them, unfortunately. For the large 36mm Elma knobs, there's only red, grey and black.

I guess I could check the yellow pages for an airbrush / model painting service and have those pointers custom coloured.
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

jackthebear

« Reply #581 on: November 18, 2010, 04:08:05 PM »

24-96 Mastering wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 11:26

Anyway, I've only had the unit for a few weeks now, but I can already say with certainty that it's the best thing since sliced bread. If you give me a few more weeks, I'll come up with some juicy adjectives too Smile

It's a long honeymoon Robin.......no signs of ours fading at this stage.......
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Allen Corneau

« Reply #582 on: November 18, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 15:08

24-96 Mastering wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 11:26

Anyway, I've only had the unit for a few weeks now, but I can already say with certainty that it's the best thing since sliced bread. If you give me a few more weeks, I'll come up with some juicy adjectives too Smile

It's a long honeymoon Robin.......no signs of ours fading at this stage.......

Oh, get a room you two!

Razz
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

dietrich

« Reply #583 on: December 08, 2010, 07:17:26 AM »

As much as I love the sound of my 250c, even with gain mod-matching frequencies side to side is not safe for mastering. I find myself barely pushing gains even when in instances where say a 2db boost is needed. Matching volumes by ear is ok. matching frequencies is near impossible without tedious metering.

Time to find alternative until find good 400 series

Silvertone

« Reply #584 on: December 08, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »

dietrich wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 06:17

As much as I love the sound of my 250c, even with gain mod-matching frequencies side to side is not safe for mastering. I find myself barely pushing gains even when in instances where say a 2db boost is needed. Matching volumes by ear is ok. matching frequencies is near impossible without tedious metering.

Time to find alternative until find good 400 series

Buzz Audio REQ 2.2 is worth a try... I reviewed it and ended up buying the unit especially after taking the unit to Masterdisk and comparing it to their Sontecs.  Made the choice rather easy after that.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.