R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compression causing fluttering - I can't get rid of it.  (Read 1126 times)

dea

Compression causing fluttering - I can't get rid of it.
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »

I am adding some compression to my stereo master and find I just can't do anything to rid the fluttering hi-hats.  I varied the attack and release and and even set the compressor to auto and its not handling it.  Weird.  I would have thought a shorter release time would have helped.

Maybe its the knee configuration thats causing it?

Also, during the song, it seems that the expander/gate is raising and lowering the volume in a random, and noticable way.  Up and down during certain passages ( many during the course of the song ).

The song is a MIDI rendition of Oscar Peterson's, "Moanin".  I am putting my drums to it and my bro is going to put his bass to it.  The song is pretty slow and because of its inherent nature, has quiet spots througout the song.  There I can see how the expander/gate would be going up and down like that, but I could use some pointers to help me gain some control over this fluctuating levels. ...and the quick fluttering of the hi-hat.

My guess is its a combination of attack, release, and knee adjustments, but I am just having trouble nailing the it down.  The first thing I thought of was just run through all combinations, but that would be many.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.
Demir Ateser
Musician ( drummer ) and Music Production Enthusiast
demirateser@yahoo.com

bblackwood

Re: Compression causing fluttering - I can't get rid of it.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:10:11 AM »

Without hearing it it's virtually impossible to be much help, but a good starting point for buss compression is slow(ish) attack, fast(ish) release. What 'slow' and 'fast' mean here vary from compressor to compressor, so you have to play around.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.