R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ground lift question for output of rack  (Read 3468 times)

rjd2

ground lift question for output of rack
« on: August 19, 2006, 06:49:43 PM »

hi, i have a mic pre that i had racked previously with the output ground lifted, and it sounded fine. my question-i just found the matching eq from the console, and intend to re-rack with the mic pre output hard-wired to the eq input, and then the eq out wired to an output. so....im assuming i should lift the ground on the eq output. what should i do from the mic pre out to the eq in? ground lift or shield to shield?

ps-i know i could try it either way and listen, but taking racks apart can be a pain, and you guys are pros, so i'd like to at least start at a point that is sensible. thanks a lot!!!
rj krohn

Andy Peters

Re: ground lift question for output of rack
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:44:31 PM »

rjd2 wrote on Sat, 19 August 2006 15:49

hi, i have a mic pre that i had racked previously with the output ground lifted, and it sounded fine. my question-i just found the matching eq from the console, and intend to re-rack with the mic pre output hard-wired to the eq input, and then the eq out wired to an output. so....im assuming i should lift the ground on the eq output. what should i do from the mic pre out to the eq in? ground lift or shield to shield?

ps-i know i could try it either way and listen, but taking racks apart can be a pain, and you guys are pros, so i'd like to at least start at a point that is sensible. thanks a lot!!!

Assuming proper balanced inputs and outputs (which includes no "pin 1" problems), then the correct answer is: don't lift the shields at all.

And don't lift the AC mains grounds, either.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.