R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: nirvana "drain you" session.  (Read 12643 times)

drumsound

Re: nirvana "drain you" session.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 04:59:17 AM »

despite I said this over at the Recording Techniques forum at Tape Op and I've been saying it for years.

Nevermind in a record that succeeded despite its' sonics.  It is a record of amazing pop songs performed wonderfully with a completely shitty sound.  I believe most of the shitty sound comes from the tracking .  I could be wrong...

Flame On.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 10:48:28 AM »

What are your specific complaints regarding Nevermind's sonics?  I like the way the record sounds.  We're not privy to the raw drum sounds, assuming the common theory about the use of drum samples in the mix is true, but I think the guitars are fine.

wwittman

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 11:06:17 PM »

wow.

I think Nevermind is a great sounding record and in fact i think that's no small part of why it took over radio so effectively.
That and one terrific band with great songs.

but the sound really helped them.

now the NEXT record I thought was an enourmous step backward...
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

scott volthause

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 11:57:52 PM »

i actually thought in utero sounded good. less sheen, yeah, but it makes the perfect soundtrack to cobain's suicide.

stripped.

stark.

raw.

pg666

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 10:56:19 AM »

the guitars on 'nevermind' sound utterly bizarre.. completely mids-less and distant. everything else sounds ok, if unremarkable.

compared to other pop music at the time it sounded really huge and raw, which probably helped it become a hit. but it hasn't held up too well imo..

jimmyjazz

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2006, 03:56:34 PM »

pg666 wrote on Sat, 26 August 2006 10:56

the guitars on 'nevermind' sound utterly bizarre.. completely mids-less and distant. everything else sounds ok, if unremarkable.

compared to other pop music at the time it sounded really huge and raw, which probably helped it become a hit. but it hasn't held up too well imo..

I am completely dumbfounded.  Your characterization of Nevermind is virtually the polar opposite of mine.  (I do agree that it sounds huge compared to other efforts of the day.  Then again, it sounds huge compared to most albums ever recorded.  I don't think it sounds particularly raw.)

wwittman

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2006, 05:49:50 PM »

If it was "unremarkable", what similar genre record sounded like it before it?

AFTER it virtually EVERYONE was trying to copy it or some aspect of it.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxim

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »

scott wrote:

"it makes the perfect soundtrack to cobain's suicide"

i'm not sure i've ever wanted to hear that

but, maybe, just maybe, all this has more to do with kurt than butch or steve

my favourite song of his comes from the 'in utero' album

maybe, both engineers did a great job of conveying the artist's intention

it's just that the intention was, ultimately, fucked up

randomguy

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 06:59:07 PM »

great video pq666, thanks!

but do you guys have any idea how he recorded the guitar for the intro?
coz the attack stands out as very prominent and crunchy, as if he overdubbed a clean take with a "percussive" take made just of ghost notes... but he doesn't say that at all in the video -- did he just not mention it, or do you think he somehow managed to have that kind of attack with a single take?

chrisj

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 10:35:29 PM »

I just tried like hell to find information and got nowhere but it would make perfect sense if the Jagstang (or whatever he used there!) had a low impedance pickup.

That's exactly what you'll hear from a low impedance pickup into a hot amp. I've played a pickup like that myself in an old version of my guitar and that's just how it feels Smile

the figurehead

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 04:50:36 AM »

pg666 wrote on Sat, 26 August 2006 09:56

I agree. I remember at the time, thinking it sounded great and huge... but I just cant hear it that way anymore. Once the distortion kicks in on Teen Spirit... I just about want to lose my lunch... every time. It worked better on some of the other songs, but had, say, Albini produced it, it could have been a much better record.

...and that Smells Like Teen Spirit was supposed to be a Pixies tribute/ripoff is just insulting (although no one seems to know/care that the song, musically, is a blatant ripoff of Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla").

No offense to Butch Vig... it's really only my opinion, but to me, he's ruined every record he's ever touched (save Garbage, which was semi-interesting). His production does, however, capture perfectly the instant gratification/artificial aftertaste feel of the early to mid 90's.

All that said, if we're talking "grunge" I always thought the stuff Rick Parashar was doing around the same time was consistently more interesting and pleasing to the ear...

gatino

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2006, 08:14:39 AM »

chrisj wrote on Wed, 16 August 2006 22:21

OK, you're on! I'll start. (others with only a couple could still do this)

Cream- Disraeli Gears...

thx for posting all the info. i'm already hooked. i love stuff like this...where to start?!

gatino

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2006, 10:49:26 AM »

the figurehead wrote on Sat, 04 November 2006 03:50

...no one seems to know/care that the song, musically, is a blatant ripoff of Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla").

i don't hear it at all. care to explain?

xonlocust

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2006, 12:33:49 AM »

the figurehead wrote on Sat, 04 November 2006 03:50

No offense to Butch Vig... it's really only my opinion, but to me, he's ruined every record he's ever touched (save Garbage, which was semi-interesting). His production does, however, capture perfectly the instant gratification/artificial aftertaste feel of the early to mid 90's.

to his credit, killdozer's "12 point buck" is amazing, as are laughing hyenas "life of crime" records.  but that's more late 80s.   i believe it was kurts fondness of that vintage of touch and go records that butch did, that made him want to work with him in the first place.  

M Carter

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2006, 10:34:19 AM »

As much as I love Nevermind, I still dig In Utero as a much better representation of the band.  It sounds much more raw... the imperfections are more glaringly obvious (in a good way)... it's got all the things I miss from popular music nowadays.
Matt Carter
General Manager
Manhattan Sound Recording
www.manhattansoundrecording.com
(212) 564 8248
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.