R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: nirvana "drain you" session.  (Read 12658 times)

pg666

nirvana "drain you" session.
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »

(long time, not much postin'..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7liOFBMSc

this was posted on another board i read sometimes and i'm sure it'll get some interesting reactions. enjoy.

chrisj

Re: nirvana "drain you" session.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:52:23 AM »

This is off the Classic Albums DVD for Nirvana "Nevermind".

...which is a hell of a good DVD- one of the best of the series.

starscream2010

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:05:48 PM »

chrisj wrote on Mon, 14 August 2006 10:52

This is off the Classic Albums DVD for Nirvana "Nevermind".

...which is a hell of a good DVD- one of the best of the series.

I totally agree and I have 15 of the dvd's in the series.
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

chrisj

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 01:27:04 PM »

starscream2010 wrote on Mon, 14 August 2006 13:05

Hah. Piker. I have 18 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

TOTAL AE candy.

Hey, maybe we should each give recommendations!

starscream2010

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 01:52:40 PM »

chrisj wrote on Mon, 14 August 2006 12:27

starscream2010 wrote on Mon, 14 August 2006 13:05

Hah. Piker. I have 18 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

TOTAL AE candy.

Hey, maybe we should each give recommendations!

Dammit! Beat by 3... Very Happy  

Yeah, maybe we should, they're VERY addictive.

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

chrisj

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 11:21:58 PM »

OK, you're on! I'll start. (others with only a couple could still do this)

Cream- Disraeli Gears
Not one of the best, or the most technical, but it's not all a historical reminiscence either. High points include current footage of Ginger Baker demonstrating an African rhythm- while maintaining a totally unrelated beat on a ride cymbal. Flat-out astonishing, and he sort of grins happily at you while doing this impossible thing. I want to be that sort of old geezer Very Happy

Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
Fantastic for if you're having band problems and need reminding that it could be worse. This DVD has more soloing of individual tracks than most- soloed bass guitar, soloed backing vocals (VERY nice) and perhaps the most startling of all, soloing of a percussive noise that is part of the guts of "Second Hand News". Lindsey Buckingham is spent, Stevie Nicks semi-spent, but Christine McVie only improves with age. One of the best DVDs, for all the focus on song construction.

The Grateful Dead- Anthem To Beauty
One of the more historical DVDs. If I wanted to see the Dead play the Playboy television show I'm sure there are hundreds of videos, tapes and bootlegs out there... Pretty decent as a historical one, but if you've read a lot of books and such on the Dead there's nothing new here.

Jimi Hendrix- Electric Ladyland
Definitely a historical slant, but there's moments where it goes deeper. We hear soloed tracks (such as Hendrix vocals) but typically these are not presented as such, instead they're just background to narration about something else, typically historical. There's a bit of talk about the multitrack tapes at times, and there's a lovely cameo by Mike Finnegan at his B3 that's charming, funny, and includes ravishing bits of B3 playing as Mike talks. He jokes, with fine humor, "It's not like people would go 'we need B3- GET FINNEGAN!'" Well... I would!

Iron Maiden- The Number Of The Beast
I'm starting to grin already- this one is FUN. These people seem to be just awesome people, there's loads of good video and it's generally illustrating some point, and you really get the feeling of what it was like to be in Maiden at the time- there's a bit of track-soloing but this isn't really a 'study everything' one so much as a feel-good one. Bruce Dickinson The Fewking Air Raid Siren carries this one- the interviews with him are exuberant and immensely appealing, and in a way there's something to be learned from that- why be a rock and roll star if you're not going to have an awesome time?

Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Now this has some tech meat in it. Lots of time with Gus Dudgeon the producer or Davey Johnstone or Nigel Ohlsson talking about the music, the recording, the engineering... Empty piano shells hung above the piano for resonance, a detailed rundown of the increasing levels of intensity in the backing guitar parts for 'Funeral For A Friend', soloing of various things notably Dee Murray's bass leading off 'Danny Bailey"... lots of fresh mixes off the multitracks, step-by-step reconstruction of how to make a boring plain recording into "Bennie and the Jets", and same as with Mike Finnegan, when Davey Johnstone plays guitar to illustrate what he's talking about, the amp in the room sounds unthinkably marvellous- some very small tube combo, but whatever it is, it's unbelievable. This was a band of terrifyingly effective players, and that's made very clear throughout.

(I'll do five to a post)

chrisj

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 11:57:14 PM »

Judas Priest- British Steel
Whee! Surprisingly tech-heavy in some ways. We don't get that much track-soloing and dissection, but we get a good dose of what the Priest guitars sound like in the room thanks to some dual-guitar demonstrating, we get the bass part to 'The Rage' performed solo in the studio, and lots of recording details are revealed- such as the fact that all the tracks were recorded in rooms of a house, not a dead studio room. Also, the sound effects for 'Metal Gods' are dissected- stuff like trays of silverware being jangled, and a guitar strap (cord?) slapped against a table which made the sound of a whip crack. The video performance footage is impressive, too- I kept rewinding some bits over and over simply because I couldn't believe the sounds coming out of Halford. Truly the Metal God.

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Catch A Fire
Fascinating, though not the most educational DVD out there. There's a lot of history which if you've read 'Catch A Fire', the book about Marley, won't be news to you. There's a bit of multitrack-mongering, primarily about what different instruments got recorded together to fit on the 8-track... and you get to see some great reggae musicians play, including in studio filming. We can't have some of the greatest (Carly, Bob, Peter) because they're dead. There is one dread interviewed who has the most astonishing, rumbling, smokey, subsonic voice. It's almost impossible to understand a word he says Smile

Metallica- Metallica (The Black Album)
One of the best! You not only get a sense of the excitement of the time as this metal band broke for mass acceptance, not only a big dose of these wild, childish, opinionated musicians, not only footage of the actual grueling recording sessions (VERY rare even in these DVDs) but quite a bit of detailed breakdown of tracks, arrangements, sequencing- the whole picture. Jason Newsted will say "And Justice For All" was frustrating for him because you couldn't really hear the bass, and immediately you'll get an excerpt from the video for "One" from that album, demonstrating it, and then move on to more discussion. This DVD is strongest on production, explaining how Bob Rock convinced the band to allow slower tempos, or coached Hetfield to sing, or goaded Kirk Hammett to greater heights by pissing him off. There's an amusing section on the orchestra backing tracks for "Nothing Else Matters", including an excerpt from the 'Elevator Version'- just orchestra, voice and a guitar! Sounds fantastic. Then we see Metallica playing a concert with an orchestra, with great seriousness- which is hilarious... This is a great, great DVD for AEs and producers. Top recommendation.

Motorhead- Ace Of Spades
Great fun, much less useful. Anytime you're spending a lot of time looking at Lemmy with a highball and two groupies in the back of a limo, you know you're not going to get a heavy dose of 'this is the mic we used'. Philthy Animal Taylor is most entertaining, though. In general you're grateful they are all safely on the other side of the screen Very Happy crazy guys!

Nirvana- Nevermind
Very good. The bit that turned up on YouTube, above, is one of the heavier tech interludes, but throughout this is a strangely inspirational DVD. It gives you a sense of what rock production can be- footage of Cobain flinging himself into amps, a bit of stuff about the recording, some early history, a long segment on the out-of-control video shoot for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" during which Cobain got incredibly pissed off and the extras ran amok and destroyed the set (this made up much of the video but it was not planned!). At the end of this, you haven't learned much and haven't become any better of a person but you want to smash stuff up too. It'll reconnect you with your rock-and-roll guts.

chrisj

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 12:30:44 AM »

Pink Floyd- The Dark Side Of The Moon
Impressive. There are other DVDs that get more tech-heavy, but this is just as tech-heavy as you expect, although some of it isn't news (film of the tape loop actually playing the FX hook for 'Money', for instance- we know what loops are, but it's still cool to see). The strength of this DVD is in the way it conveys the scope of Dark Side- the ambition, the strangely simplistic expressions of such big themes. We get plenty of footage of Gilmour singing and playing, always impeccably. Roger Waters is quotable, acerbic and interesting. There is absolutely nothing in this as unguarded as some moments from 'Metallica', 'Yellow Brick Road' etc- people behave as if they're talking about a cultural monument, which they are- but it still is inspirational. And Gilmour's in-the-room tone is educational all by itself.

Queen- A Night At The Opera
Secrets revealed! Some of this stuff is just amazing- there's so much to learn. Even if you've been hacking guitar circuits since your teens (and know what distorted out-of-phase pickups are like) or have big rotos yourself (and have heard the distinctive 'explosive' sound of them) this DVD is still loaded with countless ideas. It might be the single most trick-heavy Classic Albums DVD. Roger Taylor demonstrating hihat stings with snare backbeats, Roy Thomas Baker soloing doubletracked Freddie Mercury vocals that are so tight they flange, the revelation of the secret behind 'that Queen vocal sound' (all three vocalists would sing each note of the harmony in unison- so a three-note harmony would be not less than nine voices, with each note getting a blend of all voices). And to top it off, Roger Taylor's singing is maybe the strongest of ANY rock dinosaur on any Classic Albums DVD, with only Pete Townsend really rivaling him- and that's more due to the power of Pete's delivery not his voice. Taylor's voice is just astonishing. A video clip of Freddie Mercury singing "Love Of My Life" unaccompanied in concert is no less astonishing. Highest recommendation.

Paul Simon- Graceland
Very interesting. This has a historical flavor, but it's on a personal level, illustrating how Simon felt at the time and why he did what he did- travel to Africa to lay lots of tracks for an album, only putting lyrics and voice to them later. There are interesting stories of Ladysmith Black Mambazo's first recording sessions with Simon, there's long clips from the nifty videos for "Boy In The Bubble" and "You Can Call Me Al" (in which it's pointed out that the video's very light, the music very light, but the words aren't actually that lightweight). The famous backward-spooling bass guitar break is explained. This DVD isn't hugely educational or inspirational, but it's charming- fun to watch.

Steely Dan- Aja
This early Classic Albums DVD is, as you might expect, very satisfactory tech-wise. Fagen and Becker dig into the multitracks and delight in wryly digging up all manner of details, talking about them extensively. We get to hear a metal chair-back track that underlies 'Josie'- a 'pheromone for tots' synth track in 'Deacon Blues' that 'actually doesn't sound anything like a celeste' but was inserted to add a flute-like brightness- they actually play the horn section soloed without, then with the synth, to demonstrate this. We see Rick Marotta playing 'Peg' and talking about the freedom to play subtly on Dan records and have it be heard. We hear all the failed 'Peg' solos before Jay Graydon cut the keeper. We hear a Michael McDonald harmony vocal bed for 'Peg', and then we hear just his high note- for which the Dan apologize to the poor fellow. We watch Bernard Purdie explain, and play, the Purdie Shuffle on 'Home At Last'. It's just endless. I'd rather have heard the guys talk more about the details than hear them playing live in the studio with many of the album's players- but who can blame them for wanting to play, too? Utterly highly recommended for anyone who likes hearing the individual tracks and secret vibe ingredients. You would never think there was so much going on in songs that seem so open and simple.

chrisj

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:01:06 AM »

U2- The Joshua Tree
This is great fun! Quite a bit of talk from Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, including the famous story of Eno trying to wreck "Where The Streets Have No Name" so he could re-record it properly. A fairly large amount of track-soloing and analysing, although in this case the music doesn't hinge on the secret ingredients much. You sure get a strong sense of how in-your-face and heart-on-the-sleeve the band were- they really chewed up the scenery, with complete conviction. There are some lovely moments such as The Edge explaining an arrangement idea- the way in which he ends 'With Or Without You' with a very simple guitar figure, no lead solo or anything. It's explained that this is actually a very weird mix- "it only sounds normal because you've heard it so  many times on the radio". A very good DVD, balancing some education, some inspiration, and some plain fun-to-watchness.

The Who- Who's Next
Of course one of the most classic albums out there- but this DVD has more to offer than some of the other DVDs for albums of that era. We hear alternate guitar solos, get bits of Keith Moonery soloed on playback- it's a very active exploration of the album. We get non-obvious history on early sessions and the way it was meant to be the sequel to 'Tommy'. We see Entwhistle playing in the studio, Daltrey talking about how he emotionally connected to 'Behind Blue Eyes', Entwhistle playing horns in the studio showing the parts from 'My Wife'. We get lots of concert footage, splendid stuff that really gets you itching to rock. And we get Townsend performing in the studio, with a lovely acoustic and splendid mics as he lays down a solo version of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' that's chilling, ravishing- he's one of the few Classic Albums subjects who is still a star performing like a star- other than Roger Taylor and Stevie Wonder (oh, also Bruce Dickinson) there aren't many singers who can do that. Some like David Gilmour, Elton John, Clapton, maybe Stevie Nicks can come up with something else that's still good, but Townsend still has the power.

Stevie Wonder- Songs In The Key Of Life
Lots of reunion footage- seems like this album was a lot of fun- when the musicians weren't being woken up at 3 AM to track by the irrepressible Stevie Wonder, on 'Wonder Time' Very Happy This one has the insider feel, of hanging around with the guys who make the music- a feel that's also shown in 'Standing In The Shadows of Motown', and this was also Motown although sharing none of the musicians. There's not a lot of discussion about the whys and wherefores of the tracking, but for synth lovers there's a section devoted to the Dream Machine, Stevie's Yamaha GX-1. Another neat segment is devoted to the way 'Pastime Paradise' became 'Gangsta's Paradise' and includes a live Coolio appearance in which Stevie appeared singing the Coolio song, to audience pandemonium. Finally, it's hard to top this DVD for examples of stone-cold crazy-good groove- the track 'I Wish' keeps popping up again and again, and anytime these guys get a beat going there's an intoxicating throb that's pure hit song.

And that's it for _my_ collection- until I get more. I want the Def Leppard one, just to see what Mutt Lange made them do Smile

Tom C

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 06:22:25 AM »

chrisj wrote on Thu, 17 August 2006 05:21

OK, you're on! I'll start. (others with only a couple could still do this)

Wow, thanks a lot for your time.

You just wrote down my next shopping list.
Tom

.signature failure

starscream2010

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 08:52:32 AM »

Well....  It would appear that we own the majority of the same dvd's Smile

I will give the best "run down" that I can, it might not be very long(chris), but I will do my best.

Regarding the Hysteria (Def Leppard) dvd...

It's not as in depth as the Metallica or Nirvana, or Queen for that matter, but is interesting none the less. Mutt Lange nor, Mike Shipley make a appearance on the dvd, but you do get to get to hear some board mixes and the guys in Def Leppard talk quite a bit and play some... basically, the whole record is made from loops of parts that have been flown in and manipulated in all sorts of ways, drum machines and bass kinda seem like an after thought and there's not a much actual "playing" on that record as you would think. It's definitely cool if you're a fan of the band and/or the record but Mutt Lange fans need not apply.

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell

This is cool in that Todd Rundgren talks about the production and shows some cool parts of the mixes. If Meatloaf would actually talk more and STOP singing over the mix, while he's supposed to be "listening" and/or explaining something, it might make it more enjoyable... but he is Meatloaf  Rolling Eyes
Jim Steinman is ok....

Chris, did you notice how GREAT Townsend's "demos" sounded on the Who's Next dvd? I was completely floored, if my demo's sounded that good, I would sleep MUCH better at night.

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

ATOR

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 09:22:31 AM »

Thanx for the reviews Chris, gotta get some of those DVDs myself.

Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

pg666

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 11:58:30 AM »

sounds like an interesting DVD series, but back to the topic..

no one else thought mr. vig was just a tad slimy?

starscream2010

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 12:31:57 PM »

pg666 wrote on Thu, 17 August 2006 10:58

I didn't get that feeling at all. Maybe I should revisit it... to me, he seemed to be VERY into the recording process and all about capturing the the right vibe/take no matter what. I dunno... I guess it's all about perception. I personally found it to be interesting and inspiring.

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

scott volthause

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 03:25:23 PM »

pg666 wrote on Thu, 17 August 2006 11:58

in regards to what? tricking kurt into doing more guitar tracks?

sure. but he was hired to do that. could be nirvana didn't like that, hence the move to albini for in utero.

i haven't heard anyone of the (surviving) members of nirvana complain of "dammit, that nevermind album just sold too many goddamn copies."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.