R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Hearing things right"  (Read 12460 times)

bblackwood

"Hearing things right"
« on: August 13, 2006, 11:04:04 AM »

I have a buddy I chat with regularly and we commonly refer to folks missing the boat by saying "he's not hearing it right". Sounds simple, and in some ways it is, but I think there are two factors to it, what you're born with and what you develop.

IMO, a great engineer is able to push play (err, hit the spacebar) and and immediately hear the issues with a track - they have a seemingly inborn reference point that is 'right'. What I mean by 'right' here is how most people would hear it. Here's my theory: everything in humanity, when charted, seems to follow a bell curve - there are the fewest people at the extremes, and a majority of folks falling in the middle. I believe that is true for how we hear things as well, whether it be what frequency response is most natural, what level of compression feels best, etc - where we fall on that bell curve determines how well what we do sounds to the rest of the world. I think we all naturally fall somewhere on that curve, and that explains why some are 'natural' mastering engineers, they just seem to immediately cut pleasing master, while others struggle for years.

So you're basically born to hear things a certain way, say, you've got sensitive ears and hi freqs are particularly bothersome for you. Since only a small portion of the record buying public is going to share in the sensitivity, if you cut records that really sound good to you, most people will likely find them dark. What do you do? You have to develop you're listening and your chain to balance that. That may mean spending time listening to records until they sound right to you. It may mean buying or modifying monitors to be slightly darker in their presentation so that what sounds good to you sounds good to others.

Anyway, I can flesh this out more if it makes sense, but that's my theory. I think that if people take the time to learn their room, monitors, and maybe most importantly themselves, the rest is 'easy'...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ged Leitch

Re: "Hearing things right"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 11:19:06 AM »

Totally nailed it Brad,

This is whats missing from me I guess, and is what the more experienced ME's just have as 2nd nature.

Myself, my ears like the "Middle" of that metaphorical bell curve.
e.g. - No hyped highs or lows, and a natural mid range.

I went through a horrible period at the start of the year (remember my post about getting sucked into mastering myths?)

I did some test masters for a guy when i was using less than adequate monitors(got rid of em) and was horrified when one of the tracks was played at a club! totally hyped highs and lows, and distorted!
Everyone just thought it was a cool tune thank god!
But i was devastated! really...

It was the old mistake of EQ'ing(far too much) on bad monitors and trying to compensate for them, not good.

Ever since then i've made it my mission to get back to basics and  do nothing but Listen to the mix.

If there are any EQ adjustments needed or would help then it's minimal at most, sometimes just a db on the bottom is all i do.

Again heres where the Pro's repeated and done to death advice and mantras really hit home!
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

turtletone

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 11:21:26 AM »

You could be right, it always amazes me what people think sounds right. I can get a record in that I think sounds dark, and they like it. The next day I get a record in that I think sounds bright, and they like it. But the vast majority ends up in the middle somewhere. I always felt that it was what they were used to hearing it or the system that they listen on. Maybe it's because they are born deformed.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

ericjenson

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 10:04

there are two factors to it, what you're born with and what you develop.

this is also why i've recently invested in a course which came highly recommended by mixing engineers that i know personally and respect.
i guess time will tell if the product delivers, but so far it's helping me to hear things that i didn't before.

i agree, some are born with the natural talent, and others take alot of training and listening.
i'll call it tuning.
i try to tune my hearing and keep it in perspective by listening to records that are popular(bell curve) but also sound really good to me in my mastering room.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

Ged Leitch

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 11:54:41 AM »

I just spent a boring saturday night doing some DIY ear training.

I set up a pink noise signal from 20HZ to 20Khz in wavelab...

and put on my Hd600's, then used an EQ set to a broad Q.

here i would pick a frequency, say, 250Hz, and boost by 3db.

then i'd bypass the EQ, and close my eyes, then i'd click and click till i didnt know if the EQ was IN or Out.

And then try to hear if it was on or off, clicking, then deciding if its on, then checking too see if im right.

eventually going down to 1db boosts at different frequencies.

I then moved on to doing this with some mixes as you should obviously.

it's a cool excercise and your ears really do learn pretty fast.

it's really useful also when your missus is working all day and your mates are on the night shift! Smile

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 12:07:48 PM »

I had an intern who had some sever hearing problems that he was not aware of and also had some really different views on classical music (he was a composition student) I had him do some work on a classical record transfer when he finished it the equalization he did was painful and he messed with the dynamics of the piece by moving the volume handles to suit what he thought the piece should sound like. He also did some recording and it really sounded awful but to him it sounded great.

When he finally went in for a hearing check he found that a lot of his mid frequency hearing and some high frequency hearing was completely gone which explains the problems with the equalization and the recording he did. It did not explain the dynamic changes but he finally told me that he did not like a the way classical composers scored their music and he wanted more FFF and less PPP so he changed the dynamics of the music to suit his feelings on on how it should be done.

He is now working for NPR as an engineer and I hope he has learned to listen while taking into account his "problems"
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

carlsaff

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »

Great post, Brad.

I've been amazed in the past when I've made changes in a session that I thought were perhaps too drastic, only to have the client look at me with a puzzled look, as if to say "what changed?" I definitely think that not everyone listens or hears things the same way.

And you're right about "correct" hearing being a gift, but listening skills being something that can improve with time and effort. It is important to understand the difference.

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 12:28:32 PM »

I personally do not like digital clipping distortion and have a real problem mastering music that contains a lot of it. This is a personal issue with me and I don't really know how to get around it. I also do not like over done bass where it sounds more like a thunder sheet and less than a bass drum or guitar and the client is asking for more bass. Again it is a personal hang up with me. I also have a real aversion to people who sing off key or drag the lyrics behind the song when they are singing so that it sounds like they are behind the beat instead of on it. It is hard for me to divorce myself from the complete sound of the song so sometimes mastering is painful for me when I have to deal with bad incoming tracks. Not sure how others do it but if the song is not ready to be mastered because it has so many  problems that cannot be solved by mastering I am never sure what to do or what to tell the client.

I have always been able to make things sound right to myself and I would say to 85% of the population. The other 15% and I probably would not agree on the sound and I probably could not please them no matter what I did to their music.

I have had clients tell me that their music does not sound good on their laptop speakers or that their 90 year old grandmother does not like my mastering but 85% of the people we help seem to like what I do. I think doing a lot of classical recording in my career help me sort out the real from the unreal. The most common comment on my recordings has always been, "it sounds so real just like in the recital hall" When I get into mastering I try and find out what the artist vision is and then do the most I can to bring that vision to life. Some times it does not work. Most times it does.

Good topic hope to see lots of replies.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Patrik T

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »

I think that any mix have some kind of centre where everything within the mix will reveal itself in the most "natural" way.

Even though there is a bell curve that will please the most people, each song - let's say on a whole album - must slide somewhat up or down that curve in order to make the inherent parts within the mix reveal themselves in the least "strange" way.

I find that aspect to be a considerable part of why some great ME's always cut great sounding masters. They "hear right" in order to find out where the mix will sound most natural/pleasing (in some cases the mix already does!) with regards to what's actually within the mix and how that structure "sounds" like from scratch.

Best Regards
Patrik

aivoryuk

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 01:56:15 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 16:04

I have a buddy I chat with regularly and we commonly refer to folks missing the boat by saying "he's not hearing it right". Sounds simple, and in some ways it is, but I think there are two factors to it, what you're born with and what you develop.

like in any field some people are just more talented than others while others have to work at it.

regarding the dull/bright thing, if anything the wump has taught me is that everybody has there own personal preferance and you can't please everybody

masterhse

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »

Brad, please define "right" for me.

Do you mean "right" for the genre, ability to translate well, well-balanced musically, etc.

There are quite a few metal albums that I've worked on where the clients felt that they should be on the brighter side and pushing the edge of distortion, while a stoner rock album will be darker, a hip-hop/rap album where the bottom end will dominate, etc.

I think that there are stylistic differences that make things right/wrong or in some cases "creative". It's not all about the sonics.

BTW very refreshing and provocative topic!
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

cerberus

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »

i think brad means like... dark side of the moon...whether you feel it's your type of music or not... or mozart.  or whoever doesn't like the beatles is on the edge of the bell curve, and bless them, we can master for their niche too.

as i think music generally tends toward too bright lately and trashy top ends have been in fashion;  i do  my best to please every client with whatever they want. but usually they hire me because they think my top end won't be trashy etc.. so i am ok that way lately. (could use more clients though, so also actively seeking the trashsiest eq ever installed in a mastering suite... i think i may have used it once, in fact. )

what did i do to adjust myself?  one thing is: i recently stopped using badmotorfinger for a reference and started using superunknown instead. most people actually own the cd; so using it can help assure the client and i are on the same page.  

jeff dinces

bblackwood

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 05:00:55 PM »

masterhse wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 13:37

Do you mean "right" for the genre, ability to translate well, well-balanced musically, etc.

By 'right', I mean when you are happy with the way it sounds, a majority of listeners will think it sounds good as well...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

NoWo

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 05:46:45 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 22:00

masterhse wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 13:37

By 'right', I mean when you are happy with the way it sounds, a majority of listeners will think it sounds good as well...

But how can this be? It has been said that a lot of listeners hear different, and I made the same experiences. So the common sense of what sounds right should turn out to be very small.

And do not forget the mood of the day which is true for MEs and the listeners. Today I was very lucky in hearing so I used the chance and did all tracks at once, cause I know from earlier experiences that pushing things to the next day often enough turns out to be a great fault because then I may hear very different and am not able to come into the same mood of hearing the day before.

Norbert

Viitalahde

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »

My hearing, I'm not sure of how it works.

I do instantly notice the sound that "wants to come out", and I think I have a pretty strong sense in harmonic balances. While I listen (or process), I see (or feel) the sound in blocks, lines, colours, pressure, light, all kinds of things. "Feeling" would be a better term since I can't say my sight is filled with objects.

Still, they're there and most of the time they represent the things in the sound that are not right. Erase them from the vision and you're golden.

I recently heard a slammed record that I thought to have ugly distortion and a block-shaped hole in the high end as it was breaking up. To me, it sounded exactly like a block does. Go figure. It might even have been a yellow block.

But this weird mess helps me do my work and makes me develop as I understand it more (and get technically better of course).

Oh, and I do have a preference for a tad darker sound, but I feel I'm getting around it.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

masterhse

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 06:05:21 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 17:00

Part of this I suppose is developing critical listening skills and maturation of those skills while another part of this is taste and experience.

For example, I read somewhere that a person's EQ skills tend to go to the extremes of the frequency spectrum and work their way towards the middle. In other words (and I see this in some of my students) in order to increase clarity the first thing that a student might reach for is a shelving EQ at the top end and increasing there. Later they figure out that a reduction in the bottom can have a similar effect, and later still work on increasing clarity in the mids. "Hearing it right" the way tha I read it, assumes that you are already familiar with the results of any adjustment even before you touch the knob.

I think that an experienced engineer can hear past the technical aspects of EQ etc. and interpret what the music is really asking for. The processing (as you often point out) is really secondary. This is where taste is the deciding factor.

Can taste be learned or is this something that we are born with?
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

Ben F

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »

Thomas W. Bethel wrote on Mon, 14 August 2006 01:58

I personally do not like digital clipping distortion and have a real problem mastering music that contains a lot of it. This is a personal issue with me and I don't really know how to get around it. I also do not like over done bass where it sounds more like a thunder sheet and less than a bass drum or guitar and the client is asking for more bass. Again it is a personal hang up with me. I also have a real aversion to people who sing off key or drag the lyrics behind the song when they are singing so that it sounds like they are behind the beat instead of on it. It is hard for me to divorce myself from the complete sound of the song so sometimes mastering is painful for me when I have to deal with bad incoming tracks.

I share your pain. Off key singing is one of the worst.

chrisj

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 10:44:45 PM »

I find that when I'm on top of my game I can do a nice job with incredibly brutal, aggressive music. I grew up crazy about King Crimson and stuff like that. "Aqualung" (a popular album that's extremely brutal). Some poppier music is very aggressive as well. When stuff is meant to be mellower, I get a lot less sure of myself.

Probably end up being a death/black metal ME...

cerberus

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 12:22:57 AM »

cheer up chris. if you could succeed to lambada with nyquist instead of always doing the bump...you have your reasons for working at what i think is an impossible sample rate...that is cool.

but i heard your guitar playing too..you get "up there". i am like, yeah this must be the airwindows guitar: it's soaring like a bird.  (in case some are not aware: "aqualung"  came from a flutist !)

jeff dinces

twelfthandvine

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 01:56:25 AM »

I believe Brad has it right:  Recent studies … which I can’t put my hands on right now … show that when hobby players and professional musicians are given the same piece to play, the brain activity in the professionals occurs in significantly different places.  It’s thought that this is part of the explanation of how some in the music business can ‘hear the whole thing in their heads’ and others play by ear.

Of course, those born with an ability to play music can get better and develop with practice and experience.  In the same way, those born with the gift of ‘hearing things right’ can also develop this over time … again with practice and experience.

Perhaps … in the same way that some become proficient at playing classical music by chart but never develop the ability to improvise … it’s possible to learn how to hear types of music in a way that most people can relate to (even though this may not be an intuitive skill).

Just my 2c

Kind regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post

dcollins

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 03:44:42 PM »

When I've used that expression with Brad all I mean is taking a tape that is too bright already and brightening it more in mastering.  Or not really "getting" a particular style of music and doing (IMO) inappropriate things.

And yes when they study brain activity, the musician "listens" with both sides of his brain as you are both digging the music and analyzing it at the same time.

DC

Dave Davis

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »

I can't really explain my own hearing, but I can say it's very tactile for me, and I tend to hear the whole, rather than parts and pieces, even when the whole does not yet exist.  Good and bad, really.  Sometimes things go different directions and I'm stumped, at the production stage.  Or in mixing, I might have difficulty chasing the performers vision because my own is so tangible to me.  In mastering this has served me much better.  Its usually right on, and gets me where I'm going faster.

I suspect I get this from my grandmother.  When I was a kid she had a piano (which I now own), and she tried hard to teach me to play from sheet music. This was never very successful, but it inspired me to do little BUT play her piano at her house.  Since I couldn't play what was on paper, I played what was in my head, and that's often atonal, and in strange keys and timings.  I love the phasiness of some Hendrix tracks as a sound, even now that I know it's basically mic problems.  So, I'd be playing my oddball crap, and my grandma would be going nuts.  When we talked about it, I learned she found atonal, non-Western tunings to be deeply disturbing.  It literally _hurt_ to hear some sounds she claimed.  Eventually I took this to be a reference to her own inner voice.  She heard things a particular way, and when the sound coming out of speakers or pianos was "wrong" it affected her emotionally, much as out of key vocals, off time beats, and bad mic'ing drives me crazy today.  Its not intolerance, but more like an allergy.  The learned components differ (her preference for conventional tunings and times, my preference for edgy exploration), but at the core, we share a deep, visceral connection with sound that goes beyond pleasure or affinity.

I eventually learned how to "read" music as a studio professional, after playing music for about 20 years!  In high school I played entirely by ear, listening to the player next to me.  In competition I made a joke of the sight reading exercise.  In bands I learned by having bandmates play the part or hum it.  So, it's been a struggle, on one side of the biz.  But on the engineering side it's a real blessing.

-d-

bblackwood

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 01:40:22 PM »

Peter Poyser sent me this:
Quote:

when they study brain activity, the musician "listens" with both sides of his brain as you are both digging the music and analyzing it at the same time.

DC

This is your brain on music

http://www.cangeo.ca/Magazine/jf06/alacarte.asp

Music on the brain:Researchers explore the biology of music

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/03.22/04-music.html
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

nmw

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:26 PM »

ive been thinking alot on this general area recently too brad, though perhaps from a somewhat differing angle.

it strikes me that there are more and more people out there who dont/cant seem to hear things properly, and im talking extreme basics here. and this is restricted to people within the industry in some shape who really should be better. ofcourse theres subjectivity to everything but im noticing a total lack of ability to differentiate the glaringly obvious or pick up on the very chronic. it this inability to pick up on sizeable differences between audio takes or track versions that i find the most worrying of all.

i always excuse the general public from my thoughts on casting a less than critical ear over audio, even if some can actaully hear very well but i see, read and hear things daily now both in my facility, at other studios and on/from the web that reinforce this more and more. im talking artists, producers, engineers and even some of the wump work in here im sad to say

what the reasons for this are i cant say. easy access to audio tools, total lack of needing to learn the trade or just simply an increasing tend in disposable approaches as witness globally and independent of markets. perhaps its just a case of good old lowest common denominator settling pulling everything down. this is certainly nothing new and has resulted in slipped standards in almost anything one can care to mention.

i will say that many "oldies" i meet dont have this problem for whatever thats worth.

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 05:23:36 PM »

nmw wrote on Tue, 15 August 2006 15:01

ive been thinking alot on this general area recently too brad, though perhaps from a somewhat differing angle.

it strikes me that there are more and more people out there who dont/cant seem to hear things properly, and im talking extreme basics here. and this is restricted to people within the industry in some shape who really should be better. ofcourse theres subjectivity to everything but im noticing a total lack of ability to differentiate the glaringly obvious or pick up on the very chronic. it this inability to pick up on sizeable differences between audio takes or track versions that i find the most worrying of all.

i always excuse the general public from my thoughts on casting a less than critical ear over audio, even if some can actually hear very well but i see, read and hear things daily now both in my facility, at other studios and on/from the web that reinforce this more and more. I'm talking artists, producers, engineers and even some of the wump work in here im sad to say

what the reasons for this are i cant say. easy access to audio tools, total lack of needing to learn the trade or just simply an increasing tend in disposable approaches as witness globally and independent of markets. perhaps its just a case of good old lowest common denominator settling pulling everything down. this is certainly nothing new and has resulted in slipped standards in almost anything one can care to mention.

i will say that many "oldies" i meet dont have this problem for whatever thats worth.

I also think that a lot of music is listened to in places that are not conducive to real listening. Places like car stereos in cars doing 60 mph down a freeway or on laptop computer speakers or on a pair of headphones while you are exercising. I also see a lot of college students listening to music from their IPOD with one ear and a cell phone in their other ear and they are carrying on a conversation with three or four friends at the same time. I guess the college students need to multitask or so it seems from watching them do their "thing" I also know that a lot of people don't have time to sit and listen to their stereos anymore and a lot of today's music is used for background noise. We go to a local restaurant for lunch that has an FM tuner hooked up to their sound system and so you hear the DJ and the music and the commercials and after a while it all starts sounding the same and it all becomes a noise source.

When I got into audio I had to pay my dues and I did a lot of very stupid things and made some really bad recordings early in my career but they never saw the light of day because I had ears and could hear that they were not correct. Today so many people do a recording in their basements or bedrooms and the next thing you know it is on the web or being duplicated and foisted onto the general population. Much of what I hear today sounds like recordings someone in my beginning recording class would do when I was teaching. It is not polished, it is not professional and has a lot of problems that if someone would just sit down and listen with an open mind they would hear how really lousy it was. They seem to think that because they "created it" it has to be GREAT. I guess it is a generational thing. Young people today are the most protected generation so far and they have always been told that they are the best even if it is not true. So maybe they are starting to believe all the hype.

It is so refreshing to hear some really well recorded music  (to bad a much of it was recorded in the 70s and 80s) and it is like an oasis in a desert surrounded by poorly played, poorly recorded, poorly mixed, poorly mastered music that today is what most people are producing.

Oh well I guess that's progress.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

masterhse

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 15 August 2006 13:40

Peter Poyser sent me this:
Quote:

when they study brain activity, the musician "listens" with both sides of his brain as you are both digging the music and analyzing it at the same time.

DC

This is your brain on music...

I wonder if they have done any studies with drummers.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.

Gold

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 06:12:16 PM »

For years I thought I had a bad sense of pitch because things that drove other people crazy didn't bother me. I eventually realized that my sense of pitch is pretty good but for some reason I don't mind things a little out of tune. Like Dave I like dissonance. I find a poke from a sharp stick rather enjoyable.

I do think that it's very important to 'get' the music you are working on and deal with it on it's own terms and within it's own aesthetic. Every once in a while I'll start in on something and try to make it into something it doesn't wan't to be. It never works and I have to start over.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Ged Leitch

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:18 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 16:04

IMO, a great engineer is able to push play (err, hit the spacebar) and and immediately hear the issues with a track - they have a seemingly inborn reference point that is 'right'. What I mean by 'right' here is how most people would hear it. Here's my theory: everything in humanity, when charted, seems to follow a bell curve - there are the fewest people at the extremes, and a majority of folks falling in the middle. I believe that is true for how we hear things as well, whether it be what frequency response is most natural, what level of compression feels best, etc - where we fall on that bell curve determines how well what we do sounds to the rest of the world. I think we all naturally fall somewhere on that curve, and that explains why some are 'natural' mastering engineers, they just seem to immediately cut pleasing master, while others struggle for years.

So you're basically born to hear things a certain way, say, you've got sensitive ears and hi freqs are particularly bothersome for you. Since only a small portion of the record buying public is going to share in the sensitivity, if you cut records that really sound good to you, most people will likely find them dark. What do you do? You have to develop you're listening and your chain to balance that. That may mean spending time listening to records until they sound right to you. It may mean buying or modifying monitors to be slightly darker in their presentation so that what sounds good to you sounds good to others.

Anyway, I can flesh this out more if it makes sense, but that's my theory. I think that if people take the time to learn their room, monitors, and maybe most importantly themselves, the rest is 'easy'...

Really like this thread Brad,

Kept me thinking all last week,

about listening as a "Music Fan" rather than "analyzing" the smallest things in the music, and treating it like some sort of  unessecary excercise in Creativity.

Your points above has helped me get things into perspective.

thanks!

cerberus

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 01:36:12 PM »

nmw wrote on Tue, 15 August 2006 15:01

there are more and more people out there who dont/cant seem to hear things properly, and im talking extreme basics here...i will say that many "oldies" i meet dont have this problem for whatever thats worth.
Gold wrote on Tue, 15 August 2006 18:12

For years I thought I had a bad sense of pitch because things that drove other people crazy didn't bother me. I eventually realized that my sense of pitch is pretty good but for some reason I don't mind things a little out of tune. Like Dave I like dissonance. I find a poke from a sharp stick rather enjoyable.

I do think that it's very important to 'get' the music you are working on and deal with it on it's own terms and within it's own aesthetic. Every once in a while I'll start in on something and try to make it into something it doesn't wan't to be. It never works and I have to start over.
the punk aesthetic ran head first into the music industry. now those kids grew up and there are two different aesthetics running together. one exaggerates distortion, and the other tries to eliminate it.  

<but listen closely to the rasberries' melodic smash(ed) hit from 1972 "(please) go all the way"... what's up with that?!>

that said, i blame the decay of music education in public schools for lowering the lowest common denominator on music. we haven't just lost our taste for stravinsky, also john cage and brian eno's innovations are found and recycled, but not taught.

Ged Leitch wrote on Mon, 04 September 2006 08:37

listening as a "Music Fan" rather than "analyzing" the smallest things in the music, and treating it like some sort of  unessecary excercise in Creativity.

for navigating this rocky road.. steve albini has an answer i like: let the musicians make their music, don't interfere... but a lot of artists in fact ask us specifically to help out in the "excitement" department.  those are the most fun jobs for me, but if it is a "near perfect mix", then making it sound "more compelling" with mastering wouldn't be possible.

jeff dinces

UnderTow

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 08:03:01 PM »

I've always had this personal theory that some things are sonicly right and some things are sonicly wrong. Usualy when I talk to people about this they say that it is a question of taste but I don't really agree.

I am convinced that sounds should have a base in or a link to physical reality. If you listen to live accoustic instruments, they might sound good or bad or whatever but they always sound real because that is exactly what they are: Real vibrating physical objects in space that cause sound waves in air.

When you are recording, doing a mix or are mastering, that link to reality should remain. This isn't a question of taste. It is a question of objective reality. Everyone (with undamaged hearing) can hear this objective reality and is intimately familar with it because they have been hearing it all their lives. If you lose that link, it won't sound convincing.

Now I have to explain what I mean by "link to reality": The sound doesn't have to be exactly true to the source. If you have good skills, hearing and a sense of sonic ojectivity, you can use your knowledge and memory of how things sound naturaly to manipulate the source sound to become something different while keeping that reality link.

You can make it sound bigger or smaller or closer or further. You can completely mangle the sound. You can do many things to it as long as you are doing it in reference to that objective reality. If you don't, the listener has no reference, no context and can't understand the message you are trying to convey. They can't relate.

This applies to all sounds! I make electronic music which in theory should have no bounds but in practise really does (if you want anyone to relate to what you are doing at least). A simple example of this is the electronic kick drum.

Imagine if you are repeatedly hitting the trunk of a tree with a bamboo stick. The stick is quite light so it makes a light "tok" sound and you can hit it quite fast. These aspects go hand in hand because they come from the same physical attribute: The stick is light.

If on the other hand, if you are hitting the tree with a big log, because of its weight and density, it will make a heavier "thud" sound and you can't hit that trunk as fast. Again the same physical properties of the object result in these two sonic characteristics.

Now if you are creating your own electronic kick drum hit, consciously or unconsciously, you have to keep these physical attributes in mind. It doesn't mean you can't go and make a big heavy kick that thumps at an insane speed but to pull it off convincingly, you need to instinctively know the rules to be able to break them. This means that it has to fit in the context of the sonic world you are creating.

If you are doing a mix, you can go from a small space to a big space or whatever but to engage the audience, you have to do it in such a way that it is "realistic".

Back to the original subject.

I think some people just have a better sonic memory of how things sound naturaly. This isn't just a question of hearing, it is a question of not projecting too much onto the material. Some people seem to get lost when they are in the sonic isolation of the studio. They lose track of how things sound naturaly. The longer they are in the studio, the further they drift from that universal base-line which we share: Physical reality. (This applies to many things besides just sound but thats another subject).

Again, I am not advocating that everything should just sound like real life. I am saying that if somehow the sounds convey a cohesive and consistant physical world, real or imagined, the audience can be convinced to believe in that world. A bit like a good Sience Fiction book. All SF books are fiction by definition but some are believable and others just seem silly.

The people that have this sonic memory and feeling of objectivity
will make music/mixes/masters that tend to sound convincing to most people. The audience will relate easier and faster to the ideas. They will be sucked into the virtual sonic world.

Then again I might just be rambling. I havn't slept in about 48 hours ....  Laughing

Alistair

Ged Leitch

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »

UnderTow wrote on Tue, 05 September 2006 01:03

I've always had this personal theory that some things are sonicly right and some things are sonicly wrong. Usualy when I talk to people about this they say that it is a question of taste but I don't really agree.

I am convinced that sounds should have a base in or a link to physical reality. If you listen to live accoustic instruments, they might sound good or bad or whatever but they always sound real because that is exactly what they are: Real vibrating physical objects in space that cause sound waves in air.

When you are recording, doing a mix or are mastering, that link to reality should remain. This isn't a question of taste. It is a question of objective reality. Everyone (with undamaged hearing) can hear this objective reality and is intimately familar with it because they have been hearing it all their lives. If you lose that link, it won't sound convincing.

Now I have to explain what I mean by "link to reality": The sound doesn't have to be exactly true to the source. If you have good skills, hearing and a sense of sonic ojectivity, you can use your knowledge and memory of how things sound naturaly to manipulate the source sound to become something different while keeping that reality link.

You can make it sound bigger or smaller or closer or further. You can completely mangle the sound. You can do many things to it as long as you are doing it in reference to that objective reality. If you don't, the listener has no reference, no context and can't understand the message you are trying to convey. They can't relate.

This applies to all sounds! I make electronic music which in theory should have no bounds but in practise really does (if you want anyone to relate to what you are doing at least). A simple example of this is the electronic kick drum.

Imagine if you are repeatedly hitting the trunk of a tree with a bamboo stick. The stick is quite light so it makes a light "tok" sound and you can hit it quite fast. These aspects go hand in hand because they come from the same physical attribute: The stick is light.

If on the other hand, if you are hitting the tree with a big log, because of its weight and density, it will make a heavier "thud" sound and you can't hit that trunk as fast. Again the same physical properties of the object result in these two sonic characteristics.

Now if you are creating your own electronic kick drum hit, consciously or unconsciously, you have to keep these physical attributes in mind. It doesn't mean you can't go and make a big heavy kick that thumps at an insane speed but to pull it off convincingly, you need to instinctively know the rules to be able to break them. This means that it has to fit in the context of the sonic world you are creating.

If you are doing a mix, you can go from a small space to a big space or whatever but to engage the audience, you have to do it in such a way that it is "realistic".

I think some people just have a better sonic memory of how things sound naturaly. This isn't just a question of hearing, it is a question of not projecting too much onto the material. Some people seem to get lost when they are in the sonic isolation of the studio. They lose track of how things sound naturaly. The longer they are in the studio, the further they drift from that universal base-line which we share: Physical reality. (This applies to many things besides just sound but thats another subject).

Again, I am not advocating that everything should just sound like real life. I am saying that if somehow the sounds convey a cohesive and consistant physical world, real or imagined, the audience can be convinced to believe in that world. A bit like a good Sience Fiction book. All SF books are fiction by definition but some are believable and others just seem silly.

will make music/mixes/masters that tend to sound convincing to most people. The audience will relate easier and faster to the ideas. They will be sucked into the virtual sonic world.

Then again I might just be rambling. I havn't slept in about 48 hours ....  Laughing

Alistair

Wow,

Alastair you should NOT sleep more often, that was a damn cool post mate!
Very interesting.

cerberus

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 10:41:56 PM »

i'd like to frame this one and hang it on the wall.
UnderTow wrote on Mon, 04 September 2006 20:03

Alistair

compasspnt

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 11:15:52 PM »

Shall I quote it again?

jackthebear

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 07:32:48 AM »

Quote:

I havn't slept in about 48 hours ....  Laughing

Well keep that up and there'll be only 4 or more sleeps to Christmas!
Very Happy
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

cerberus

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006, 11:48:36 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 04 September 2006 23:15

Shall I quote it again?
it's the same observation you made last week; but since my parents talked me out of becoming a car designer, i'm not really qualified to comment on that post, could take me years to understand it.

jeff dinces

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 12:38:41 PM »

I suppose that to "hear things right" there are several elements to consider.

1. Born with normal or hopefully better hearing, no real defects or negative deviations from the bell curve to skew your perception.

2. A good room and monitoring system to "present" your ears with the proper sounds.

3. Conditioning, what you've learned over time by listening to music, how different styles and types of music generally sound.

4. Aural memory and imagery, the ability to compare how a mix currently sounds, with an more "ideal" sound, found in your minds' ear.

5. Ability to analyze sonic problems, and how to treat them in a way that is musically friendly to the material.

6. and most simply put, are you in general, a good listener? : - )

Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

mbruce333

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 06 September 2006 09:38

6. and most simply put, are you in general, a good listener? : - )

What...sorry, I drifted off on that last part... Very Happy

MB
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

Bernardo

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 06:48:39 PM »

UnderTow wrote on Mon, 04 September 2006 20:03

it is a question of not projecting too much onto the material

That was a great post, but I think this bit was especially important.

mcsnare

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 07:27:15 PM »

This is a great thread. I think having the 'curve' in your head that you are unconscionsly comparing to, is especially important. When you do a variety of genres, as most ME's do, is when it gets tricky. I have to adjust that 'curve' in my head to deal with different mixes and desired results. If I get something wide bandwidth and pretty dynamic that doesn't need to be loud, I have an easier time hitting what I feel is the sweet spot. If I get something that's a compressed blob AND it needs to be loud, I have to put a totally different 'ideal' in my head. I think I'm just recently getting better at the second scenario. Then you have those extremes in the same day, or close to it. I have to just close my eyes and try to Feel The Force....
Dave

compasspnt

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2006, 01:05:10 AM »

Dave, that reminds me of this:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/101599/6490/?sr ch=bass+difference#msg_101599

mcsnare

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2006, 09:38:01 AM »

I remember reading that post, Terry. I had a very similar experience when I was setting up my room. I've also experienced just the opposite, where I eq'd old mix masters from my collection that had been mastered by a variety of great ME's. Most of the time when I eq'd without referencing to the previous master, I came up with a pretty simalar low end. On the times I didn't, I usually felt like the original master was better and I studied why I thought that choice had been made. Sometimes I'd come up with more bottom and I'd like it better, so I guess a lot of it is personal choice and/or whatever the ME was feeling on that day.
Dave

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2006, 01:01:27 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 18:27

I have to just close my eyes and try to Feel The Force....

Hey Dave... I refer to that as getting in "The Zone".

You get in the sweet spot, mentally block out any distractions, listen carefully for a while, form an image in your minds ear, and when you know you're hearing it right, you reach for a knob.

It's a good feeling, kind of a zen experience, a moment when nothing else matters.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering

compasspnt

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2006, 01:17:20 AM »

Is that the Richard Simmons Method?

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2006, 01:30:07 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 10 September 2006 00:17

Is that the Richard Simmons Method?

Terry, I gave up diets, aerobics, & tight gym shorts years ago : - )

The Zone continued...

Then after you've turned a few a few EQ knobs, adjusted the compressor, tweaked a few other parameters, there comes that "Aha" moment, when you know you got it right, like a pilot on final approach... then you hit record and print.
Terra Nova Mastering

mcsnare

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2006, 07:48:42 PM »

JT you may have given up aerobics and tight gym shorts, but I'll wager you have some football-player-on-steroids sized muscles in your mouse hand.....
Dave

Ben F

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2006, 09:05:53 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sun, 10 September 2006 14:31

mcsnare wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 18:27

I have to just close my eyes and try to Feel The Force....

Hey Dave... I refer to that as getting in "The Zone".

You get in the sweet spot, mentally block out any distractions, listen carefully for a while, form an image in your minds ear, and when you know you're hearing it right, you reach for a knob.

It's a good feeling, kind of a zen experience, a moment when nothing else matters.

JT

I find sometimes earlier in the session it may take up to an hour to find that 'zen' sweet spot, and after a few hours you can just about nail the correct sound quickly. Often I've gone back to the first track to check if it was ok, only to find it sounds better than I first thought. I think it comes down to not over analysing the sound and just getting the most emotional impact from each track...which is difficult in a high resolution monitoring enviroment, there is just so much information presented. I guess it's like sport, the less you think, and the more you do what comes naturally, the better you perform.

compasspnt

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 12:58:30 AM »

Ben F wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 21:05

I find sometimes earlier in the session it may take up to an hour to find that 'zen' sweet spot, and after a few hours you can just about nail the correct sound quickly.

Remind me to book my time with you in the afternoon.

Ben F

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2006, 01:20:56 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 12 September 2006 14:28

Ben F wrote on Mon, 11 September 2006 21:05

I find sometimes earlier in the session it may take up to an hour to find that 'zen' sweet spot, and after a few hours you can just about nail the correct sound quickly.

Remind me to book my time with you in the afternoon.

I'm cool with sarcasm.

Most mixing/mastering engineers I work with take more time on the first track of the album to get the sound right. None of my clients have ever complained, and I've done 4 albums in 3 days this week...

UnderTow

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2007, 09:34:57 PM »

I just found this great post by Bruce Swedien over at the slutz forum. It is a bit old as it dates from August '06. That is when this thread started and I think it fits in well with this topic: http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=82538

It sounds like a good way to train one's "objective" hearing skills.

Comments?

Alistair
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.