R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: understanding plate reverb pickup output  (Read 4674 times)

rjd2

understanding plate reverb pickup output
« on: August 11, 2006, 10:56:31 PM »

hi, i have a homemade plate i inherited that was in disarray. after a complete deconstruction, i was able to rebuild the driver, and got the plate working.  however, i have only been able to make a successful return out of a pzm mic pointed at the plate(i know this is caveman as hell, but what are you gonna do?) here's my question:

there is a pickup installed in the plate, but i when i have tried to wire it as a return, i can only get it to come back dry. it appears the pickup has one wire(signal, right?) coming from the part that is NOT physically connected to the actual plate(looks like a very tiny driver cone, but not wound or anything), and the other wire(ground, right?) is soldered to a sheathing piece that IS physically connected to the plate via screw. i have ran this back as a return on a normal signal/ground cable to a mic pre, or even direct into a channel, but it only seems to come back basically dry. tried switching polarity, same thing.

how do i fix this to actually work as a pickup?  thanks for the help.
rj krohn

Ronny

Re: understanding plate reverb pickup output
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 01:18:25 PM »

rjd2 wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 22:56

hi, i have a homemade plate i inherited that was in disarray. after a complete deconstruction, i was able to rebuild the driver, and got the plate working.  however, i have only been able to make a successful return out of a pzm mic pointed at the plate(i know this is caveman as hell, but what are you gonna do?) here's my question:

there is a pickup installed in the plate, but i when i have tried to wire it as a return, i can only get it to come back dry. it appears the pickup has one wire(signal, right?) coming from the part that is NOT physically connected to the actual plate(looks like a very tiny driver cone, but not wound or anything), and the other wire(ground, right?) is soldered to a sheathing piece that IS physically connected to the plate via screw. i have ran this back as a return on a normal signal/ground cable to a mic pre, or even direct into a channel, but it only seems to come back basically dry. tried switching polarity, same thing.

how do i fix this to actually work as a pickup?  thanks for the help.

POlarity reversal won't stop the plate from vibrating. Generally if their is no reverb noticed, the pickups aren't working or the transducer isn't working, or the torque on the plate tension bolts are too loose, which can happen over time. If you are getting some signal back, that tells me that the pickups and transducer are working but the torque isn't correct. It's been so long since I've worked with a plate verb, do a google for Elektromesstecknik or EMT 140, EMT 150 and see if you can find a schematic that gives you the specs on bolt torque and proper wiring, you could than apply it to your plate accounting for size and thickness differences of the plate.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------