R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP and WUMP together?  (Read 2371 times)

Tom C

IMP and WUMP together?
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:28:30 PM »

Hi there,
as most of you know over at Brad's forum they have something like
IMP with mastering, it's called WUMP.

They are always looking for mixes, so why not have them master
one of our mixes?

Of course a little poll or whatever to decide which mix they'll
get would be necessary.
Or better the artist who provided the material for the IMP does
decide which one he likes to see mastered.
Tom

.signature failure

starscream2010

Re: IMP and WUMP together?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »

I think that's a GREAT idea.
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

scott volthause

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 03:08:29 PM »

would we call it WIMP?

chrisj

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »

There was already a WIMP. It was the mastering forum mastering a track using only in-the-box, commercially-available software Smile

WUMP isn't like that. You get to throw anything you like at it, and at its best it's pretty lively and fast-paced. You get to hear a LOT of different mastering approaches some of which are quite kick-ass.

rankus

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 06:35:04 PM »

I like the idea... But it does turn the IMP into a competition with the "winner" being the one going to mastering.

I would personally enjoy that,.. but some of the less experienced may be intimidated?

I think J. has to make that call... He has guided this EXTREMELY well up to this date (Kudos Mr. Hall)  
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 04:52:38 PM »

IMP isn't about competition, it's about education.

i agree that picking a mix that goes to mastering turns the tables to a more competitive vibe.

and quite frankly, i would hope all invovled could handle such a thing, i really don't see how it support the eductional aspect i'm trying to promote.

there are many things i want IMP to achieve, and narrowing the playing field down to one mix isn't one of them.

the idea is valid, and i like the thought of getting a broader level of involvement here in REP, but i think Brad would support me on this one.

IMP is supposed to be my way of breaking down the barriers of internet advice.  it's supposed to bring audio we can hear and talk about to the front, and give every one a chance to check their ego at the door and say, "hey, that was a killer mix, how did you do that?"

if we partner up with WoMP, it turns into a "bring your ego to the party......."

Tom C

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 07:09:23 PM »

j.hall wrote on Sat, 12 August 2006 22:52

if we partner up with WoMP, it turns into a "bring your ego to the party......."

Yep, I didn't think about that (or competition in general) and
it's a valid point.
When I think more about it it could be even worse in a way that
people would only submit 'save' mixes in the hope to have THAT
mix which gets mastered.
I like the idea of more extreme mixes (even to the point that
they don't work anymore) better.
Tom

.signature failure

rankus

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 01:45:50 PM »

Tom C wrote on Sat, 12 August 2006 16:09

I like the idea of more extreme mixes (even to the point that
they don't work anymore) better.

Word!  IMO this is the best part of IMP.... no real world restrictions, we can really get crazy .... if you want to...
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Fabricoh35

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 11:36:45 PM »

Well we could still try an idea like the mix that goes to the folks over at Brad's place gets picked from a hat.  Then no competition and everyone still gets to make the mix as wild as they want.  In addition the folks at Brad's could end up with the craziest hardest to master mix which would increase the challenge for them.

Just a thought.

LSilva

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 01:29:08 PM »

Fabricoh35 wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 23:36

Well we could still try an idea like the mix that goes to the folks over at Brad's place gets picked from a hat.  Then no competition and everyone still gets to make the mix as wild as they want.  In addition the folks at Brad's could end up with the craziest hardest to master mix which would increase the challenge for them.

Just a thought.

Either that or you could do so that each mixer would get "buddied up" to a mastering engineer.

That way, everyone's mix get's mastered and everybody wins (except for the sorry bastard that ends up having to master my mix).

Lou
Lou Silva

j.hall

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 02:43:39 PM »

partnering with an ME is an ok idea but the ME's want to compare what they all did.  if every mix is different, then they can't compare notes very well.

picking from a hat still leaves all of us knowing a singular mix will be used for something else, which removes your solitary judgement, and adds in the chance that others might work with your track.  thus restricting your freedom to "get crazy"

Fabricoh35

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 14 August 2006 14:43

picking from a hat still leaves all of us knowing a singular mix will be used for something else, which removes your solitary judgement, and adds in the chance that others might work with your track.  thus restricting your freedom to "get crazy"

Not saying your wrong, but from my perspective the fact that it is random would make it so I could still be creative.  In fact knowing that someone might end up mastering the mix might even push me to try some even more messed up crazy stuff to see how it would get handled in a mastered environment.

However, I did really enjoy IMP5 and so if you feel it's better to not mess with the format at this juncture I totally respect that.  

j.hall

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »

we're not going to mess with it.  i haven't spoken to brad about it yet, but i'll venture a guess that he'll agree with me.

perhaps in the future on a different event.

cerberus

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 12:44:33 AM »

hi guys;

i think the motivation for this thread has been completely misinterpreted.

Tom C wrote:

Of course a little poll or whatever to decide which mix they'll
get would be necessary.
Or better the artist who provided the material for the IMP does
decide which one he likes to see mastered.

suppose we leave this part out?!   no wonder..... please let me explain what the rest means to me as a mastering engineer:

Tom C wrote:

Hi there,
as most of you know over at Brad's forum they have something like
IMP with mastering, it's called WUMP.

They are always looking for mixes, so why not have them master
one of our mixes?

this was the main idea, not the other part. it is an idea conceived to improve the learning. so far in all six wumps we have drawn mixes from our own group of mastering  engineers.  some of us think it would be better to have a mix engineer who is a full time professional mix engineer for our mock client.

so tom offered to post here to find out if any mix engineers wanted to join our learning experience on brad's forum as a mix engineer only. this way the role of our mock client would not be filled by someone who also is trying to learn how to master at the same time as they are acting as our client.

we are just looking for individuals to volunteer, to express interest.. the means to select a mix for wump has been by the consensus of the mastering engineers who particpate..this selection process has been non-competitive and it has worked, so i hope it doesn't change.

i think if mastering engineers and mix engineers were to interact more here at psw. it could improve the learning  experience for all members of all the forums. i hope you guys will look at tom's proposal again, but without the "competitive" parts, which are a misinterpretation of what we are about with wump. and i hope  j.  will reconsider supporting a revised version of tom's proposal in this light.

jeff dinces
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.