R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone interested in another WUMP?  (Read 15678 times)

mbruce333

Re: Anyone interested in another WUMP?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 09:53

I think i have some old mixes here but they arent great.

Probably more "Salvage job" than spit and polish.

Maybe our good Buddy Mike Bruce has some better mixes.

As a matter of fact, I think I have a couple of things that could be intersting....

The first is another electronic kind of thing, but in a totally different style.  You can check out a rough mix, unmastered version of the tune at:

”Theory in Motion” music

This is not the final mix, but the final mix is what we would have to work from if we decide to go with it.

The name of the tune is "The Perfect Day."  It's from their upcoming CD which I'll get to master in the next couple of weeks, so this would give me a head start! Smile

See what you guys think...I'm cool with whatever! Cool

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

cerberus

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »

alex.. i feel your mix dude. i wish all the mixes i recieved were this well finished, but  not mastered. i feel the chords..it hits me right...there...how about a touch more bass? or did you want to leave flea out of this? (oh i hope he doesn't say "three eleven", they all say "three eleven"...doh!)

mike...  yeah man, this is the one i could figure out what makes that kraftwerk record work and it is really loud too. i would suppose the raw mix of "the perfect day" has tremendous dynamics that we can really work with. interesting title too...adding a "the". sounds to me like any daft punk fan might want to buy this record.

jeff dinces

TotalSonic

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »

mbruce333 wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 21:40

Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 09:53

I think i have some old mixes here but they arent great.

Probably more "Salvage job" than spit and polish.

Maybe our good Buddy Mike Bruce has some better mixes.

As a matter of fact, I think I have a couple of things that could be intersting....

The first is another electronic kind of thing, but in a totally different style.  You can check out a rough mix, unmastered version of the tune at:

?Theory in Motion? music

This is not the final mix, but the final mix is what we would have to work from if we decide to go with it.

The name of the tune is "The Perfect Day."  It's from their upcoming CD which I'll get to master in the next couple of weeks, so this would give me a head start! Smile

See what you guys think...I'm cool with whatever! Cool

Mike Bruce

I like the track and think it would make for a good WUMP.   Hopefully when you guys start this one I'll have time to get in on it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mbruce333

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »

cerberus wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 13:44

alex.. i feel your mix dude. (oh i hope he doesn't say "three eleven", they all say "three eleven"...doh!)

mike...  yeah man, this is the one i could figure out what makes that kraftwerk record work and it is really loud too. i would suppose the raw mix of "the perfect day" has tremendous dynamics that we can really work with. interesting title too...adding a "the"...what a M1290s  you are!

jeff dinces

Cool man, glad you like the tune. I haven't got to hear the final mix yet, but it shuold be pretty good!  And although I'd to be a "sideways punster," I get no credit either way!  I'll keep working on my "SP" chops, though!  Laughing

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

ATOR

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 05:37:00 AM »

aivoryuk wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 20:59

of course  its in mp3 format. apologies to ATOR as he's already heard this but it was like over a year ago and i never got round to hearing what he did.
   http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&uf id=798CFB306BCB96BC

Hey Alex, I remember the track but I don't mind giving it another shot.

The Perfect Day sounds great, it will be a challenge to make it sound better. Definitely my fav.

Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

ericjenson

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 11:02:36 AM »

Quote:

i did this mix for i.m.p... totally unmastered...
 http://www.parsek.at/cerberus/IMP/imp_5/OTO_mix_cerberus_441 6.wav
it could rock harder, no?

I love it.

i started to picture rob zombie in his garage days.

great stuff Laughing

yeah, i'm in for another Wump.
throw anything at me. Smile

i'll start to dig around for some mixes myself, probably not for this wump, but maybe next.
I just have to get permission from the artists first.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

cerberus

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »

thanks eric, but that mix is incomplete.. the vocals and drums are ok with me,  the guitars mask each other and the bass is suffocated. another m.e. whom i trust also agrees, this mix is not done yet.  but fibes is the zombie behind the music, there are some great guitar licks in that morass that you don't hear. other engineers' mixes of this track are posted at j.hall's...garret and pingu are among the wumpers who also did mixes there.

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 02:21:03 PM »

cerberus wrote on Sat, 12 August 2006 18:55

thanks eric, but that mix is incomplete.. the vocals and drums are ok with me,  the guitars mask each other and the bass is suffocated. another m.e. whom i trust also agrees, this mix is not done yet.  but fibes is the zombie behind the music, there are some great guitar licks in that morass that you don't hear. other engineers' mixes of this track are posted at j.hall's...garret and pingu are among the wumpers who also did mixes there.

jeff dinces

Yeah Jeff great mix mate,well done man!

weird lyrics though Shocked !
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

cerberus

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »

ged's and eric's compliments were embarrassing me... had to finish it now. i added some eq to the "main riff" guitar and tweaked the eq on one of the basses and very slightly softened the overheads:

http://www.parsek.at/cerberus/IMP/imp_5/OTO_mixB_cerberus_44 16.wav

... thanks for listening. and especially to [the happily busy] chrisj for his work in trying to help me get over my "fear of bells" on this one; also my fear of mix engineers who post at marsh- as he led me to the audio ramblings of slipperman. just listening to sm talk for a few minutes seemed to inspire confidence in what i was really doing here...listening for the music.  the same thing i try to do in mastering.  i started this mix thinking is that enough is already there in the music itself to make it into a good sounding record.  so the idea that "i am going to eq this now" is not really the approach.

i know mastering is the polar opposite of mixing... in a way.  but some of the things i learn here tend to "fold back"  into all my audio engineering work. it's about control, which i see as my primary job as an audio engineer.  whether mixing, mastering,  whatever... i want to have any sound with the same gear. that is a true lifetime goal for me.

so for the process-tech heads-audiophiles reading this: i used the dual i.i.r linear phase eq technique that was outlined by jay frigoletto here a few weeks ago.  it worked:  less of that "overcooked, overprocessed, smooth & sterile" thing i used to fall into deeper with each added process.

if anyone wants to practice mastering on this track while waiting for wump7 to commence:  just change the "4416" in the link to "8832", the file could be dropped into a 24 bit daw and it won't clip, but i'd still recommend dithering it to 24 bits in that case.

jeff dinces

ericjenson

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 03:55:22 PM »

cerberus wrote on Sun, 13 August 2006 11:33

ged's and eric's compliments were embarrassing me... had to finish it now. i added some eq to the "main riff" guitar and tweaked the eq on one of the basses and very slightly softened the overheads:

http://www.parsek.at/cerberus/IMP/imp_5/OTO_mixB_cerberus_44 16.wav

thx, this will be fun to play with Smile
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

aivoryuk

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »

any latest on this???

lm66

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:50 PM »

I would be happy to play too if I'm allowed to.
Laurent Marc.
Vibraphone player, sound's lover.

Ged Leitch

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 09:16:26 PM »

Well i'd like to see more interest before we go ahead with this.

Anyone else ?

which mix are we agreeing on btw?

Ged.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Luke Fellingham

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 07:04:22 AM »

I always enjoy a good wump!

OTR-jkl

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 05:03:52 PM »

If ya'll do it, I just might have time to play this time.

Since I've been outta the loop lately, has Brad, DC, JT, Frigo or the likes participated in one of these yet? Would be nice to get a "benchmark" perspective so to speak...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.