R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone interested in another WUMP?  (Read 15699 times)

Ged Leitch

Re: Anyone interested in another WUMP?
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 07:37:07 PM »

cerberus wrote on Sat, 19 August 2006 00:26

Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 18 August 2006 18:28

Agreed Jeff,
but I just dont want the issue of playback translation being swept under the carpet.
After all, this really is important.
i think what i am saying considers that deeply! the client naturally looks after translation in real life... translation is their main concern in my experience. so that would be an excellent reason to try and strive towards a more realistic client situation for wump7.

alex, maybe you can prove the odds wrong, but you still bear the persona of a mastering engineer on this forum. i rarely do work for other m.e's except in wumps. so i feel we should all try and find some qualified outsider who  we will respect absolutely on what is acceptable and what is not for their mix. otherwise we will tend to challenge each other's opinions naturally, always.  and it is all subjective. do you know what i mean?

jeff dinces

Yeah there is a lot of subjectivity on these, only natural i guess,
thats a cool idea Jeff about getting an "Outsider" for this one!
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

MT Groove

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2006, 01:25:07 AM »

aivoryuk wrote on Fri, 18 August 2006 16:02

Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 18 August 2006 21:53

Cool Alex,

How's the M/S template going?

you know what i've not had a chance to use it as the version of samplitude that i got free with a magazine i haven't had chance to register it yet

I think the SE version does not have automatic plugin latency compensation.  

aivoryuk

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2006, 05:46:14 AM »

cerberus wrote on Sat, 19 August 2006 00:26

alex, perhaps you could prove the odds wrong, but you still bear the persona of a mastering engineer on this forum. i rarely do work for other m.e's except in wumps. so i feel we should all try and find some qualified outsider who  we will respect absolutely on what is acceptable and what is not for their mix. otherwise we will tend to challenge each other's opinions naturally, always.  and it is all subjective. do you know what i mean?

jeff dinces

so where do mastering engineers get their stuff mastered??? because i'm also a musician and normally it is ill advised to master your own stuff.

at the end of the day like any outsider/client i would still pick which one i like best. regardless of what level they come from the client is always right (or so we are led to believe)

The last wump was provided by a m.e who is also a musician and nobody had any problems with that.

but if you want to do some other mix than thats cool it gives me a chance to have a go  Smile

cerberus

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2006, 07:40:27 AM »

i think all six of the "clients" have performed admirably. yet the last wump still has not been completed. i believe it's due to the  issues with the architecture of wump.   we got a client who is so good at mastering himself, that he's gotten busy lately, backed up in his work.  but that doesn't help the group, except for a little pride in knowing a helpful m.e. who is getting jobs.

but if it's learning we're after, then wump clients cannot be like teachers who skip school due to having a better job elsewhere.  at least a school would have substitute teachers. we have had only excuses... good ones perhaps, and we have learned to be patient and forgiving that way. but excuses don't work as a rule. we've come to allowing deadlines to be blown off with no consequences, except to learning. (maybe we need producers, not mix engineers?)

so i think that perhaps an outsider who visits here because they are in need of mastering services on a regular basis would be our best client.  perhaps we wouldn't need to enforce their deadlines too much.

also we've observed about half the wump students making excuses for why they totally ignored the brief and went off on some tangent instead; it has happened each time. perhaps with any mix engineer/producer/independent musician whom we'd want to work with in real life, we'd all be on our best behaviour.  just a theory of course!

===

alex: i posted a link to a true source file;  one of the wumpers wanted to practice and sent me a few masters to critique. that was easy... i think a lot of us are going to help you since you've asked.  please post the mix or solicit p.m.s if you don't want the raw mix accessible to the public. you must have some names in mind, i think it coudn't hurt to ask...imo, anyone who has time for wump probably has time to do a one on one excesise that can also be a learning experience.      

jeff dinces

aivoryuk

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2006, 09:26:56 AM »

cool well if anybody wants to hear the 24bit file then they can pm for it and i'll send them a link for it

aivoryuk

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2006, 01:12:57 PM »

thanks to those guys that have e-mailed me so far jeff, eric and patrick t, im just uploading the file as we speak. i'm going to leave it a day or so before i send the link so don't think i am being rude if i don't reply to your pm's. primarliy just so i think about exactly what it is i want as such and for anyone else that wants to join in

cheers very much

Alex

aivoryuk

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2006, 06:43:12 AM »

morning
so far i've got
patrick T
cerberus
Eric Jenson
Luke F
Lm66
Lucid Waves

I'll take it Mr Leitch will want to be involved, he doesn't have choice anyway  Laughing

Not sure how you all want to do this if i send you the link give a deadline and then post your files on the massive server (if thats ok)with the numbers instead of names.

let me know and we can get it started.

should be nice and if anyone else wants to join then let me know

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »

Hello, i'm sorry, i also would like to participate:(

aivoryuk

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2006, 02:56:14 PM »

ok i have posted the link have fun

anyone else who wants it or has any questions then let me know

cerberus

WUMP luvs da FUNK
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2006, 04:38:38 AM »

dude !  check this out...  <<< i'll get to the phasiness...like the mix is not already sitting pretty in smear city?..i could do uh... something of course...>>>

do you want this  <<sound>>    i mean......fast forwarding to 2006 and all.

my idea was to try to make this sound more like what was a hit this year...i mean, like i think would be a hit this year... and you said to "have fun", but i didn't start mastering it either yet. i somehow brought on some unexpected mojo during a foray...when magic happens, electricity, that's what i call it. now you sound slightly more like jimmy page and slightly less like linkin park too. if that did happen, it was an accident!  i swear. all i see is little dots.

so alex?  i will try to do everything you asked for but...i was thinking...

ok nothing but multed z-noise and soundshifter so far,...<hrmmmmm...did i really say "multed"? ..maybe  more "molted"...i ramble...> compared to the mix that alex posted, i have been a bad boy...not that i took a razor blade to it, but that thought occurred to me also...so shall we bring on da funk?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&uf id=3B9F94EE19B3671A

<i am thinking if i can get the bass somewhere between flea and chris squire..and there is plenty of room for a bigger bass... we can have vibrating car seats and all...>

chrisj...you asked me a few months ago to hear an example with  pitch shifting in a mastering application, so this could be one if alex approves my pimping his ride.

jeff dinces

aivoryuk

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:20 PM »

jeff i am slightly confused by your post and the attempt you hvae posted.

it just sounds like you have added some type of ring modulator to the track, i know you said you haven't mastered it yet but i'm just wondering Confused

cerberus

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »

no it is multed to one z-noise and one z-noise plus a pitch shifter. then you hear ringing, yes... too much i suppose if you are reading the exact names of devices i am abusing but hearing a ring modulator.   so i will put this experiment aside for now.

jeff dinces

MT Groove

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2006, 05:46:38 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Sun, 20 August 2006 05:43

morning
so far i've got
patrick T
cerberus
Eric Jenson
Luke F
Lm66
Lucid Waves

I'll take it Mr Leitch will want to be involved, he doesn't have choice anyway  Laughing

Not sure how you all want to do this if i send you the link give a deadline and then post your files on the massive server (if thats ok)with the numbers instead of names.

let me know and we can get it started.

should be nice and if anyone else wants to join then let me know

I sent you an e-mail.  I wanna give it a shot.

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »

Hello, Where to upload masters?

aivoryuk

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2006, 03:39:54 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Mon, 21 August 2006 23:05

Hello, Where to upload masters?

Hi

Ged is going to sort this out later with all the instructions and with a official thread, so just keep checking back

thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.