R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 23 - Listening thread  (Read 17725 times)

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
WUMP 23 - Listening thread
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »

Hello Mastering engineers of Wump-23.

It’s time to submit and comment.
Please, don’t forget to mention your group splits..

Thanking you all.
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

pmx

• Real Full Name: Paul Matthijs Lombert
Re: WUMP 23 - Listening thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:45:07 AM »

tomorrow right? haven't got the time yet...
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »

Yes mate.
30th is the last day for all submissions. One day left.

Ciao'
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:59 AM »

Ouch! I haven't paid much attention to the forums lately..

I've been on a summer holiday, and will be back on work on Monday. I'll try to see if I can squeeze something together today, but no promises. If I screw this up, and won't be able to participate, I'm happy to do my part and review the entries though.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

Viitalahde

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »

OK, I'm uploading. Hey, it's 10:40 PM here, so I still have 1:20 till the deadline..
Jaakko Viitalähde

Herbeck

• Real Full Name: Ulf Herbeck
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

Having some technical problems, just located it, hopefully I'll get the master up later tonight.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Herbeck Group 2

Patrik_T

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »

Group 1

The song:  reminded me of the B52's a little - quirky Alt Rock
Main issue's:  Buzz in beginning - cymbals mixed a little hot -
Definition in low end between kick and bass

1.   DOMC - Sounded a bit scooped
2.   ggidluck - High endy ^ Thin
3.   MoreSpaceEcho - Left buzz in beginning - Sounded good but maybe a touch to much cymbals
4.   Viitalahde - Good over all
5.   fuse - Left buzz in beginning -  Good but maybe slight hi endy
6.   aivoryuk  - No space in the beginning - Good but maybe slight hi endy cymb
7.   Patrik_T -  maybe had a hair to much  lo mid/bass bump
8.   Nordenstam - over all to quiet - could come up 3 dB
9.   KAyo - Left buzz in beginning - sounded good but maybe a hair over compressed
10. Waltz Mastering - Should have dropped level a dB

Viitalahde

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »

Group 1, my comments are in:

aivoryuk: Overall I like it, especially the midrange. Occasionally the top end spits a little too much, but it's not a constant problem at all.

DOMC: Scooped in the low mids and the lows are quite overpowering. I understand the effort in making the bass notes come through a little better, but overall it resulted in lack of body.

Fuse - Dynamically and rhytmically, there's a good thing going on. However, the low mids seem a little lacking, which makes it a little distant sounding, and brittle at times. But I certainly don't hate it though.

ggidluck: Complete remix. Low end is gone and it has a clock radio type of a sond. It's difficult to comment further, because the sound is just off.

KAyo: Lacks some presence and top end. Fixes the cymbals (mixed on top for a purpose), makes it a little dull sounding.

MoreSpaceEcho: It kind of sounds nice, but in a wrong piece of music. Like there's a lot of small tweaks going on. Somehow it's difficult for me to grab onto the tune.

Nordenstam: I miss some of the midrange information, 1kHz-2Khz. Things feel like they're in good control, but some of the "riot in a junk yard" feeling is a little lost. But it's not bad at all. No comment on the level, could be just what the doctor ordered.

Patrik_T: I like the low end. 200Hz seems a little pushed, but it's more of a taste thing. The idea of the mix is well preserved, and it's not too hot, either.

Waltz Mastering: Pushes the cymbals back in a nice, natural way (which wasn't the band's request) but some of the presence was lost. It does have a good thing going on though, and perhaps a little cut around 600Hz-800Hz would have opened it up further. It's quite loud too, but so is mine.

Viitalahde: Mine's a tad too loud. I quickly put it together on an evening in my holidays, and apparently I dodn't even bother reading the requests properly. That alone should lead to expelling me from the school for two weeks.
Jaakko Viitalähde

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »

"riot in a junk yard" feeling.

ha! love it.

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »

OK, here goes...

I listened to all of these a couple times, and I'm glad I did, as my first impressions were not always accurate. I didn't think the noise at the beginning was a problem, but if Waltz and others chose to clean it up, that's cool.

I listened to everyone's because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Waltz- I like how you cleaned/tightened up the low end, but the mids feel really boxy and the high end is too muffled, I feel like there's a veil over the mix. A little too squashed for my taste, but it holds together well for being this loud

Herbeck- Not bad, the EQ is a little too boom and sizzle, especially the boom, it really gets to be too much from the middle of the tune on.

Aivoryuk- Best so far. EQ sounds natural, it's clear but still keeps the low end weight. Nice work!

BiigNiick- Cool. This is more what I was looking for, level-wise. I can hear more punch and separation on this compared to the first three, the drums sound nice and thumpy. Good work.

DOMC- Its leaning way left, the drums are at 10:00 instead of the center. Bass is super boomy.

Dutch- A bit louder than I'd like but it sounds good. EQ seems right on. My only issue is the comp/lim just makes it all a bit too unrelenting, and I can really hear the compressor clamping down on the big half time section, then letting go on the double time section that follows. Otherwise it's cool.

Fuse- Eq sounds a little telephoney, but overall this is not bad.

gertvanhoof- Very good. This breathes a little more than the previous couple entries. I feel like its missing some air/openness on top, and the bass seemed a bit loud in the guitar solo section. Nice work overall though.

Ggidluck- This doesn't sound right, its missing way too much low end/low mid, and I feel like there's some funny phase and/or M/S business happening as well. It's also clipping.

Kayo- Holy blankets. This sounds really muffled to me. This one's clipping as well. Cymbal decay at the end gets cut off.

LudwigM- I like your style. I remember your submission in the last wump being totally bonkers but still being kind of cool. This has the coolness without the bonkers. Nice work. Only thing is, as with Dutch's master, I can hear the comp pulling the half time section back and letting go in the next section.

MHYNES- oh dear. I don't know what you did, but....oh dear. It sounds like it's inside out or something. Cymbal decay at the end gets cut off.

mine- It's funny Jaakko hears "a lot of small tweaks" cause there definitely aren't any! I was really wary of overthinking this, so I did it as quickly as possible, just made some snap decisions and printed it. I could've gotten the low end clearer and more defined, and the top could be a bit smoother as well. Not too bad though.

Nordenstam- It could be louder than this, we'd never get this past the band, but I totally appreciate you erring on the conservative side! My only issue is i think the bass boost is too much, it seems a little overwhelming.

Patrick T-Solid. It's definitely too bass heavy to me, I feel like the low end is swamping everything else. If you took off the bass boost this would be just fine though.

Twerk- I'm missing a tiny bit of the low end weight, but overall I think this sounds great. Snare in particular sounds really nice. I think this one is my fave.

Zeropoint- This sounds CRAZY. What on earth did you do? Did you add reverb? Why do the mono drums sound stereo now? Try it again with just an eq and a limiter.

Viitalahde- This sounds good, especially for being this loud, but....it's just too loud. I like how you got the bass sounding huge without making the mix muddy, but I feel like it's a bit much overall.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to master this and comment!

zeropoint

• Real Full Name: Alvin Sommers
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »

Zeropoint- This sounds CRAZY. What on earth did you do? Did you add reverb? Why do the mono drums sound stereo now? Try it again with just an eq and a limiter.

actually, it was K-Stereo. it only brings out what ambience is already in the recording.

( i did try just eq and it wasn't working to get a "big", "awesome" sound that's crankable. i don't like transient enhancers, and this thing was crushed. did my best to give it some natural breathing room by whatever long-shot i had at it, but i will talk more about that later)

i will post my reviews soon..

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 12:42:49 AM »

I'll try to post some articulated thoughts on my groups masters but for now, let me just say that as a first-time WUMP'er, I had a blast hearing all the different ways people chose to master this song. While I do have a couple clear favorites, there were many subtle aspects about most of them that were enjoyable for different reasons!

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:41:14 AM »

been a bit slammed but getting to it soon  :'(
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »

actually, it was K-Stereo. it only brings out what ambience is already in the recording.

it sounds awful! turn it off!  :D

this thing was crushed.

the mix? it wasn't any kind of crushed at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 22 queries.