R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 23 - Listening thread  (Read 17727 times)

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
WUMP 23 - Listening thread
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »

Hello Mastering engineers of Wump-23.

It’s time to submit and comment.
Please, don’t forget to mention your group splits..

Thanking you all.
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

pmx

• Real Full Name: Paul Matthijs Lombert
Re: WUMP 23 - Listening thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:45:07 AM »

tomorrow right? haven't got the time yet...
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »

Yes mate.
30th is the last day for all submissions. One day left.

Ciao'
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:59 AM »

Ouch! I haven't paid much attention to the forums lately..

I've been on a summer holiday, and will be back on work on Monday. I'll try to see if I can squeeze something together today, but no promises. If I screw this up, and won't be able to participate, I'm happy to do my part and review the entries though.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

Viitalahde

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »

OK, I'm uploading. Hey, it's 10:40 PM here, so I still have 1:20 till the deadline..
Jaakko Viitalähde

Herbeck

• Real Full Name: Ulf Herbeck
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

Having some technical problems, just located it, hopefully I'll get the master up later tonight.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Herbeck Group 2

Patrik_T

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »

Group 1

The song:  reminded me of the B52's a little - quirky Alt Rock
Main issue's:  Buzz in beginning - cymbals mixed a little hot -
Definition in low end between kick and bass

1.   DOMC - Sounded a bit scooped
2.   ggidluck - High endy ^ Thin
3.   MoreSpaceEcho - Left buzz in beginning - Sounded good but maybe a touch to much cymbals
4.   Viitalahde - Good over all
5.   fuse - Left buzz in beginning -  Good but maybe slight hi endy
6.   aivoryuk  - No space in the beginning - Good but maybe slight hi endy cymb
7.   Patrik_T -  maybe had a hair to much  lo mid/bass bump
8.   Nordenstam - over all to quiet - could come up 3 dB
9.   KAyo - Left buzz in beginning - sounded good but maybe a hair over compressed
10. Waltz Mastering - Should have dropped level a dB

Viitalahde

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »

Group 1, my comments are in:

aivoryuk: Overall I like it, especially the midrange. Occasionally the top end spits a little too much, but it's not a constant problem at all.

DOMC: Scooped in the low mids and the lows are quite overpowering. I understand the effort in making the bass notes come through a little better, but overall it resulted in lack of body.

Fuse - Dynamically and rhytmically, there's a good thing going on. However, the low mids seem a little lacking, which makes it a little distant sounding, and brittle at times. But I certainly don't hate it though.

ggidluck: Complete remix. Low end is gone and it has a clock radio type of a sond. It's difficult to comment further, because the sound is just off.

KAyo: Lacks some presence and top end. Fixes the cymbals (mixed on top for a purpose), makes it a little dull sounding.

MoreSpaceEcho: It kind of sounds nice, but in a wrong piece of music. Like there's a lot of small tweaks going on. Somehow it's difficult for me to grab onto the tune.

Nordenstam: I miss some of the midrange information, 1kHz-2Khz. Things feel like they're in good control, but some of the "riot in a junk yard" feeling is a little lost. But it's not bad at all. No comment on the level, could be just what the doctor ordered.

Patrik_T: I like the low end. 200Hz seems a little pushed, but it's more of a taste thing. The idea of the mix is well preserved, and it's not too hot, either.

Waltz Mastering: Pushes the cymbals back in a nice, natural way (which wasn't the band's request) but some of the presence was lost. It does have a good thing going on though, and perhaps a little cut around 600Hz-800Hz would have opened it up further. It's quite loud too, but so is mine.

Viitalahde: Mine's a tad too loud. I quickly put it together on an evening in my holidays, and apparently I dodn't even bother reading the requests properly. That alone should lead to expelling me from the school for two weeks.
Jaakko Viitalähde

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »

"riot in a junk yard" feeling.

ha! love it.

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »

OK, here goes...

I listened to all of these a couple times, and I'm glad I did, as my first impressions were not always accurate. I didn't think the noise at the beginning was a problem, but if Waltz and others chose to clean it up, that's cool.

I listened to everyone's because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Waltz- I like how you cleaned/tightened up the low end, but the mids feel really boxy and the high end is too muffled, I feel like there's a veil over the mix. A little too squashed for my taste, but it holds together well for being this loud

Herbeck- Not bad, the EQ is a little too boom and sizzle, especially the boom, it really gets to be too much from the middle of the tune on.

Aivoryuk- Best so far. EQ sounds natural, it's clear but still keeps the low end weight. Nice work!

BiigNiick- Cool. This is more what I was looking for, level-wise. I can hear more punch and separation on this compared to the first three, the drums sound nice and thumpy. Good work.

DOMC- Its leaning way left, the drums are at 10:00 instead of the center. Bass is super boomy.

Dutch- A bit louder than I'd like but it sounds good. EQ seems right on. My only issue is the comp/lim just makes it all a bit too unrelenting, and I can really hear the compressor clamping down on the big half time section, then letting go on the double time section that follows. Otherwise it's cool.

Fuse- Eq sounds a little telephoney, but overall this is not bad.

gertvanhoof- Very good. This breathes a little more than the previous couple entries. I feel like its missing some air/openness on top, and the bass seemed a bit loud in the guitar solo section. Nice work overall though.

Ggidluck- This doesn't sound right, its missing way too much low end/low mid, and I feel like there's some funny phase and/or M/S business happening as well. It's also clipping.

Kayo- Holy blankets. This sounds really muffled to me. This one's clipping as well. Cymbal decay at the end gets cut off.

LudwigM- I like your style. I remember your submission in the last wump being totally bonkers but still being kind of cool. This has the coolness without the bonkers. Nice work. Only thing is, as with Dutch's master, I can hear the comp pulling the half time section back and letting go in the next section.

MHYNES- oh dear. I don't know what you did, but....oh dear. It sounds like it's inside out or something. Cymbal decay at the end gets cut off.

mine- It's funny Jaakko hears "a lot of small tweaks" cause there definitely aren't any! I was really wary of overthinking this, so I did it as quickly as possible, just made some snap decisions and printed it. I could've gotten the low end clearer and more defined, and the top could be a bit smoother as well. Not too bad though.

Nordenstam- It could be louder than this, we'd never get this past the band, but I totally appreciate you erring on the conservative side! My only issue is i think the bass boost is too much, it seems a little overwhelming.

Patrick T-Solid. It's definitely too bass heavy to me, I feel like the low end is swamping everything else. If you took off the bass boost this would be just fine though.

Twerk- I'm missing a tiny bit of the low end weight, but overall I think this sounds great. Snare in particular sounds really nice. I think this one is my fave.

Zeropoint- This sounds CRAZY. What on earth did you do? Did you add reverb? Why do the mono drums sound stereo now? Try it again with just an eq and a limiter.

Viitalahde- This sounds good, especially for being this loud, but....it's just too loud. I like how you got the bass sounding huge without making the mix muddy, but I feel like it's a bit much overall.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to master this and comment!

zeropoint

• Real Full Name: Alvin Sommers
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »

Zeropoint- This sounds CRAZY. What on earth did you do? Did you add reverb? Why do the mono drums sound stereo now? Try it again with just an eq and a limiter.

actually, it was K-Stereo. it only brings out what ambience is already in the recording.

( i did try just eq and it wasn't working to get a "big", "awesome" sound that's crankable. i don't like transient enhancers, and this thing was crushed. did my best to give it some natural breathing room by whatever long-shot i had at it, but i will talk more about that later)

i will post my reviews soon..

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 12:42:49 AM »

I'll try to post some articulated thoughts on my groups masters but for now, let me just say that as a first-time WUMP'er, I had a blast hearing all the different ways people chose to master this song. While I do have a couple clear favorites, there were many subtle aspects about most of them that were enjoyable for different reasons!

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:41:14 AM »

been a bit slammed but getting to it soon  :'(
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »

actually, it was K-Stereo. it only brings out what ambience is already in the recording.

it sounds awful! turn it off!  :D

this thing was crushed.

the mix? it wasn't any kind of crushed at all.

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »

Hello All,

As usual, the listening has come to a close. Thanks to the groups and the contributor for giving us a challenge. Especially the one at 2:10 onwards. It was a nice song to spar with.

A few bungles of my own has annoyed me and still does to this day. (More on that later)

Nonetheless, the jam-up was great and all participants rose to the challenge, I thought. A tough piece and from what I heard, the group I was part of did well! So congrats, excluding myself.. of course.

I perceived the following: GROUP 1

DOMC
Tonality perception feels multiband’ish. A little sharp. Nice RMS.

Waltz
The tonality bit honky. A hair muddy. Nonetheless, listenable otherwise. Nice overall.

ggidluck
Sizzles and glitters and somewhat lean. Still, healthy RMS.

Viitalahde
Starts of well and keeps going so.. Maybe a tad sheeny. Enjoyed it!

fuse
Another one liked. Tone slightly brown. Good listening..

aivoryuk
That’s three in a row. From the go, it felt good. Feels a hair squeezed at the very top. Trifling disturbance though.

patrik_t
Bit muddy, but, energetic and tonal slightly brown. Pleasing overall. Nice.

MoreSpaceEcho
Scores well. Slightly squeezed and shinny. Enjoyed it overall.

nordenstam
Bit subtle and tilted towards the highs, bit fatiguing too. But, has a nice smack and brave RMS. Applause!

I had some failed errors in judgment, and made some rash decisions at the eleventh hour.
Starting late was the first error and another element that contributed is the lack of a sub in the setup. Over compensation and suspicion lead to me changing the plug that fed the Masterpiece, and looking for beef that, I couldn’t even hear, as is apparent and coupled with jumping to a somewhat home THX system to hear the changes drove me baggy, and thus submission was a clumsy one.

I had some 3 different leaner versions already made, and was really happy with them too, until, the blasted decision to change the plug and wrongly go with the fourth one. Believe you me, I have been kicking myself, ever since.

Once again, a simple Wump has reminded me, that, It’s not only learning to master music, but, one is always learning to master thy self in the process too.
Amen to that.

Entries have now closed: And the works judged on what was submitted. Period.
Still, If any of you have the time, please, do grab my earlier temp_02. Even if it were only MoreSpaceEcho, I’d be pleased.

See you all on the Techniques page shortly.

Regards,
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »

Still, If any of you have the time, please, do grab my earlier temp_02. Even if it were only MoreEchoSpace, I’d be pleased.

oh man, you want me to listen to this song AGAIN?

*weeps*

hehe. downloading it now.

zeropoint

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »

the mix? it wasn't any kind of crushed at all.

well i suppose that's subjective. okay, crushed maybe not. the bass region with the kick and the bass fighting each other was like two cats trapped in a small bag together tearing each other to shreds. so it was distracting and just made it sound way too thick. after a good notch at the right freq in between the most resonant freqs it helped to clear it a little. but i just felt like there was not really enough headroom to work with. i mean how can you punch someone in the gut effectively from one inch away unless you're some kind of kung fu master, but that's irrelevant here except as an illustration.

in the breakdown, it literally breaks down into a black hole of such density that it was a real trick to try to get that kick to punch through to the surface for a very short gasp for air. all the while without completely cutting off it's balls. there was a break down of whatever definition the instruments previously had.

it was certainly a balancing act to restore some kind of headroom  without pushing anything too far.

yeah, i overdid the k-stereo. it was a desperate attempt.
eq, of course.
but to strap a limiter around this thing, no way! not me. that is the last thing it needs in my opinion. maybe remix or restoration (not my specialty) if you're asking for something big, crankable, and awesome. paging alan parsons..  ;)

love the song, by the way. it's like mike patton jamming with deep purple!  ;D

RIDE!  8)

a couple more to listen to and i'll post my reactions to the other masters.

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »

hhm, well, we disagree! but that's cool, no worries. glad you liked the tune, and the singer would be VERY pleased with the mike patton comparison.

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »

kayo, that version sounds MUCH better. I feel like it's just a bit too aggressive overall....the cymbals get a bit harsh at times, and it all feels very pushed to the front...which isn't inappropriate for this sort of tune, and lots of people would be really into it, i just prefer things a little more relaxed.

ggidluck

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »

DOMC: Something about the low end I find a bit muffling to the track.

Waltz: A boost of the lower mids has maybe changed the overall tone of the track.
Perhaps also the highs have been attentuated a bit to take some edge off the cymbals(?)

Viitalahde: Good overall. I agree that this one is one of the best. Good balance.
After listening to this one I kind of used it as a reference. Since the original track was lower in level for comparison purposes.

Fuse: quite good. Perhaps some boost of highs have affected the overall balance. Still like it.

Aivoryuk: As usual Alex's entry is excellent.

Patrik_t: I don't find the lows overwhelming. The highs remain just enough to cut through. Sounds good cranked.

Nordenstam: I find this one truer to the original. Perhaps a bit low as has been mentioned. Nothing wrong with that as the instructions asked to not push the level.
There's something that I find appealing about this one in that the bass is not overwhelming.

Kayo: Sounds good. With good balance maintained.

ggidluck: Yes, after listening to the other entries mine lacks bass.
I overcompensated for what I felt was some masking caused by the low end of the recording. It could also be my listening setup.
In the past my entries have been too bright. Since then I have upgraded my speakers to Lipinski L505's and I changed my room too. So things are moving in the right direction, but still more work to do.
Also I'm starting to dabble a bit with the analog loop.

Thanks to all for your comments.

EDIT: Scott, sorry but I think I missed your entry for MoreSpaceEcho (MSE).
That entry sounds great. Good treatment of the low end vs the rest.

Kayo, number 2 sounds better. The low end changes clear up the track a bit more.

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 01:47:19 AM »

Thanks Scott(MoreSpaceEcho) and Ggidluck..
Really appreciate your comments on the temp_02, some redemption better than none. I am now able to swallow food.  ;) :o :P Hahahaha
Many have even been gentle even with the first one. Thanks guys.

I also agree with you Scott, the temp_02, bit vicious and up front. That to me.. now, is a very important question to be asked, when mastering our Wump’s. How up front or far back does the contributor want it? As it allows the choice of compression and limiting to get more and more apparent, for the engineer.

Yup Ggidluck, I agree .. So much more clarity and less daffiness.

Just to touch on Zeropoint’s conversation .. It was a challenging song wasn’t it? I agree, the bass and drums and keeping the vox still pointing outward was a trick and a half, and many excelled at this, which is why I gave the group kudos, for their efforts in getting many rights apart from the inevitable wrongs. We all do try and please as many listeners as possible. I too was cautious with the limiter and its use.

I wonder, how many, tried and actually went with a de-esser? I tried and further tweaked after the de-esser, but decided not to use it.
Clarity via M/S, could have been the go, had I paced myself for it etc.. I am sure some may have, the techniques page is going to be an interesting read. Looking forward to it.

- - - - - - - - -                   - - - - - - - - - -
We’ll give the comments a couple more days, before we jump into the Techniques. We don’t want to keep it too long either, as the zest and mental photograph of the approach dissipates rather quickly, as we move on to other things.

Regards to all,
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Viitalahde

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 03:56:43 AM »

I'm going to give MSE's entry another listen tomorrow. I myself began to question myself why exactly did I feel the way I did about his entry. Perhaps I can put my finger on the problem, or perhaps a fresh listen gives me another perspective.
Jaakko Viitalähde

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 12:38:14 PM »

would love to hear your thoughts, good bad or otherwise!

Quote from: KAyo
Just to touch on Zeropoint’s conversation .. It was a challenging song wasn’t it?

honestly, i thought it was pretty straightforward, mastering-wise. it was REALLY challenging to mix.  i don't think i did the greatest job, by any stretch, but i remember getting to a point where i thought "i don't know how to make this sound any better", i played it for the band and they loved it, so i called it done.

after reading zeropoint's post yesterday, i went back and listened to it to try and hear it from his perspective, and, well, i really couldn't. i tried though!

i mean, yeah there's a lot of compression on everything except the synth and the toms, but there's nothing on the mix buss, and by modern rock standards i think that thing is pretty wide open. i can hear the bass drum just fine on the big half time section (what i assume he's referring to as the breakdown).

but anyway, even if i won't agree with you (hehe), i'd love it if you guys could talk about what you thought the problems were with the mix. a bunch of you guys have done 2 of my mixes now, so i'd love to hear your critiques. be as blunt as you like, you won't hurt my feelings, we're all friends here.

ggidluck

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »

I would like to hear a bit more articulation in the vocals. Making them cut through a busy mix is probably a bit of a challenge.

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »

yeah it was hard....he was mic'd in a kind of roomy fashion and he's singing so fast most of the time...

zeropoint

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »

which masters were
PeteG

bkuijt

UGP

pmx?

i don't see them in my downloads and i don't see them on the server. ???

Viitalahde

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »

OK, I had a 2nd listen on MSE's entry.

For me, the problem is that it feels a little more S than M, but not in a M/S altered way but a remixed way. The leading instruments seem a little further back and I'm not feeling the rhythm the same way as in the mix. The top end feels slightly disjointed in the spectrum, and graphically I visualize it as an "O", type of sound, everything in order on tops and lows, left and right, but the main stuff is just a little away.

These things I find the most difficult in mastering. How to subjectively improve the material at hand, but not change the balance of the mix?

The mix itself was in my opinion in good shape, and I had little to complain. To tell you the truth, I never react to the mixes in a "boy that snare drum is up front" type of a way, it's more like "something in the mids keeps the attention on itself and above the high mids there's a cliff beyond where something should be happening in the time domain". I'm a little synesthetic, and I get odd feelings about sound, not colors blasting through my eyesight but I keep on thinking about geometric shapes, distances and stuff like that.

And that's why describing sound is so bloody difficult.
Jaakko Viitalähde

UGP

• Real Full Name: David Dale
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »

which masters were
PeteG

bkuijt

UGP

pmx?

i don't see them in my downloads and i don't see them on the server. ???

Don't know about the others, but you know that saying "life happens"
Had a friend (widowed one month) who was in town and stayed with me, as there was a "remembrance" in town. After that had to go help my little sister and her two kids move from WI to MN, so I just didn't have the time...

zeropoint

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

Don't know about the others, but you know that saying "life happens"
Had a friend (widowed one month) who was in town and stayed with me, as there was a "remembrance" in town. After that had to go help my little sister and her two kids move from WI to MN, so I just didn't have the time...

ok, hope everything is well with you. thanks for letting me know.

to the others, unless they changed their name on the master they uploaded or something, i'm just gonna go with what i've got for now. which, including mine, is 7 entries out of 11 sign-ups for my group. oh well..

zeropoint

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »

great song, as i said in a previous post. alot of angsty, zany energy. dark yet playful sound. alot of nice elements there.

anyhoo, my thoughts on the pre-masters from my group, of which i think 4 went missing or maybe i have them but the names are different. so this is what i have so far:

(spl for each was brought to a k-14 (a-weighted))

twerk- nice subtle eq in all of the right places. cleared it up a little bit. did not over limit. i like it.

MHYNES- alot of distortion. some kind of reverb or stereo widening there. it's different, but i don't know if different in a good way. the distrtion is distracting. the guitar switched sides? hmm, i don't know. i think over processed. the break down is almost made into pure white noise. very abrupt cut off at the end too.

LudwigM- opened it up nicely. shaved off just enough meat without castrating it. decent fade at the end. did not over limit. well done.

gertvanhoof- basically just compressed and a relatively flat transfer. good job on holding back, but i think a little more could have been done for tone balance. decent fade. overall good job.

BiigNiick- brought out a little of the punch quite nicely. brightened smoothly and subtly. did not over limit. sounds more balanced than the others. i prefer it. nice fade. very good.

Herbeck- too much limiting for my taste, although considering how much the peaks were shaped, it is more transparent than what could be expected. i'm sure the eq was used to help the limiter in this regard , and it worked out nicely, except that it has been dulled  a little in the process. and the breakdown is where it is evident that this was really pushed. not too bad though, considering. there is some skill there, for sure. nice fade. all in all, as my own personal preferance, i would like the dynamics to be preserved better. even just a dB more of room could really make a nice difference here.

Zeropoint- brightened and expanded. i can sense the "room" better. well balanced. bass maybe cut just a tad too short, but as a compromise. it really allows the other instruments to get through and have some room to swing in. good fade and noise reduc at and. breakdown did not "break down' as bad. all in all, though, a little too "spacey". to do it again i would have added less k-stereo and pushed the kick fundamental maybe a dB more. max GR on limiting was 1.5. i just couldn't push it any more than that.

mp3 test: (96 kb):
(this is just based on the subjective distortion that resulted after compression. 5/5 is ALMOST no distortion. 1/5 would be where the distortion seems to be louder than the original signal.)

twerk- 5/5

MHYNES- 2/5

LudwigM-5/5

gertvanhoof-4/5

BiigNiick-4/5

Herbeck-2/5

Zeropoint-3/5

thank you once again for this opportunity to study with you.

gertvanhoof

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »

The last few weeks have been quite busy over here, hence the relative silence on my behalf. I'll try and have my findings up here by tomorrow night.

Best regards and thanks to all concerned,
Gert

UGP

• Real Full Name: David Dale
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »

ok, hope everything is well with you. thanks for letting me know.

to the others, unless they changed their name on the master they uploaded or something, i'm just gonna go with what i've got for now. which, including mine, is 7 entries out of 11 sign-ups for my group. oh well..

I'm fine, it's my friend who is a widower (cancer at only 34 years old, she didn't smoke, was a vegetarian, great outlook on life... cancer sucks) 
Anyway it's a good song and wish I could have joined in the fun, Can't wait till the next one!

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 01:14:38 AM »

Thanks for the heads up guys.
Will wait another day or two, to start the Techniques page, so that most can get their comments in for the crowd.

UGP: Hoping, all will be well. Amen.
Stay strong.

Regards,
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

gertvanhoof

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »

I’m quite aware of what they say about tastes and colours, but I’ll give it a try anyway. Telegraph-style and in alphabetical order…

aivoryuk:
Loud, yet punchy and engaging. I like the definition in the midrange (voc/gtr). Low end perhaps just a tad overwhelming at times.

BiigNiick:
Balanced, very natural sense of space. I absolutely love that snare sound.

DOMC:
Sounds a bit scooped in the midrange. Low end gets too boomy for my tastes. Stereo image is leaning towards the left. Holding back on the loudness ratio might bring some relief.

dutch:
Natural balance and dynamics. The midrange clarity is occasionally overshadowed by clouds of excessive low end.

fuse:
Compared to other entries and to the original mix, I’d like to hear a little more impact and dynamic contrast here. The snare, in particular, seems to suffer from loudness processing.

ggidluck:
A little sparse in the midrange, probably as a result of widening. The vocal sits nicely in its own space — too bad it has been detached from the rest of the mix. The overall texture has some graininess to it.

Herbeck:
You're getting close to the dragon, but the low end here is too dominant for my tastes. A shift of timbral focus towards the midrange and a gentler approach to loudness would help things fall into place.

KAyo:
A good deal of clarity seems to be lost in the process(ing). As a result, mentally decoding the information in the song might become something of a challenge.

LudwigM:
Good sense of punch and drive, natural dynamics, very musical approach to processing. I did enjoy playing air drums on this one.

Michael Hynes:
Get rid of the width processing. The focus is shifted to the extreme sides of the stereo image, the vocal disappearing in the background. General lack of presence and impact, which could easily be remedied by leaving the stereo field unaltered.

MoreSpaceEcho:
True to the source, quite subtle processing decisions. A little definition/contrast enhancement in the low end might be easier on the ear (at least on mine). I do like your less-is-more kind of approach.

Nordenstam:
Good spectral balance and dynamic contrast. Well-defined and open. Holds together well when cranked up, so I don’t see any obvious need for loudness compromises here.

Patrik_T:
I think you’ve pushed this one just a little too far. I can relate to what you’ve tried to achieve, but I think the limiting ultimately leads to a loss of definition in the mids/highs, allowing the low end to impose its booming weight on everything else.

Twerk:
Natural flow, great dynamics and impact. Three minutes of glorious guerrilla. Lovely!

Viitalahde:
Loudness and punch do get along together here, although I’d prefer a hint of breathing space around the contours. Maybe a little overcooked in the bass department, but still enough clarity to drive the song along nicely.

Waltz Mastering:
Loudness for better or for worse, with less-than-desirable side effects on the impact and the tone of the song. The snare suffers from a nasty ring which wasn’t present in the original mix (or at least not to that extent). On a positive note, I do like the texture of the vocals in your entry.

Zeropoint:
Sparse definition in the mid-spectrum, along with a hollow, phase-y quality in the stereo imaging. Obviously too much of whatever you threw at it, resulting in a loss of impact and a lack of focus.

So far for my two cents’ worth of opinion. Gentlemen, it’s been a privilege flying with you!

Best regards,
Gert

Michael Hynes

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »

Thanks Gert,

This is actually helpful Data!

M

Twerk

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »

It took me a while to find time to get back with my thoughts.

Here goes:

Group 2

Myself - I'm pretty happy with mine though in retrospect I would have given it a little more bottom end.

Zeropoint - I like this one but it feels a little unnaturally wide on speakers. Sounds good in cans like this though. The balance is good and it didn't hurt to turn the volume up. Was nice to see it wasn't squashed. Good fade in/out.

BiigNiick - My favorite of the group. Very nice balance, didn't squash it, and paid careful attention to keeping percussion transients alive and kicking. I would bet you didn't use compression or if you did, just the tiniest amount for color. Good fade in/out.

LudwigM - Another one I like. Good balance, kept it dynamic and the transients clear. Very light-handed with the mastering and opened it up in a subtle and pleasing way. Great levels. I think the intro noise could have been cleaned up and the fade-out tightened up just a bit.

gertvanhoof - Feels a little bit too compressed to me. Lost a little life in some of the drums but has a good balance. Could have been opened up a little more in the top but plays it safe by keeping it on the warmer side. Can crank it up pretty easily without pain. I think the intro noise could have been cleaned up a little better but definitely a good job overall.

MHYNES - This one feels pretty far off. Feels a bit squashed. Stereo field changed in an unnatural way. Lost clarity in all the upper bands of the percussion instruments. Snare is pretty much gone in the break-down. Too heavy-handed with processing in my opinion. Needs a better fade-in, and the fade-out just drops out.

Herbeck - Balance is decent though it feels a little lackluster in the upper bands. Feels a little heavy in the bottom and a bit too squashed. Transient clarity a bit lost, especially in the snares. Kick gets lost towards the end when the arrangement gets dense. Could be the limiter overreacting to the bass. Decent fade in/out.

Thanks to all for the willingness to be scrutinized!

Herbeck

• Real Full Name: Ulf Herbeck
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »

Twerk - Nice and clear, but lacks a little energy, especially in the low mids and low end.

LudwigM -  My favorite in this group

Zeropoint - You lose more than you gain with the heavy stereo widening.               

MHYNES - The mix sounds boxy and nasal.

Gertvanhoof - To much comp in the heavy bas part, otherwise good.

BiigNiick - My second favorite

Dutch (group 1 or 2 ?) - A bit to much low end and hi mid, and to much comp in the heavy bas part.

Herbeck - The comments so far has been more or less spot on.

Cheers,

Herbeck

Michael Hynes

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »

I knew when I sent this in I was somewhat in the weeds on this mix........
Thanks for the Data y'all I agree with the assessments as a whole. I typically work on acoustic stuff and singer songwriter cleanish things and learned a bunch listening to how others handled this type of mix.

Best,

Michael

Twerk

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »

Yeah, I have to admit I don't work on very much music like this so it was great to hear how others handle it. If I were to do it again, I'd give it a little more weight in the bottom.

zeropoint

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »

i learned alot from this too. especially hearing how the others handled it as well. i too am not used to handling a mix like this, very challenging.
this was a good learning experience.
so, once again, i thank everyone involved.  :)

Nordenstam

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 04:31:13 AM »

Hi guys!

Am late as usual, hope to get the listening round done in the weekend.

Looking forward to hear how people managed this challenge. :)

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »

It seems I may have been ff the mark a bit on this one - I couldnt get my head around that ringing snare...ow

Waltz - sounded a little bit boxier I liked the low power though.  I did feel I lost the vocals a tad at times
aivoryuk -  nice air I really liked your top end. still that snare grabbed me a bit.  I liked it over all. a tad bit more bottom end wouldve been nice for me
DOMC - this sucked bad I focussed on ditching that snare too much a bit too much bass and the left thing.....woopsy :D
fuse - felt like the snare ring was exaggerated (yes I am obsessed). a bit flat in the top end...but still not bad I liked this overall.
ggidluck - not sure what happened here it was all harsh and scratchy and not much bottom end - I didnt listen long to this one - sorry not a fan (nothing personal)
KAYO - snare, snare, snare, snare.  nice bum though :D. the dynamics felt a bit weird like it was jumping and pumping a little.  the vocals felt compressed and dried up a little (loosing the air in vox verb).  lost the top end a bit (masking)
nordenstam - a bit quiet - felt mid/low scooped lost a bit of definition in the bass
patrik T- a felt a little loss of the top end of the snare that nice shiny brush sound that was coming in and the cymbals it was a bit overpowered by mid/low.  but good allround
vitalahde - what ever - think your all cool with your speakers and wood strips and shiny stuff well PFFTTTTT - my favourite.  great attempt vox jumped and everything was balanced well

Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

fuse

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »

DOMC
Sounds a bit phasy and lack of dynamics.

Waltz Mastering
Good overall and quite loud. My favorite.

ggidluck
Thin sounding.

MoreSpaceEcho
Loud, aggressive and a tad distorted.

Viitalahde
Very good and a tad loud. My 2nd favorite.

fuse
Not bad overall. Lacking dynamic and top end.

aivoryuk
Very good overall.

Patrik_T
Good overall. Lack of top end and vocals lacking.

Nordenstam
Conservative but not bad overall.

KAyo
Loud and in your face but vocals lack.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.