R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studios/Engineers in Cincinnati  (Read 2940 times)

E-Train

Studios/Engineers in Cincinnati
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:06:37 AM »

Anyone know of any cool studios, ProTools rooms, or engineers in or around Cincinnati?

-- Eric Jarvis, Houston, TX

j.hall

Re: Studios/Engineers in Cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:15:53 PM »

i know some one os some place practically anywhere.

let me call a few folks and get you some details.

good to see you here jarvis.........

i feel horrible for the cinnci drifters.

E-Train

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 02:56:59 PM »

Indeed.  I will cut a vast swath through the Cincy driter population...

Thanks for looking into it.  Email me whatever you come up with.

-- EJ

Joe Black

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 10:55:04 PM »

You might hit up Dave Davis at QCA. Dave is QCA's (go-qca.com) mastering engineer and will have worked with everyone from John Curley at Ultrasuede studios (ultrastudio.com) to Edwin Musper and his new place across the river in Kentucky. There's lots of studios around here from old school places like Group Effort and Jewel to the newer Mercey Beat and basement joints run by guys with great ears an a 002. Really depends on what your looking for.

chris haines

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 03:54:26 AM »

I'd have to add and highly recommend Ashley Shepherd to the list; www.picturemusic.com

and Steve Girton for whom I don't have contact info...

Rinkydink Audio, studio
The Vulcan Freedom Fighters, band

ex-weasel
ex-publisher
ex-pat

Joe Black

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:12:31 AM »

Hey Chris - yeah, I was trying to remember Ashleys name. Hope Spain is treating you well.

Dave Davis or John Curley can give you info on how to contact Steve Girton, or I can dig it out for you. ICB Audio is the leading highend audio retailer in town, they would be able to supply you with contacts also. One of the guys from Tibrius Records has a studio also (Mike Montgomery, I think) - http://www.tiberiusrecords.com.

E-Train

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 09:56:52 AM »

Thanks, everybody.  I'll just be in for this weekend, so this is probably plenty for me to investigate on this short trip.

Appreciate the info.

-- EJ

Joe Black

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »

That's cool. Saturday there's a great show at the Southgate House (southgatehouse.com). Some great bands playing -  Pearlene, The Hiders, Staggering Statistics plus 2 or 3 others. All in support of the new Thirteens CD, tracked by Steve Girton, who most likey will be running live sound. John Curley's in the Staggering Statistics. The Thriteens frontman was killed by a drunk driver recently, so this is kind of like a local music community love fest.

I highly recommend checking out Ultrasuede. It's a great room, it's right next door to QCA (a replicator), you might get a look at Dave's mastering room and it's right down the street from the best in Cincinnati Chili - Camp Washington Chili.

good lucK!

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »

my sources are lining up with all these.

TheViking

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 11:16:39 PM »

We cut some tracks for a record I worked on a few years ago at this place..

http://www.babblefishstudios.com/

Not sure if you knew about it or not.   I believe it's near Cincy.   Good luck!
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

Dave Davis

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »

Hey E-Train...

Might be too late, but a minor correction:
While I still do sessions at Ultrasuede, I'm no longer at QCA.  I work at Sound Images, which is a 3 room commercial PT facility (1 big studio, 2 smaller rooms, and a separate composition suite where Rob Fetters, of Bears and Psychodots fame, works.  I made the move to focus on new media, but still master, and my room here is better than my old one by any measure (getting better still).

Another PT facility nearby is Sonic Arts, right around the corner.  I believe Ric Hordinski's place, Mersey Beat, is in Over The Rhine, just north of downtown.  To the south, Ashley Shepard's in Newport, Erwin Muspar's in Ft. Thomas I believe (I saw him at QCA a lot but haven't been to his place.  The Grande Dame of Cincy music rooms has to be Group Effort, which is in Cold Springs KY.  2 room studio, using DP last time I was there, alongside analog.  Been around since i was in high school in the 1970s, and everyone from Blondie (back before they took over the space) to Afghan Whigs have recorded in the room they're working in today.

Ultrasuede's got the most history of the current crop: We took over QCA's old rooms, back in the early 1990s because they sounded gorgeous, and since then we've hosted many bands from the road, including Coldplay, Sum 41 and Cowboy Junkies, and cut the most notable local releases of the 1990s as well.  Babyface was given his nickname in QCA Studio A by Bootsy Collins.  "No Parking on the Dancefloor" and a ton of urban dance classics were cut by Midnight Star and many others when Reggie Calloway took over the spaces.  Cool space.  I cashed out in 2000, but still love working there.

-d-

E-Train

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »

Great input from everyone.  Really appreciate it.  I'm trying to make some calls today and tomorrow to maybe drop in on a couple of places.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.