R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 96k or 44.1 ?  (Read 11835 times)

bblackwood

Re: 96k or 44.1 ?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »

Well, you never know on the InternetS.   I once talked philosophy with "Ben Kenobi".
I hear he was a pretty wise dude.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

DanDan

• Real Full Name: Dan FitzGerald
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »

Swings and roundabouts abound.
I would recommend asking the ME. Some of us work ITB, dislike having to SRC and dislike  multiple analogue conversions.
Others have incredibly good converters, and SRC, and Analogue processors.
I have heard that some high end plugs work better at high rates, but then many of them upsample these days. So...?
Common sense and some respected authorities say it is best not to run a converter at it's highest rate.
So half that seems like a safe bet.
I have read the SRC is not faster or better when the SR is double or other integer multiple.

DD
Dan FitzGerald  MIOA MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »

For clarification, the reason I said that you are forced to stay with a multiple of the original sampling rate is because I am using ONE master clock (the Antelope Isocrone Atomic Clock), which, although it has 8 outputs, it uses a multiplier to route a different (higher) rate to 2 of those. This is similar to other Master Clocks. Also, it has been my experience that IF the higher sampling rate does NOT sound better (than 16_44.1), it is usually because of an inferior DAC chip in the converter. Since it has been determined that humans are "sampling" at approximately 15 million bits per second, there is SOMETHING to be said for working (and/or mixing) at the higher sampling rates to get the final product,whether CD or MPFree to sound better. Not that the consumer gives a hoot or can barely tell the difference, but more importantly, is ONLY hearing the "song" (as it should be and as is the GOAL of all our efforts anyway!). At the end of the day, the "Pilot In Command" is responsible and we have all heard "inferior audio" on "HITS" as well as "incredible audiofile recordings" of garbage! In the right hands, even an MPFree has it's moments (although only mostly over the telephone for me).
Blue Skies!  Saint

Table Of Tone

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »

For clarification, the reason I said that you are forced to stay with a multiple of the original sampling rate is because I am using ONE master clock (the Antelope Isocrone Atomic Clock), which, although it has 8 outputs, it uses a multiplier to route a different (higher) rate to 2 of those. This is similar to other Master Clocks.
I take it you're not using the Trinity with the 10M then?

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »

I got the OCX-V, not the Trinity.
Blue Skies!  Saint

Laarsų

• Real Full Name: Laars Oglethorpe, V
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

Guess you need an additional Antelope.   8)

For us, non-Multichannel premastering clerks, the master clock of the given converter is best.  Two channels at a time is all's we needs.  And this allows each converter to "wheel" freely against the rates of the others. 

Thanks for the explanation, though.  Now we are on same page.

Laarsų
Laars Oglethorpe, V
Space Camp CD Premastering
Pivot dub lab vinyl products and consulting

Table Of Tone

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »

That's why the Trinity is great!
You can lock down up to three systems, all at their own individual SR's and reference the whole shabang to 10 Mhz.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.