R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 96k or 44.1 ?  (Read 11834 times)

rosshogarth

96k or 44.1 ?
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »

If you had a choice to master a hard rock record recorded at 44.1 24 bit
but
my mix rig is through a burl convertor and I can record at any sample rate
would you take the higher resolution ?

thoughts ?
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

Greg Reierson

Re: 96k or 44.1 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »

Higher sampling rates are great but not all that high up on the list of the most important things. Almost every aspect of the recording process: instruments, mic placement, mic choice, pre-amp, mixing platform, monitoring environment, effects, etc. are WAY more important. When everything else is absolutely perfect, then worry about your sampling rate, IMO.

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:03:26 AM »

I'd give them a listen to see if the Burl works 'better' on this material at one sampling frequency or the other, but wouldn't sweat it otherwise.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Laarsų

• Real Full Name: Laars Oglethorpe, V
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »

If you had a choice to master a hard rock record recorded at 44.1 24 bit
but my mix rig is through a burl convertor and I can record at any sample rate
would you take the higher resolution ?

thoughts ?

Are you talking about premastering existing 44.1 kHz Fs mixes, or are you talking about capturing mix masters from a 44.1 kHz tracking session using an analog gear processing loop in your mix rig?   

If the latter, I'd suggest you use the highest rate that sounds great.  If the former, I'd suggest you capture at hi-rate only if you are going to limit _before_ SRC to whatever the target rate is.   If you're going to brick-limit at 44.1k, then just capture the premaster at that rate.

(CD "mastering" is done in Class 100 clean rooms.  Don't front. (;  )

Laarsų
Laars Oglethorpe, V
Space Camp CD Premastering
Pivot dub lab vinyl products and consulting

rosshogarth

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »

let say it again
the record is ALREADY recorded at 44.1
I have a separate rig for mixdown
This is not the playback rig
I am mixing through an analog console so I am going into a burl convertor for my a/d to the mix rig
I can record the mixes at any sample rate I choose
and
I was wondering what as mastering engineers, you would optimally choose
a 44.1 file or a higher resolution file ?
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

Table Of Tone

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »

let say it again
the record is ALREADY recorded at 44.1
I have a separate rig for mixdown
This is not the playback rig
I am mixing through an analog console so I am going into a burl convertor for my a/d to the mix rig
and
There are some converters that perform great at 44.1/48 but not so great at 88.2/96!
Some program material can also suit a higher SR, while other material doesn't.

I've not tried the Burl but here's what I'd do in your situation.

Choose one of the mixes and put it down through the Burl at 4824 and another one down at 9624.
Go with the sample rate that winds up sounding the closest to monitiring from the actual analog mixing desk.

Laarsų

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »

l...
and

Aha.  Now I understand more clearly your question...
When we premaster files, we prefer to work from the highest sample rate source material.  If it sounds worse at 88.2k than it does at 44.1k, something's wrong...  Most recording converters sound better up high, and the premastering studio will have a way to alter the high res files to the target rate in a way that is least deleterious...   However, we also prefer that you have (all) been able to proof the mixes before premastering, since there will be, at minimum, a change of sample rate if going to CD.   This means proofing them at their native sample rate and level - with no as-if-already-premastered pluginz applied.  (;   Of course, ymmv, and if you end up liking the as-ifs better than the prų-mastered...  ???

Cheersų,
     Laarsų
Laars Oglethorpe, V

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:39:28 PM »

I have heard the Burl & like what it does to a mix. With that said, what I heard probably is not related to the sample rate choice. So without hearing both passes at 44.1 & 96k to judge, the benefit would be more on your end & I would have no preference as to resolution.

Ed

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »

My gut feeling on this is to go with 96k.

Since you're mixing thru the console and recapturing.

Best, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »

I'm not always happy with the sound of high sample rates. There seems to be a trade off to this ear. Though I do use the upsample feature in my tc 6000 limiter.

Care to post a mix of each and let us hear the difference?
I'd be willing to run them through my chain to make an informed comment.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »

If you are only mixing, you will be forced to stay with a multiple of the original session, i.e., a 24/44.1 multitrack may be mixed to an outboard 2 channel master digital recorder to a multiple of 44.1, which is 88.2, 176.4 or sacd (2.8224MHz or 5.6448MHz, 1 bit). If the original session is at 48K then the available higher resolution multiples will be 96K or 192K. Personally, I have found that with a good professional converter (& clock) the higher the rate the better the resolution (sound)  to what is coming off the console. when I am not mixing to tape (only on those sessions that MUST go to digits for financial restraints) I prefer 24/176.4 because it is a simple multiple of the cd rate of 44.1 (Less interpolation going back down to the cd rate). The color that your HEAR in your mix room has more to do with the Master Clock & D to A playback converter than the rate. Some converters hype the bass (or other frequencies) making you THINK you have more bass (or other hyped frequencies) than there actually are in your mix (NOT unlike different brands of tape, bias settings & your actual levels). Most PROFESSIONAL Mastering rooms use the best clocks (i.e. Antelope Isochrone Atomic Clock) with the best converters, too (i.e., Pacific Microsonics @ 20K for 2 channels) so the playback there will differ considerably from most control rooms! Think about it... would you rather have 44.1 THOUSAND dollars in your bank or 176.4 thousand??? The SACD ups THAT ante to 5.6 MILLION! The main issue is that much above 24/176.4, once you squeeze it back down to the embarrassing sample rate of 44.1, it is really difficult to hear ANY difference in the rates above 24/176.4. MPFrees are not worth mentioning as they are not "professional" rates and are ONLY useful for telephonic reproduction.
Blue Skies!  Saint

Laarsų

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »

If you are only mixing, you will be forced to stay with a multiple of the original session...

I believe that Ross is going to be doing signal jacking.   He will send the analog outs of the multitrack DAC through the analog console and will capture the stereo master fader as 2 track digital and at whatever sample rate he pleases, be it 44.1-, 48-, or 2.8- based, yes?    This means that the master recorder for mix-down is free-wheeling - is not forced to be a multiple of the multitrack digital audio rate.  Furthermore, one could implement asynchronous real-time sample rate conversion of a digital mix with nice results if using, say, the SFC-2.

Cheersų,
     Laarsų
Laars Oglethorpe, V

Treelady

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »

Think about it... would you rather have 44.1 THOUSAND dollars in your bank or 176.4 thousand???

That is not how PCM works.  More is not always better -  it's just more.   

Nyquist applied to us explains that PCM data contains all the audio information up to half of the sample rate frequency.  Thus, you're talking about a top end response of  176.4 / 2 =  88.2 kHz!  What audio content is even in the source material above 26 kHz.  And can humans hear it?  (The latest peer reviewed studies conclude negative).

Now, if you want to work at 176.4 because you think your plug-ins sound better or the filters on your converters sound better because of the shift, that is all fine with me.  And there are others in that camp.   

But implying that anything past 88.2k / 96k is better because its "more" - is not correct.   In fact, there are theories that the added burdon placed on DSP chips may lead to errors and distortions in the audio.  (But those are theories, and I don't know enough to speak about that being true or not).

And please what is your name?  So I can know whom I owe beers to at AES!!!!

bblackwood

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »

And please what is your name?  So I can know whom I owe beers to at AES!!!!
That would be Ron Saint Germain, legendary producer / engineer and moderator of Whatever Works.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Treelady

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »

That would be Ron Saint Germain, legendary producer / engineer and moderator of Whatever Works.

Well, you never know on the InternetS.   I once talked philosophy with "Ben Kenobi".

bblackwood

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »

Well, you never know on the InternetS.   I once talked philosophy with "Ben Kenobi".
I hear he was a pretty wise dude.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

DanDan

• Real Full Name: Dan FitzGerald
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »

Swings and roundabouts abound.
I would recommend asking the ME. Some of us work ITB, dislike having to SRC and dislike  multiple analogue conversions.
Others have incredibly good converters, and SRC, and Analogue processors.
I have heard that some high end plugs work better at high rates, but then many of them upsample these days. So...?
Common sense and some respected authorities say it is best not to run a converter at it's highest rate.
So half that seems like a safe bet.
I have read the SRC is not faster or better when the SR is double or other integer multiple.

DD
Dan FitzGerald  MIOA MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

saint

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »

For clarification, the reason I said that you are forced to stay with a multiple of the original sampling rate is because I am using ONE master clock (the Antelope Isocrone Atomic Clock), which, although it has 8 outputs, it uses a multiplier to route a different (higher) rate to 2 of those. This is similar to other Master Clocks. Also, it has been my experience that IF the higher sampling rate does NOT sound better (than 16_44.1), it is usually because of an inferior DAC chip in the converter. Since it has been determined that humans are "sampling" at approximately 15 million bits per second, there is SOMETHING to be said for working (and/or mixing) at the higher sampling rates to get the final product,whether CD or MPFree to sound better. Not that the consumer gives a hoot or can barely tell the difference, but more importantly, is ONLY hearing the "song" (as it should be and as is the GOAL of all our efforts anyway!). At the end of the day, the "Pilot In Command" is responsible and we have all heard "inferior audio" on "HITS" as well as "incredible audiofile recordings" of garbage! In the right hands, even an MPFree has it's moments (although only mostly over the telephone for me).
Blue Skies!  Saint

Table Of Tone

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »

For clarification, the reason I said that you are forced to stay with a multiple of the original sampling rate is because I am using ONE master clock (the Antelope Isocrone Atomic Clock), which, although it has 8 outputs, it uses a multiplier to route a different (higher) rate to 2 of those. This is similar to other Master Clocks.
I take it you're not using the Trinity with the 10M then?

saint

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 12:15:09 PM »

I got the OCX-V, not the Trinity.
Blue Skies!  Saint

Laarsų

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

Guess you need an additional Antelope.   8)

For us, non-Multichannel premastering clerks, the master clock of the given converter is best.  Two channels at a time is all's we needs.  And this allows each converter to "wheel" freely against the rates of the others. 

Thanks for the explanation, though.  Now we are on same page.

Laarsų
Laars Oglethorpe, V

Table Of Tone

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »

That's why the Trinity is great!
You can lock down up to three systems, all at their own individual SR's and reference the whole shabang to 10 Mhz.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.