R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probably not a lot of need to post this here, but I hate PODs...  (Read 4843 times)

Bivouac

I bought a POD XT when it first came out because I was going away to college and didn't think my 100w Marshall would be very well accepted (yup!).  Well, I suppose I ended up playing more acoustic guitar back then (easier to pick up girls that way...) and the POD XT got put away until we needed some vocal effects on our practice PA.  So it got a little use there, but I've never used it on a recording that I've cared about before...

Well, in my new band, the logistics are such that I'm not able to carry any of my amps back with me home.  So I've been finishing up a new batch of demos for the band and my POD is my only means of recording the remaining guitar parts.  It's not a lot of fun...

Sure, it still sounds like "guitar"; it just doesn't have a soul.  It's pretty, and slick, and fills space, but it's not like a 57 up against the grill of a real amp in a real room--no personality.  How is it that anyone can appreciate these things except for a last resort or a practice tool?

I find myself having to double everything I record with the POD just to give it some "imperfection".  Anyone have any other tips?

Frob

Re: Probably not a lot of need to post this here, but I hate PODs...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 04:44:29 AM »

i know exactly how you feel. i dislike line 6 as a whole for recording, live it is okay.

Bivouac

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 01:29:55 PM »

I have their DL-4 delay and love it--a really good digital delay that's really flexible.  The "bean"?  I'd unload it if it weren't so convenient sometimes...

Frob

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »

see live there good. they provide a desent sound and unmatched flexibity while still being able to take the beating of playing day after day with the same results. they are reliably enough and sound good enough for the road, in in the studio the same effect can sound better if you can affourd the right out board equiment.

Stan Barrington

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »

I hate to stick up for the Line 6 Bass POD BUT-there is ONE particular tone that just goes well with my Schecter diamond Bass gtr.I have spent HOURS trying every combination while playing in a mix and I think it's worth it for just the one-trick pony that it is. OK-this is where Fletcher squashes me with his "There is only ONE Bass-a Fender P!!!"

Frob

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 04:11:19 PM »

a fender P? i have always been more a fan of the rickenbacher 4000x seires of basses. but to each his own.

kayagum

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

Like with anything else, you can get it a lot closer to reality with some tweaking.

With the POD, I think working with the mild compressor settings make a huge difference (a little sustain, a little swell). Managing the ambience (reverb, etc.) helps as well.

I think this is not necessarily POD specific, but issues with direct recording in general. I had cut my teeth on SansAmps, and working with mild compressors and reverb helped them as well.

One other thing: you could run the POD to a keyboard amp, and mic that. At least you don't need to crank the volume to 140dB!

BTW: I was able to use the POD for 2 theater show runs, and it worked great.

Bivouac

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 09:08:22 PM »

Alright, here's a game:

I just finished up recording my band's three latest demos ("Demo 5", "Demo 4", and "Demo 3").  Two of the three demos have POD guitars, one has a Marshall JMP and a Fender Twin Reverb.  Can you guess which one?

http://www.myspace.com/thesightstheyaffect

The one with real guitars was an SM57 into a $100 B**ringer mixer through a stock laptop soundcard too.  So we're not exactly talking quality here.  I'm a hack at mixing stuff too...

I think all three turned out VERY differently...

smorgdonkey

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 01:27:29 PM »

Man...I don't know...Demo 3 has the real amps? I was going to say 4 but changed my mind.

Brett Mixter Rader

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 08:37:28 AM »

The pod has its place.

Unfortunatly its not in a studio.

SPGrover

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 01:04:47 AM »

"The pod has its place.

Unfortunatly its not in a studio."

It would make a nice paperweight, perhaps?

scott volthause

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »

It works well as a door stop too.

Bivouac

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »

smorgdonkey wrote on Fri, 18 August 2006 11:27

Man...I don't know...Demo 3 has the real amps? I was going to say 4 but changed my mind.

Yup, you're exactly right, but it kind of disturbs me that it was a tough decision Smile

To me, the real guitars are "rounder" and have a better sense of space.  I was also able to do more overdubs without getting too muddy.

Of course, we've now taken "Demo 4" down and put "Demo 1" back up that actually has real guitars, so now it's hald real, hald POD.  Oh well...

the figurehead

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 04:09:18 AM »

Bivouac wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 02:38

I bought a POD XT when it first came out because I was going away to college and didn't think my 100w Marshall would be very well accepted (yup!).  Well, I suppose I ended up playing more acoustic guitar back then (easier to pick up girls that way...) and the POD XT got put away until we needed some vocal effects on our practice PA.  So it got a little use there, but I've never used it on a recording that I've cared about before...

Well, in my new band, the logistics are such that I'm not able to carry any of my amps back with me home.  So I've been finishing up a new batch of demos for the band and my POD is my only means of recording the remaining guitar parts.  It's not a lot of fun...

Sure, it still sounds like "guitar"; it just doesn't have a soul.  It's pretty, and slick, and fills space, but it's not like a 57 up against the grill of a real amp in a real room--no personality.  How is it that anyone can appreciate these things except for a last resort or a practice tool?

I find myself having to double everything I record with the POD just to give it some "imperfection".  Anyone have any other tips?

I have both the POD and PODxt... and I must say I like the sounds I can get out of the original POD much better than the xt. As someone else mentioned, however, it's only going to sound as good as the person tweaking it's ears.

I hear what you are saying about having to layer parts, but to me, that's the beauty of the POD. One of my favorite recipies is one track of "Bassman" panned about 75% left, one track of "Bluesbreaker" 75% right, and one track of "Twin" dead center. A little breakup on the panned amps, and some reverb on the Twin, and if you duplicate your performance reasonably well, you'll end up with a great sounding track... just mix to taste.

I think there are two main problems that seem to frustrate alot of people concerning the POD. First off, I think alot of people actually expect it to sound just like all of their favorite amps. In this, it does fall short. What it does do, however, is give you a generic "Marshall-esque" or "Fender-ish" canvas on which to build your sound. One needs to delve into all of the many options to get the sound you are after. The cabinet and mic simulations are better used as a sort of "EQ" or "Character" control. You'd be amazed at how much changing the cabinet and/or mic settings can change the sound. If the POD were marketed as what it is, a signal processor, as opposed to an "Amp Simulator" it probably wouldnt sell that well, but it would lead less people astray. Do the "Amps" "Mics" and "Cabinets" sound exactly like the product they claim to be "simulating"? Sort of... most of the time, but the POD is better used as a sound shaping tool than a "Vox in a box".

The other problem is most people tend to set the gain about 30% higher than it needs to be. It's a strange instinctual behavior that it takes guitar players years to overcome with "real" amps... but the learning curve seems to start all over again once the POD is out of the box. Turn down the gain (unless you are playing metal), and I promise the sound will improve.

The POD, like a "real" tube amp is just a tool, like any other instrument or amplifier or piece of gear.

Hallams

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 08:22:32 PM »

One problem is  too often players want to  have stereo guitar parts. I Hate the slightly out of phase waveform!
The other is the speaker emulation. I find a Hughes and Ketner Red Box after the pod is a better option.
The other is how a lot of young players i record seem to go overboard on the distortion that is a constant tone even when the chord changes, and too much sound above 10k.
As an option i often record a direct signal after  foot pedals but bypassing the pod, and in mixdown send it to my little 15watt vintage guitar amp with alnico speakers miced up in the iso room
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.