R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crackling during recording...tried everything..about to go crazy!!  (Read 7344 times)

amorris

Re: Crackling during recording...tried everything..about to go crazy!!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 09:43:54 AM »

PSU power supply unit. is this crakling or popping? big difference. you have to try another delta. thats your problem i bet. an electronic tech can test your psu and repair it if needed. if you had a slow transfer rate, you would get drop outs, maybe popping, not crackling.

spectorbass83

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 01:36:12 PM »

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=565850

Follow the link for an audio sample. This is just something quick I did up, it only has guitar.
The cracklins/popping is apparent at 5s, 11s, 17s 23s, 29s, and 35s.

Does this sound fimiliar to anybody?
Check out my band's website
www.myspace.com/ontologyband

spectorbass83

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »

amorris wrote on Thu, 20 July 2006 08:43

PSU power supply unit. is this crakling or popping? big difference. you have to try another delta. thats your problem i bet. an electronic tech can test your psu and repair it if needed. if you had a slow transfer rate, you would get drop outs, maybe popping, not crackling.

Is there anyway to test this myself?  If not, what kind of store do I take this
to for a test?
I have no other Delta available to me to try so that's out of the question...

crm0922

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 12:33:37 AM »

disable hyperthreading.

Move the card to another slot.

C

amorris

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 09:26:57 AM »

you would need to monitor with an o-scope the power pins of the a-d and d-a converters and opamps while you were recording to see if you get noise or spikes. in other words, you'd open it up and find the problem. what ever that might be. tv repair guys might be able to help, maybe not.

spectorbass83

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 05:04:01 PM »

So after doing pretty much everything people here have recommended, I decided to take my PC into the computer store I baught it from and recreate the problem for them. I am doing it tonight, hopefully they fix it!

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thank you all for the help.

Buzz

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 12:49:36 PM »

Up your buffers up to 128/256 or further and see if it goes away , you are processing 4x's + the data now going to 24 bit and 96khz so you are probably overrunning the buffers. !!!!

LAter
Buzz

PS: take it all the way to  1024 and see if it goes away if it does there a resource problems

Jeff Gazdacko

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »

my reply might be a little late...

but to me it sounds like a driver and/or resource conflict issue.

since this is a PC, before I break out an O-scope I'd uninstall the drivers for the audio interface, reboot the computer, then reinstall the drivers, and maybe open up windows hardware manager and look for any potential resource conflicts.

If I had a little extra time, just for safe measure, after I uninstalled the drivers, I'd shutdown the computer, remove the PCI audio interface card, go into the bios and have it reset IRQ's for plug and play OS's, boot the computer back up, then shutdown, reinstall the PCI card, go back into the bios and have it reset the IRQ's again (or if I really wanted to take the time to make sure there aren't IRQ conflicts... I'd hardset PCI slot IRQ's... but that would take more time), and reinstall the drivers when the PC booted back up.

Then if I were still having issues, I'd call up the tech support the for manufaturer of the audio interface.

As for checking IDE hard drives... I know some programs that do fairly low level diagnostics (check access/read/write speed and throughput, check for the drive's status via SMART, etc) for SCSI drives but not IDE drives...

just found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_R eporting_Technology

if you're worried about your hard drive this might help you.

-Jeff

urban angel

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 02:55:48 AM »

Hey Spectorbass

So  . Experimenting cracks and pops during recording is a common issue of the pci bus sharing . The  main problem is that the sata controller is somehow fighting for priority along the pci buss. The process explanation is more pompous , but i'm trying to explain it plain and in an easier way .
Changing latency time and buffer will not help at all. All you can do is to avoid using either the sata drives or to move to another sound card which is not sharing the pci bus . The firewire should do this job really fine . I've got the same issue for about an year . I've lost too many nights trying to make this things work. No results . As soon as i've replaced my delta 1010 sound card with the RME fireface 800 , using the onboard firwire terminal all my problems are gone .

Hope this helps.
 Regards

danickstr

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 12:51:37 AM »

this thread is a classic example of why someone should make a box that is pre-tested with all the right crap in it and you tell them you want to use cubase or DP or whatever and they build it for you and it works for like a year.  they tell you which plugs work and you either slave clock to it or from it, and then you get x tracks and if it crashes, you just ghost the image back into a new drive.

how bout it, science?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.