R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mx 5050 question. help!  (Read 2698 times)

jab

mx 5050 question. help!
« on: July 21, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »

i think i read that steve ., ,.you had an mx 5050 1/2 "  8-track.
if not, i'm shure someone around these parts has one.

for some reason, i pushed the memory button, to the left of the counter.  now for some reason:

- my counter counts in to the negative as the tape advances, which i can't seem to change by prerssing "memory" again.

in fact, now, when i push "memory", the tape goes into FF mode.? and the only way to stop the tape is by pressing "reset".?

any one.,., what am i missing here., i went through the manual, only the most general info is given.

please help,

thanks in advance.

jab

Re: mx 5050 question. help!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 05:51:18 PM »

oh, and whenever i go into FF or RR, the ONLY way to stop the machine is to push "memory" and then "reset".  

although, if i am in the play mode, i can push "stop" for the tape to stop.

?
anyone?
?

Teddy G.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:41:23 AM »

I don't know. It's been too long.

A. It's broken.

B. It's doing what you asked it to do and to stop it doing so, you need to "countermand" the order. How? I don't know.

I must assume you don't have the operating manual? I did a quick search for "Otari MX 5050 manual" on the web and plenty of links came up(Useful links? I don't know.). Anyway, having such a machine without a manual seems a bad thing. If you can, at almost any price I suppose(You have the machine!), you should get a manual. I'd try to find a service manual, as well. Even Otari, themselves "may" be able to provide one? I don't know.

TG

jab

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 12:18:47 PM »

i went through the manual, only the most general info is given.

thanks.

at any rate,
i buried a potato in the backyard, and today the counter is back to normal, and the "stop" function works again.
but seriosly folks,
it just decided to work today, thankfully.

Teddy G.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 01:47:23 PM »

I don't know how that stuff worked in those days, but, just to ask - have you tried unplugging the Otari, letting it sit a minute then plugging it back in again? Maybe it'll "reset"? Maybe the contacts on the memory switch are dirty? A careful cleaning? Sorry I don't even remember what the memory did - though it may have been a "one place" memory, so when you pushed almost ANY button AFTER pushing memory it always tries to go back to the memory location as fast as it can go..??? You'd think just pushing it again would turn it off, huh..? Go figger...

Someone will know..

TG

And yes, I should have remembered how bad the manuals were......

rankus

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:15:30 PM »

You've got the tape wrapped around the wrong side of the pinch roller or capstan, or tension roller (whatever)... (it's counting backwards).... I used to do this all the time with mine... drove me crazy!  Re-Thread the tape.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

carival

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »

That sounds like the problem.  The tape was threaded incorrectly.  oops!  I've done it too.  The memory button is just trying to find 0.
chris rival
middleville studio
http://www.chrisrival.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 20 queries.