R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: what are you favorite mastering plug ins  (Read 16581 times)

cerberus

Re: what are you favorite mastering plug ins
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2006, 02:28:07 AM »

z-noise uses waves' own technology.  it is a single ended nr device intended to offer higher quality nr than other reasonable options in cases where [much more expensive] double ended nr systems would be impractical to apply.

jeff dinces

trock

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2006, 02:00:54 PM »

Has anyone tried the PEAK mastering suite that is relatively new? i posted that question on the mastering forum on GS but haven't gotten any response. just wondering if anyone here may be using them and what your thoughts are on it?

thanks

Ronny

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2006, 09:52:21 PM »

astroshack wrote on Sun, 06 August 2006 23:15

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 07 August 2006 06:46

astroshack wrote on Sat, 05 August 2006 18:48

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 05 August 2006 13:39

considering how little I actually do heavy restoration work, and that with a little time and effort you can get some of the cheaper DAW based solutions to work nearly as well as the pricy hardware.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Restoration is a skill which takes a long time to learn. There are many techniques, all combining pragmatic decisions based on thoughtfully considered compromise. Using noise reduction tools is also a skill which can only be learned by considerable, regular experience. Even the best tools can seem unimpressive if you arent intimately familiar with the many techniques used when deploying such tools.

Sean

Sean -
Thanks for the patronization - but while my mastering experience is certainly less than many here and as stated restoration is certainly not a niche I do much of -  I figure the 15 years I've been doing audio engineering counts for something, and among that experience has been useage of a number of restoration tools - and not to toot my own horn - but I'm certainly capable of evaluating the effectiveness and downsides of processors at this point.

sorry Steve - my bad - I should have been clearer in my response, which was intended for the benefit of other readers, not to patronize you. In hindsight, I can see how you could interpret my post as you have, so my full apologies are extended to you. In other words, I was making a point for the benefit of readers who may not be aware that restoration is an entire skillset which can only be learned by long experience. I had no doubts at all that you were well aware of this and was not questioning your skills or experience.

With respect the Waves restoration plugins, I know them well and know their limitations, but they are based on very good algorithms developed by Algorithmix and licensed to Waves. The "real" Algorithmix restoration tools are a quantum leap over the Waves variety, but they also cost a whole lot more. So I can see why Algorithmix didnt give the game away for the Waves versions, but the Waves restoration plugins are still signficantly better (in my opinion) than many of the cheaper options out there (I try them all, within reason). Often, it is just the speed with which the tool can be used: some of the shareware tools are bog slow. But yes, some of them are quite good. Even so, none of them come even remotely close to the power offered by the Algorithmix suite (the EQs, ReNOVAtor, noise reduction and declicker tools).

Sean  

Hard to talk about restoration tools without mentioning Cedar. Gordon, Christian, Tony, they've really got it together.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------