R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: what are you favorite mastering plug ins  (Read 16545 times)

dcollins

Re: what are you favorite mastering plug ins
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 01:18:08 AM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 16:39

Actually I have a pair of vintage Pro Co Rat pedals (the pre LED version) custom modded with detented swtches & tranformer balanced i/o for just such a purpose that's WAY better than the BM's.  C'mon DC - get with the program.

What kind of 9V batteries do you like?

DC

dcollins

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2006, 01:19:23 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 17:37

Better to have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

AKA

"Better to have a free bottle in front of me that a pre-frontal lobotomy."

DC

minister

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006, 01:28:02 AM »

dcollins wrote on Wed, 26 July 2006 00:18

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 16:39

Actually I have a pair of vintage Pro Co Rat pedals (the pre LED version) custom modded with detented swtches & tranformer balanced i/o for just such a purpose that's WAY better than the BM's.  C'mon DC - get with the program.

What kind of 9V batteries do you like?

DC

C'mon Dave!  I can't believe you are not an Eric Johnson fan!

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

ericjenson

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2006, 01:54:56 AM »

Quote:

ericjenson wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 17:09

i don't know what's wrong, but after having 2 failed burns from sequoia in trying to use it this way, and no failures so far after i'd say almost 50 with Gear Pro on my Plextor, i just tend to prefer it; seems more reliable for the purpose.

Wow, I'd look into re-installing it or something - Sequoia's DDP support has been perfect for years...

thank you , this has been helpful, and a big reminder to me:  update my drivers regularly.

i emailed magix customer support after a reinstall and a failed burn
they suggested updating the drivers for the plextor;
which i did, over a year out of date, px-712a.

anyhow it works now.

i still haven't got a response from them about their vst/dx support which seems unstable and unpredictable, i haven't been able to track down which plugs are causing the problems, but i get digital clicks in the audio more often then not when using plugins through sequoia.  it's not my sound card, which is an Echo Mia, which i also just updated the drivers for; because i can find these clicks in the waveform as sharp spikes where it seems samples were skipped in the processing.  so i'm assuming it's coming from the way sequoia is handling the plugins because with wavelab and soundforge , no problems of this kind.

the effects built in with sequoia, like the dehisser, work fine.
Eric Jenson
Mastering Engineer
Acoustics Engineering Apprentice

J.J. Blair

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2006, 02:19:25 AM »

minister wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 22:28

I can!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

minister

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2006, 02:26:20 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 26 July 2006 01:19

I can!
C'mon JJ! I can't believe you don't recognize Irony!
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

cerberus

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 02:44:54 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 26 July 2006 00:47

Steve, thou doth protest too much.  I don't think my post said, "Plug-ins suck for mastering."  I was just commenting on some of the ones suggested, without picking on anybody in particular.  
i thought you did mean it that way... one of your collegues who mixes for a red hot chili somethigns band told me that t-racks clipper is useful to him... i didn't ask where or when, but just know that it -is- for someone who is at your professional level at this moment. i also recall a mastering engineer here mentioning it in the first wump, so that new information i'm receiving on t-racks from two sources could be true.

what think is making software start to work and not be so obviously "itb" sounding is people starting to  exploit the possibilities and explore their tools more instead of just "plugging them in" as if they actually did sound or behave like analog boxes. i never felt i was in so much control in analog, it was always more dependent on what boxes were in the room at the moment... now i want to try to make a "control matrix" for mastering almost all based on technique and strategy...because there are only so many kinds of audio tools.. most are really based on ..delay.. not magic.  i think any tools can work.. even t-racks alone...it just wouldn't resemble the chain one imagines from analog: imo it would be a pain in the ass, but not impossible.

jeff dinces

J.J. Blair

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2006, 10:16:27 PM »

minister wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 23:26

I can!

I did!

BTW, T Racks is one of the worst sounding plugs I've ever heard or used.  Terrible.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

minister

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 11:29:41 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 26 July 2006 21:16

minister wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 23:26

I can!

I did!
Alright!
Quote:

BTW, T Racks is one of the worst sounding plugs I've ever heard or used.  Terrible.
Agreed!

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Catalin Truta

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 11:31:02 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Wed, 26 July 2006 07:10

If I ever need a plug in it's the Waves de-esser.....

Which one of them?

greg charles

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2006, 04:11:52 PM »

What I find interesting is many compare the newest plug invention with Waves. Waves is the standard still? With the Waves WUP many on other forums scream bloody murder, damn Waves to hell, and then conduct a non-biased "shootout" to prove just how lame Waves is compared the brand X new low-cost revolutionary plug.

I have used PSP and Voxengo on occasion but mostly stick with the plugs that I have used for years with success...UAD and Waves.

As mentioned earlier, its much more beneficial to read Bobs book, get educated, and really LEARN the plugs (what they can and cant do in an environment)to achieve sonic objectives as opposed to focusing on slight nuances, having the newest plug upgrade, and meaningless comparisons.

Pingu

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2006, 05:08:36 PM »

greg charles wrote on Sun, 30 July 2006 04:11

What I find interesting is many compare the newest plug invention with Waves. Waves is the standard still? With the Waves WUP many on other forums scream bloody murder, damn Waves to hell, and then conduct a non-biased "shootout" to prove just how lame Waves is compared the brand X new low-cost revolutionary plug.

I have used PSP and Voxengo on occasion but mostly stick with the plugs that I have used for years with success...UAD and Waves.

As mentioned earlier, its much more beneficial to read Bobs book, get educated, and really LEARN the plugs (what they can and cant do in an environment)to achieve sonic objectives as opposed to focusing on slight nuances, having the newest plug upgrade, and meaningless comparisons.

I wish i read and adhered to this advice months ago.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

cerberus

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2006, 05:52:23 PM »

greg charles wrote on Sat, 29 July 2006 16:11

What I find interesting is many compare the newest plug invention with Waves. Waves is the standard still?
Quote:

scream bloody murder
Quote:

low-cost revolutionary plug.

analog has always been the "standard" in mastering.  waves is an acoustics oriented company; imo, that makes them a bit special.  but expensive?  no, masselec and sontec are expensive.

jeff dinces

jason goz

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:38 AM »

Laughing index.php/fa/3199/0/

Ronny

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »

My favorite mastering plug-in, is the power cable on a 670.  Smile
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------