R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual CK1 variant  (Read 4688 times)

MagnetoSound

• R/E/P Forums
Unusual CK1 variant
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:35:42 AM »

Hi all,

I just saw this photo of an odd-looking CK1 capsule. Anybody here seen this version with the gauze at the end before, other than the earlier CK26/28?

I don't have any personal interest in this mic, other than the fact that it piqued my curiosity.

Dan Sansom
Magneto Sound
UK

Jim Williams

Re: Unusual CK1 variant
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »

I recieved a pair with similar looking capsules on them, but silver, not black. They had a weird end connector to fit the body. I don't have pics as it's now sent back.

Richard Land said they were home made jobs and not working properly. They have been replaced with a couple of CK-1's he made up from old parts, those sound amazing.

MagnetoSound

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »

Hi Jim, I am wondering if this is a modified CK2/22. There was a version that was closed at the front, don't you think this looks a little like it's been drilled through?

Dan Sansom
Magneto Sound
UK

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »

Not really. The CK-22's have a closed top that's rounded on the edge. I thought the weird capsules I had here were nickle, but the diaphrams turned out to be gold mylar.

MagnetoSound

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:41:07 AM »

Thanks Jim. I have original examples of CK1 with both gold and nickel diaphragms, if that is of any interest.

Klaus, I am aware of the rules here with regard to cross-posting. I feel I should mention that I have now posted this query at the AKG forum too, in case anybody 'in house' can shed any light. I shall of course post a follow up to my enquiry here with any information gleaned elsewhere, in case it will help anyone.

Dan Sansom
Magneto Sound
UK

klaus

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:45:33 AM »

Dan,
I thank you for your considerate response re: cross-posting. In this case, you did the right thing and did so respectfully.

Cross-posting is mainly an issue when someone does the buckshot approach and bombards several forums with the same inquiry, in the disrespectful assumption that such low-effort approach will yield more. You can certainly not be accused of that tactic.

Best regards,
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

MagnetoSound

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, Klaus. It's great to be still here posting on Mic Lab MkII.  :)

... and it has been suggested by AKG forum's 'micdoctor' that the capsule pictured appears to be the version of CK1 that was fitted inside the CK9 long shotgun housing - which truthfully had never occurred to me - so it seems that's cleared up.

Thanks all,

Dan
Dan Sansom
Magneto Sound
UK

Jim Williams

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:44:03 PM »

I just restored a I think CK-5? with the vocal blast filter and round basket head. I removed the rotted foam and there was a piece of paper across the diaphram to keep wind out. Now it's all open and sounds like a CK-1. It just looks a bit weird.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 23 queries.