R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mixing surf  (Read 2311 times)

xonlocust

mixing surf
« on: July 17, 2006, 01:10:32 PM »

any suggestions?

i have a band, basics tracked already - getting close to mixing.  so far in rough mixes i've thrown some tape delay on stuff.  a real plate would be good, but of course i don't have one...  drums are tracked traditional modern ie errything miced - thinking maybe i should just go w/OH & kick?  and kill a lot of lows all over.  this will eventually be pressed on 7".  

j.hall

Re: mixing surf
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:50:58 PM »

youdon't need plate.  you need spring verb.

you might be able to get in and out of a the spring verb on a guitar amp if the tank has RCA connections on it like marshalls do.  i've seen this on some ampegs as well.

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »

This is one time where i ask myself if verb on the kick helps.

I have a spring in the rack just for this type of mixes...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

pg666

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 05:58:11 PM »

if the guitarist didn't track w/ some sort of spring reverb are you sure he even wants it? it's not exactly a subtle thing..

i think downplaying the trap mics is a good idea. i'd try using the overhead that best captures the ride cymbal and keeping the drums in mono.

xonlocust

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 06:12:40 PM »

yep, the gtr used spring reverb on tracking, shoulda thought to have just used that again for other stuff on mixdown - which we'll probably do.  some of this stems since i have yet to track some bari sax overdubs - we did some quick test the other night and of course close mic'd dry sounds stupid in context. added ambient helps definitely, but it's not 100% there.  i think it mostly applies to treating the vocals, perc & sax.

all this is sorta hypothetical info anyway, i have no idea what direction they'll wanna push the mix when we get in, but i'm just trying to brainstorm directions i can take it.

thx all for your input so far.

nk

NelsonL

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 08:52:24 PM »

Do you have access to Altiverb etc?

I'm pretty sure there are a few spring reverb IR's out there.

Actually we have a really nice Fender Reverb hanging around right now but I haven't had time to bust it out yet.

Try driving a reverb with the close mics-- they might still be of use.

xonlocust

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 02:06:33 AM »

rattleyour wrote on Mon, 17 July 2006 19:52

Do you have access to Altiverb etc?

I'm pretty sure there are a few spring reverb IR's out there.

Actually we have a really nice Fender Reverb hanging around right now but I haven't had time to bust it out yet.

Try driving a reverb with the close mics-- they might still be of use.

everything's on tape, but i do have DP with whatever stock stuff is in it, and a motu 828 ii which i have succesfully synched to the tape machine, so it's possible...?  i haven't installed anything other than what's out of the box from DP so i assume not.  (i'm admittedly on the novice side of DAW work - but learning!) and my cpu is crap.  

this particular band's pretty stoked on an all analog record.  the bass player did say "it's so nice to not see that fucking protools screen and just listen back" when tracking.  

but for my own info, are there any altiverb type programs that are more affordable? i'm not spending 900$ on something like that at this stage.  

close mics on the aux sends sounds good.

el duderino

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:08:26 AM »

a guy i know has an awesome demeter spring reverb thats just 1 rack space. He got his off ebay for like $400. I'm not sure what they are new, but maybe you could find a rental?

garret

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »

xonlocust wrote on Tue, 18 July 2006 02:06

but for my own info, are there any altiverb type programs that are more affordable? i'm not spending 900$ on something like that at this stage.  

On the pc side, Sir is very good freeware, and Voxengo has a couple of excellent convo plugs for less than $100.   I use the basic one that's included in the AnalogFlux suite...

On the mac side, not that I know of...  I think there's a spring algorithm in Luxonix LFX-1310, which is freeware.

http://www.luxonix.com/home/en/products-lfx1310.html

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:01:31 PM »

See if anyone you know has one of the Roland Chorus Echo or 501 tape units that had the spring-type reverb built in.  They can sound fabulous as surfverb.

Don't mix in as much bass drum as for modern normal music.

Yes to using the close mics as verb sends, but don't use the dry signal much from them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 16 queries.