R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: mixing styles of the rich & famous  (Read 19055 times)

Arf! Mastering

Re: mixing styles of the rich & famous
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 21 July 2006 19:30

How would you provide evidence on something that's subjective?

I'd have to disagree about you trying find the "truth". The client is king me thinks......refer to DC's starch analogy.....

Not being personal......or sarcastic Al but I do get into people's grille when there is something to be challenged.

I find your thinking flawed in this instance.

Well, our stock in trade is subjectivity, no?  Survival as an ME depends on subjectivity, in choosing the right gear and making the kinds of sonic decisions that make your clients smile, especially after they leave your studio.  Bad subjective sense = no soup for you.   As to the DC analogy, my reply above was based on the tacit assumption that the hypothetical clients who got the cold, sterile, cheap digital sounding masters didn't request them that way.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

chrisj

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2006, 08:34:40 PM »

ericjenson wrote on Thu, 20 July 2006 23:31

i mean as loud and bright as possible using every atom of headspace possible, squeezed to the maximum, "radio ready", platinum selling, mastering.

For what it's worth, what I've heard out of there (I checked up on some Ted Jensen stuff to see what it was like) is better described by:

Percussive hits right to the limit of how hot you can make non-tonal stuff without making a big 'splat', and not a bit hotter-

Choruses and outbursts right to the limit of how hot you can make those without it starting to sound like a big 'splat' and not hotter- maybe 3 db down from the drum hits-

Verses and cruise control about 3 db down from that in turn, or just enough breathing space to still have a sense of openness in there somewhere-

Brightness NOT as bright as possible, at all: rather, the top end extends up right through the air band without any reservations or forwardness, and all bright sounds bloom and come out as much as they have to, never more than they have to-

Overall balance lacking in funny emphasis but more significantly, without the sense of any EQ coloration added anywhere. No 'high gloss', the highs are part of the music. No 'bass slam', the slam comes off the instrument sounds.

I sure as hell learned something. I think there's much to be learned, actually, and the skirting-the-limits-of-program-density is only one small part of the picture and is in fact happening on at least three different levels- percussive hits, outburst level, and 'cruise control' level, and they all have distinct 'loudnesses' that can be distinguished.

People forget that I study and analyse sound in a variety of ways. The technique that was telling me about the different density levels is RMS loudness plotted over time, something which I think is more useful than total averaged levels, because it's about what you DO with the program density. I might add that of the WUMP V stuff, the artist had done a very hot master himself, but ended up liking Sunny's take on it even better. Sunny had one of the two hottest peak levels on percussion of anybody, but did not have a wildly hot average level...

Secret distortion recipes are definitely a blind alley Wink it's all about overall balance, musical results and the deft USE of high density sound where it will matter.

Now, having said that, I'm poor too, please hire me. I promise I'll make it 'sterling'  Laughing

jackthebear

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2006, 08:37:39 PM »

AlanS wrote on Sat, 22 July 2006 10:28

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 21 July 2006 19:30

How would you provide evidence on something that's subjective?

I'd have to disagree about you trying find the "truth". The client is king me thinks......refer to DC's starch analogy.....

Not being personal......or sarcastic Al but I do get into people's grille when there is something to be challenged.

I find your thinking flawed in this instance.

Well, our stock in trade is subjectivity, no?  Survival as an ME depends on subjectivity, in choosing the right gear and making the kinds of sonic decisions that make your clients smile, especially after they leave your studio.  Bad subjective sense = no soup for you.   As to the DC analogy, my reply above was based on the tacit assumption that the hypothetical clients who got the cold, sterile, cheap digital sounding masters didn't request them that way.

Regardless (if I read into your thinking correctly) even it that was the case you'd be more interested in them proving it to you that that was the case, rather than address the issue because it was your client's wish?

Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2006, 08:58:34 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Fri, 21 July 2006 20:37

Regardless (if I read into your thinking correctly) even it that was the case you'd be more interested in them proving it to you that that was the case, rather than address the issue because it was your client's wish?

Well, yah, it might go something like this:  "Holy shite!  My last 23 masters really do sound like cold, sterile, cheap digital - the wanker was right.  How come I didn't notice that when I was working on them?"   I guess to be sure, I'd have to a/b against some stellar stuff out of  s..ss....sss... MasterDisk.  

DISCLAIMER:  The previous is intended for entertainment purposes only , no matter how dubious, and resemblence to any persons, entities, or trademarks whatsoever is purely coincidental.
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”

jackthebear

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »

AlanS wrote on Sat, 22 July 2006 10:58

"Holy shite!  My last 23 masters really do sound like cold, sterile, cheap digital - the wanker was right.  How come I didn't notice that when I was working on them?"  

Your words not mine. Send them to Sterling. Sheesh Al. So your client's are "wankers"?
This truly confirms what I suspected all along......you aren't cut out for this business because you're more interested in being right.

You really deserve to be treated with contempt.

Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2006, 09:25:27 PM »

See, this is how it gets silly.  By the wanker, I meant the guy writing the hypothetical attack post that Brad originally posited.  

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 21 July 2006 13:09

What if someone was posting about the 'arf sound', commenting on how they could make records cold and sterile, sounding like cheap digital. Whether their assessment was accurate or not, you wouldn't consider that an attack?

Look, I was making an effort to lighten up.  I thought our sub-discussion was funny, but clearly, right or wrong, you did not.  Sorry....
John Lennon

jackthebear

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »

AlanS wrote on Sat, 22 July 2006 11:25

See, this is how it gets silly.  By the wanker, I meant the guy writing the hypothetical attack post that Brad originally posited.  

Hypothetical or not Al you still believe you are right and that clients are wrong.....

Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2006, 09:34:37 PM »

sigh
John Lennon

CWHumphrey

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2006, 10:34:54 PM »

Looking for that lock.....
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

bblackwood

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2006, 11:07:49 PM »

CWHumphrey wrote on Fri, 21 July 2006 21:34

Looking for that lock.....

Beat me to it, this one has more than run its course...

http://projects.euphonicmasters.com/misc/locked.JPG
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.