R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP VI news  (Read 19633 times)

chrisj

Re: WUMP VI news
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »

I'm with Cerberus in essence- I've had a lot of stuff going on (hey, some of it's even mastering work! Very Happy ) and I'm raising a kid, and I still got comments in. It took me more than an hour but less than three, and I skipped dinner that day to fit in the critical-listening.

If you want to do something, you'll do it. I think we learn useful things about how gung-ho people are by how they handle this- why sign up if you're not prepared to be gung-ho about it and make an effort? We learn how people are handling criticism that day, and I know that every single time, 'experienced members' or not, I learn new things just by what generally sounds right to people. It's audio zeitgeist- even annoying-sounding entries tell me to what extremes people can go, and in which directions.

I will not humbly wait for more experienced, talented guys to honor us with their eventual responses if they don't want to be doing this in the first place. Yeah, yeah, so you can make everybody look amateurish. Guess what? I learn from the amateurish guys too. You've got to be able to get something out of ALL the entries, not just the 'pro' ones. Everybody's got something to bring, even if it's just evidence of what they're trying to make happen. I like to think my comments illustrate that.

I'm still enjoying WUMP, but the new rules are stunting it. We should be able to talk about each other's entries directly from the word go. Accept that a lot of people will just be dismissive of everything and move on...

bblackwood

« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2006, 03:03:01 PM »

cerberus wrote on Mon, 31 July 2006 13:14

but when i attach the concept to wump frequency, the meters go dark here...it takes a top pro less than an hour to master a single track...and an hour to listen to twenty masters as they type some comments.  what takes a month?

Look, I have some clients waiting weeks just to get singles done - is it so hard to believe that squeezing in an extra hour or two for this isn't exactly at the top of my list of priorities?

Come on guys, cut us some slack. I want to listen to them all, maybe even master Steve's track if I can find the time, but it's just not there right now...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bblackwood

« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2006, 03:07:28 PM »

I don't think there's anything preventing you guys from discussing techniques etc.

Wait, I forgot I stopped that thread. OK, my bad, it's re-opened.

Get to it here...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ged Leitch

« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »

Thanks BB.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

mbruce333

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »

chrisj wrote on Mon, 31 July 2006 12:02

If you want to do something, you'll do it. I think we learn useful things about how gung-ho people are by how they handle this- why sign up if you're not prepared to be gung-ho about it and make an effort?

In my case, taking a long time to get my comments out is not a lack of "gung-ho!"  I haven't even hardly been home (where my studo is) and I'm not going to do any critical listening on my lap top from the road.  I know you weren't trying to single me out and certainly some could be draggng their feet without a great reason, but it does NOT mean that someone is automatically lazy.  Sorry if I'm getting a little defensive, but this is something that IS very important to me and I don't want others thinking that I'm just sluffin' it off.

Tonight it'll get done come hell or high water!

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

chrisj

« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »

People are either in a position to do this (at any given time) or they're not. Brad's not, for instance- doesn't matter if he wants to, he's not. There could be times where I'd not be in a position to do it either- maybe more likely because of family stuff, as my family can become a seriously time-and-a-half job sometimes, but if so I'd sit out a WUMP without being troubled by it.

If this bothers you, push something else out of the way and WUMP merrily along, then. There's no reason anyone should be happy if you are having a hard time responding promptly, any more than they should be mad at you if you sit out a WUMP. I think far more than most projects of this type, WUMP manages to incorporate brutal time-management elements. Some of us thrive on that sort of thing and some of us hate it. It's just another level of the biz, and an element of learning.

If anybody really thought they should be turning down paying gigs in order to WUMP promptly- send them to me please. If I get enough, you won't see me for a while Wink

Pingu

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2006, 05:12:51 PM »

cerberus wrote on Mon, 31 July 2006 22:02

if the mechanism runs too fast, errors in the data will increase. this is true for any system.

What type of errors creep in when the system runs too slow?
We need to find the optimal fit.

BTW
WRT my comments ill get to them soon.

This WUMP has ran away from me as i have been too busy to stay on top of it.

Any how i started reading the comments and without giving my submission away i made an error in uploading my submission.
I came to this realisation after going through the comments  and thinking that cant be right.
So i downloaded what i uploaded and it is definitely not the master i intended.
I had files everywhere at the time and its just an honest mistake. I uploaded the wrong file.
How can that be you may ask.
Poor file management.......         Maybe.
Too late to correct.
Sorry for the incompetence guys.
And sorry for using up a valuable WUMP space.

If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Ed Littman

« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2006, 12:24:56 AM »

Pingu wrote on Mon, 31 July 2006 17:12

So i downloaded what i uploaded and it is definitely not the master i intended.
I had files everywhere at the time and its just an honest mistake. I uploaded the wrong file.
How can that be you may ask.
Poor file management.......         Maybe.
Too late to correct.
Sorry for the incompetence guys.
And sorry for using up a valuable WUMP space.

Better here than a paying client. their 's more to learn with the wumps than eq/comp. etc. I think this whole exorcise really gets ones shit together for real biz.

Ed

mbruce333

« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2006, 01:06:01 AM »

Quote:

Better here than a paying client. their 's more to learn with the wumps than eq/comp. etc. I think this whole exorcise really gets ones shit together for real biz.

Ed

Amen!

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.