R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something About 57s  (Read 11568 times)

Frob

Re: Something About 57s
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 04:21:35 PM »

Jeff Gazdacko wrote on Tue, 22 August 2006 15:07

Vertigo wrote on Mon, 14 August 2006 15:07

They're cheap, they sound "good" on just about any source, and you could run them over with a truck without damaging them.

Have you ever ran over one with a truck? I haven't tried that before... but I've seen way too many SM57's with cracked/broken plastic windscreens to allow them to qualify as being durable let alone the "greatest mic ever".  If a hit from a drummer could break them I'd doubt an sm57 would survive being run over by a truck.

In fact I refuse to ever buy an SM57 due to the "cheep" feeling of the plastic windscreen.   There are plenty of other options out there that in my opinion sound better and are far more durable.

-Jeff

i dont think that i have ever seen one with a broken wind screen. also i would not want to meet a drummer, big enugh to break an sm57, in a dark ally.

and yes i have seen one get run over by a truck and it did survive. hell its a solid tube filled with glue with an opening on one end for the element and an xlr on the other.

Fig

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »

jdier wrote on Fri, 18 August 2006 19:21

Ironklad Audio wrote on Sat, 12 August 2006 19:18

i saw a post a replies back stating that someone thought the SM57 was still produced in the USA

unfortunately, they're now being made in mexico from what i understand

Mexico is better than China.

Unless you are craving an egroll. Rolling Eyes

SM57s are "Assembled in Mexico" - NTTAWWT.

Regarding rugged and reliable (Shure's claim to fame) - I would challenge ANY manufacturers' handheld mic to survive the torture tests we put ALL of our microphones through (even the studio mics).

Warm analog regards,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Ironklad Audio

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 11:35:18 PM »

$5 says the audix i5 could take more of a beating than a 57...

but seriously, who cares? tell the damn drummer ahead of time not to hit your mics, or he'll have it up his ass for the rest of the session

Vertigo

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »

I guess the plastic is less delicate than the rest of the mic (although I've never actually seen the windscreen on a 57 break), but it's hardly an Achilles heel. The basket underneath is quite sturdy - you'd have a hard time damaging the capsule, even with the hardest hitting of drummers. And I don't know if anyone here has ever tried drilling through the body of a '57, but I can personally tell you it's TOUGH...

-Lance

compasspnt

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Sat, 26 August 2006 13:55

I don't know if anyone here has ever tried drilling through the body of a '57, but I can personally tell you it's TOUGH...

I have, and it is!

thedoc

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2006, 01:08:34 AM »

"plus the Sennheiser is obviously the model for the original Star Trek phaser gun). "

So this explains why whenever a phaser is set to stun, the low end rolls off.
Doc

Frob

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2006, 02:23:16 AM »

Ironklad Audio wrote on Thu, 24 August 2006 20:35

but seriously, who cares? tell the damn drummer ahead of time not to hit your mics, or he'll have it up his ass for the rest of the session

i dont think that they really try to break mics it just sort of happens.

Fig

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »

Frob wrote on Mon, 28 August 2006 01:23

Ironklad Audio wrote on Thu, 24 August 2006 20:35

i dont think that they really try to break mics it just sort of happens.

I'll agree, but they SHOULD be hitting the drums instead. Rolling Eyes

Regarding the bet, there's more to "rugged and reliable" than who can take the hardest hit.  There is temperature fluctuations - both in operation and in storage, there is moisture and humidity, vibration, and many others.  Drop tests are merely that, environmentals are the real sadists.

Next time I see an i5 around the plant, I'll put it through the temperature test:  the one that toggles between -(20) degrees F to 165 degrees F.  If its diaphragm doesn't become unglued, I'll put it in the 100% humidity tank - pretty much guaranteed to destroy most capsules.  Those Quality Assurance guys and gals really love their jobs!

You can make the check out to Thom Fiegle.

Osci-later,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 17 queries.