R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Something About 57s  (Read 11569 times)

compasspnt

Re: Something About 57s
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 08:57:49 AM »

Yes, Heaven forbid that a microphone should pick up everything.

bilco

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 11:06:14 AM »

I almost posted something I would have regretted..... I learned the hard way at work to sit on e-mails written when pissed for at least 24 hours.....

I'm gonna attribute my bad mood to diverticulitis and go back to bed now.

.....and in spite of what I don't know yet, I WILL get a good sound out of that #$^**#%@ D2832!  

......or I'll sell all of it and record at Harvey's.....

bilco

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 11:57:13 AM »

bilco wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 11:06

I almost posted something I would have regretted..... I learned the hard way at work to sit on e-mails written when pissed for at least 24 hours.....

I'm gonna attribute my bad mood to diverticulitis and go back to bed now.

.....and in spite of what I don't know yet, I WILL get a good sound out of that #$^**#%@ D2832!  

......or I'll sell all of it and record at Harvey's.....

bilco

I like 57s for rock tracks sometimes, other times I like an SM2, or Bova Balls, or KM 84s, or in some cases 4033s. Dynamics can sometime be the ticket especially when compared to condesers that are more marketing than mic.

Also, keep in mind that the room plays an enormous role in micing acoustics and that trwating, not treating, placing the player and all that needs to be handled. FWIW since my room has been redone i have had to totally reinvent my standard go to procedures although i have the same mics, pres, compressors and guitars. Change is good.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

hargerst

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 12:35:22 PM »

bilco wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 10:06

bilco

Or, you can do what the guy with the D28 (that I recorded) did; just accept the guitar for what it is and record it, weird overtones and all.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Teddy G.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 01:58:26 PM »

Another 57 question. There are several Shures with the "57" on them now(Beta, whatever..?), do any of the numbers or "extra" names on any of them mean "now made in China"? Are any of the mics still made in the USA? I know with community speakers the MVP2's, the "2" must mean "gone 2 China", that's where they're now made(Should have guessed from their too low price.). Yes, they sound fine, no nothing against China(Nice job, worked well - I need more power to push them!), but I bought them BECAUSE they were made about 60 miles from me in Chester, PA -- uh-uh - "made in china"... If I hadn't been starting 3 weeks worth of gigs in two days after I got them I would have loaded them in my pickup and taken them down to Chester and thrown them through their front doors(I hadn't been so absolutely, insanely mad in a long time.). Say-La-vee... Anyway, are the Shures still made in the US?

TG

bilco

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 05:00:39 PM »

Lo siento amigo, pero yo pienso que ellos ahora son hechos en M

Frob

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 05:04:43 PM »

as far as i know the SM57 is still maide in USA. i would expect taht the electronics in the betas are mading in china, but i doubt the whole mic is. then there are the other new cheap 57s, thouse i expect are made in china. i do not know for shure so dont quote me on this.

as for the 57, i love the 57 on most sources, vocals included. if some one knows how to work a 58 then chanves are they will shine on a 57. i love my 57s and you would have to pry them from my cold dead hands.

as to micing they acoustic try this. get a reflective corner, face it. move in untill you think it sounds good. then put the mic right over your shoulder. and point it at a wall, you will have to mover the mic around untill you find the right spot. this is an old blues methode, it wont sound crystal but it will be interesting.

wwittman

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 01:48:05 AM »

Teddy G. wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 08:03

So, the 57, then, sounds "better" because of what it's NOT picking up.....? Hummm.....?
TG

no, the 57 sounds "better" because either:
a) you heard 'everyone' uses them on ____, or
b) you have not tried another microphone in a direct comparison...

or both.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

McAllister

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 09:15:17 AM »

The 57 sounds good to me because:
    1) for years and years it was the only mic I had (w/ my Tascam 234 4-track). So I got very used to how it sounds.
    2) it's been used so long on snares and guitar amps, that it's part of my sub-conscious; there is a "rightness" to the sound.

That said, I find I am using mine less and less often.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

Fibes

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 10:00:12 AM »

wwittman wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 01:48

Teddy G. wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 08:03

So, the 57, then, sounds "better" because of what it's NOT picking up.....? Hummm.....?
TG

no, the 57 sounds "better" because either:
a) you heard 'everyone' uses them on ____, or
b) you have not tried another microphone in a direct comparison...

or both.

William is on a crusade and while he's at it I want to know what he uses for a pad on his condensers on loud sources.

Fibes
The Studio

bilco

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:06 AM »

Lessons learned tonight about recording my D28 Shenandoah:

All of these were done using the RNP.  I did try the Behringer ADA8000 and it wasn't too bad, just unremarkable.

The MD441 sounds a LOT better than the SM81, 12th fret, 6" out, new medium strings. I kicked in the presence boost and dialed the bass rolloff to 1 click from M.  Nice high end, the harsh overtones are actually gone. It sure is a tight pattern though, like looking at something through a tube from a paper towel roll.

I STILL like the way the SM57 sounds at the 12th fret, although it's not what I was searching for.

Curious to see what 2 57s would sound like, I took the windscreen off of my battle scarred 15 year old SM58 and set it up with the SM57 in an X/Y pattern.  The 58 is tired and needs more gain, but it really sounded good to me, in a garage band, home studio kind of way.  Razz

I needed an excuse to get another 57 anyway so I have one for snare and one for guitar cab when I am recording our band live.  SM57 haters, make me a deal!!

The SM81 captures that harsh ringing bunch of overtones when the guitar is soloed. I don't know why I got this mic for recording my acoustic. It did work pretty well on the Martin live the other night though, way better than the builtin 1st generation Thinline piezo.

When I bring up the vocal, bass and drum tracks, ALL of the acoustic tracks sound okay, just different.  So I started listening from the point of view of which one of these is getting in the way of the vocal the least.  The answer was the X/Y 57s, because the vocal is centered between them.  If I could only afford a pair of MD441s.....

If I shouldn't post what is child's play to everyone else, let me know and I'll stop.  I am just trying to start practicing some of what I read in the big mic thread and I appreciate any guidance given.  

Maybe some parametric EQ would make all of these experiments sound about the same, but I am trying to go with the best placement and no EQ going in.  Somebody else is going to have to help me mix this mess and I don't want them having to undo a bunch of bad EQ applied to the basic tracks.  

I will try the idea of playing into a corner tomorrow with a mic over the shoulder.  That's gotta be different!

Thanks,
Bill

wwittman

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 02:41:27 AM »

Fibes wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 10:00

William is on a crusade and while he's at it I want to know what he uses for a pad on his condensers on loud sources.

the one built in to the mic
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Joe Black

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 07:45:03 AM »

bilco wrote on Wed, 26 July 2006 00:38

I will try the idea of playing into a corner tomorrow with a mic over the shoulder.  That's gotta be different!

Thanks,
Bill

I use the mic over the shoulder when I'm looking for a big acoustic sound, though I've never sat in the corner while doing it. My mic there is a Rode K2. When you try this, you might also stick the mic you liked on the fret board on the fret board and see how they sound together.

Fibes

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 10:27:20 AM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 26 July 2006 02:41

Fibes wrote on Tue, 25 July 2006 10:00

the one built in to the mic

That narrows it down...

Heh.

Miles wants a 451, I want an 84.
Fibes
The Studio

Frob

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 05:03:42 PM »

honestly i would take just about any mic, i have stoped buying equipment to complete projects. at some point you just have press recored and live with what comes out the other end as the best you could do at the time.

hargerst wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 09:35

Or, you can do what the guy with the D28 (that I recorded) did; just accept the guitar for what it is and record it, weird overtones and all.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 17 queries.