R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Decided to have active speakers built............  (Read 13739 times)

Michael Hynes

Update 3....
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:30 AM »

Here is a shot of a stack waiting for calibration.....

mpdonahue

• Real Full Name: Mark Donahue
Re: Decided to have active speakers built............
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »

Michael,
I have to say that your build looks great.
I was just taking a look at your DEQX and was wondering- With all the space in your chassis, did you consider using a linear supply as opposed to the switcher? Obviously it is a mixed signal board but I assume that there are independent 12v or 15v bipolar supplies for the analog audio.
Just wondering.
All the best,
-mark

Michael Hynes

Switching Power supply..
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »

According to the guys I got the OEM boards from The linear supply was tested and created a "minute
Psychoacoustic difference but not subjectively superior"
I am going to see how the rig sounds stock and if need be I will do component level upgrades and possibly
the digital board option. So in the later case AES into the DEQX then digital board out to the UNL-8.
If all goes well with plan A I will Aes out from the ULN and come out of the DEQX into my power amp.
The Boards are technically the same as the $4K version so those units are well thought of in Audiophile
circles....

Well will see!

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »

Yeah Michael,

That looks beautiful and solid.
Ribbon tweeters and all.. nice!

KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Michael Hynes

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 07:04:41 AM »

Thanks Kayo!

The ribbons are RAAL Oem's which are the flattest tweeter my designer has measured.
They are supposed to disappear in use.

M

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »

I bet..
Big fan of the ribbons. They really do diminish overall listening fatigue from experience.
This system is going to have a nice sound I bet with a lower cost on the whole.

Wish, I could hear it.. For you, it’s time to enjoy after all the hard work and waiting.

Ciao’
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Michael Hynes

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 07:23:17 AM »

I have never been drawn to Ribbons before finding these units so this will be new for me.
The Guy who designed my small monitors is quite a genius in the speaker design world
and when he heard the RAAL ribbons he had an epiphany of sorts. I believe he was quoted as
saying something like the tweeters sound like music and nothing more. As for how the ribbons measure
it is as accurate a tweeter as one can find this side of a diamond unit. The combination of the Accuton
ceramic mid and this tweet should be quite a microscope. This system and the Buzz REQ-2.2 should be
in at around the same time so its christmas time here in Asheville!

Michael Hynes

The Speakers are done!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »

My project is done and the rig is going on a pallet on monday...
I will report when the units arrive.

M

Michael Hynes

Here is the calibrated profile of system performance
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »

The shot in the last post was testing in the listening room but the profile was taken in the lab.

Michael Hynes

There done!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »

Got the monitors set up today and simply turned it on and listened to some mixes and records.
Wow.....
The system is very revealing...
Never, save the time I heard a DEQX system in Boulder has a set of speakers shown the flaws in
program material so brutally! If the MIX is lovely, Angels sing but if there are technical inequities
they are obvious. Subjectively  more detail than the B&W's and Dunlevy's I have heard before. 
Now the fun starts as I can hear things in the room that need attention + I have to delve into
the room correction measurements.

The bottom line is I am very satisfied with the rig!

I will be back with pictures and more data after I room correct..

M

lowland

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 03:36:10 AM »

Congrats Michael, I'm watching this with great interest. Have you really been able to do it for $7k, or has 'budget creep' occurred?

It appears there's never been a better time to get 'bang per buck' with speakers - I heard a prototype set of the Unity Audio Boulder actives (Tim De Pavaracini amps) the other day, which to my ears were suitable for mastering. They should sell at £4,300 + VAT, also about $7k according to Google's currency converter.

http://www.unityaudioproducts.co.uk/boulder.php
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

Michael Hynes

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »

Hey Nigel,

I stayed below 7k actually but I put 5 months of leg work in on this! The units I have are proof of concept
but my intention was to create a system that is at the cutting edge of technology but did not have some
of the audiophile esthetics that drive the price mile high. The more I listened last night I must say these
units function in a much more refined manner than almost any monitor I can recall. The Low end is
quick and extended easy into the twenties with room gain, the mids are holographic and the tweeters are invisible and non fatiguing. The mid and high drivers are found in systems that cost ten to fifty K and the 12 integrates very well and functionally replaces the need for a sub at least for my workflow. Thanks to Chad at Meniscus for a killer invisible crossover and his partner Mark for great build. Stay tuned for pictures in room and the possibility of a limited number of turnkey systems in the future. (they came out so good I may have to share!

Best,

Michael

lowland

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »

Stay tuned for pictures in room and the possibility of a limited number of turnkey systems in the future. (they came out so good I may have to share!

Will look forward to it.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

Michael Hynes

Wow..
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 12:00:42 AM »

After many hours with these speakers I am actually shocked how good they are......
I was expecting very functional for the budget but I think we have landed on something special.
The last full range speakers I had in the shop was the Barefoot mm 27s but this is a whole
other animal in terms of resolution. Even before room correction I am hearing deeper into recordings
than I can ever remember and without fatigue. The Raal OEM tweeters don't sound like transducers the
music just floats and with the ceramic mids the presentation is holographic. I checked translation on a
master and was very pleased
with the result.

More to come after room correction.......

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.