R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mytek Stereo AD 96  (Read 2746 times)

Joe_caithness

• Real Full Name: Joseph Caithness
Mytek Stereo AD 96
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »

So search seemed to show no thread on this converter, surprised seeing as so many people seem to use em.

Just upgraded my AD to one of these, instead of going back into my RME ADI2, the ADI2 is still providing the DA.

First impressions, wow, it's definitely different to what I had before. What I am trying to work out, is why when I do A-B blind tests between the audio in my DAW and the audio recorded through my chain (please note, through all my outboard in hard bypass also), the capture result now sounds better!?

I mean, I was expecting some kind of sonic footprint, but it actually sounds bigger, more 3D and if anything more "analogue".

Now as far as I am aware, there are no transformers in any part of this signal path, and definitely no tubes.

So why, as scientifically as you like, does it sound "better"? Is anyone else of the same opinion of theirs?

It's definitely a big chance from my RME AD, which was basically the signal going in, but with some mid range stereo image blur/confusion and less bottom end. If anything this seems to sound like it has MORE bottom end, or a least something is pyschoacoustically making me think this.

Perhaps I will add audio if the artist (a friend of mines very good garage rock band, recorded by himself to a very high standard indeed) and you can tell me what you think in your rooms...
http://www.subsequentmastering.com

Online mastering, based in Nottingham, UK

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
Re: Mytek Stereo AD 96
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »

Good report Joe, even the 96k version sounds good.

As with other current generation ADCs, I suspectected the Myteks are up to the job.

I've thought of buying one as a backup, in case of emergency, to keep a session running, but sounds like it deserves even more consideration than that.

Best, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.