R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPL versus Crookwood analog router?  (Read 2693 times)

jazzius

SPL versus Crookwood analog router?
« on: July 07, 2006, 02:25:46 AM »

http://www.soundperformancelab.com/pdf/brochures/spl_120v_we b.pdf

http://www.crookwood.com/products/iRou-A1.htm

Anyone tried either of these?........any issues?......which would be the one to get?.......does it matter (both passive routers with sealed relays)?

Cheers!........Darius

Sonovo

Re: SPL versus Crookwood analog router?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:09:21 AM »

Hi Jazzius,

I have the Master iMon at my facility. I haven't heard the SPL personally, but can attest to the sonics of the Crookwood. It's about as transparent as can be. Purist signal path, sealed relays all the way through, top quality components only. It's also quite a bit smaller physically than the SPL link you gave. The one advantage the SPL has is that it's a lot prettier (as is the Avocet), if that's important to you.

My expectation would be that both are using excellent components in top class designs, so it basically comes down to aesthetics and how much you're willing to pay. Unless the SPL has some features the iMon lacks?

Also, the iMon is extremely flexible and can be tailored to your facility. Crispin (at Crookwood) is very helpful, always answers the phone and is just an all around  really nice guy.

I looked at the SPL stuff when I was looking for a console, but couldn't justify the price compared to the features and compared to the competition.

As for users, The Plant mastering (in California) uses Crookwood, Sydney Opera house ordered one recently for a facility there, and there are others listed on the website.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Thor

jazzius wrote on Fri, 07 July 2006 03:25

Anyone tried either of these?........any issues?......which would be the one to get?.......does it matter (both passive routers with sealed relays)?

Cheers!........Darius

masterlab

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 06:01:10 AM »

We just ordered a full blown Crookwood Transfer/Monitoring Console from Crispin.
Comparing the demo unit to a couple of other pieces, we think it's very transparent.
Being equipped with analog and digital insert routing, MS option, selectable transfer AD DAs and the complete monitoring controller the price is around 1/2 of the DMC and 1/4 of the MMC2.
Not to speak of, if you want to go surround in the future, Crispin will take all your parts and reconfigure the whole thing with additional parts, charging only for new parts and work.

Our biggest problem was, finding out what we want, cause there are so many options to choose from...

-a-

andreas balaskas
chief mastering engineer
    www.masterlab.de

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 03:06:50 PM »

At Georgetown we have Crookwood for the monitor path and SPL for the signal path.

jazzius

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 07:21:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies.......Bob, why did you choose the SPL for the signal?

It seems like the Crookwood is the better choice as it's cheaper, smaller and with more features, the only downside being that the Crookwood controller is butt-ugly compared to the stylin' SPL remote.

Is there any disadvantage of DB25 connectors compared to those big funky elco ones on the SPL?..........Darius

ammitsboel

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 05:43:58 AM »

The SPL is a high voltage design, it's almost as good as a decent tube design.
Just joking... tube switches... hehe

If you only need passive routing then why not build one like Brads? Is your setup very complicated?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

J.Gawlowski

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 06:00:43 PM »

jazzius wrote on Fri, 07 July 2006 07:25

Cheers!........Darius

Hi,
I've been using crookwood console for 3 years now.
Sounds clean,very flexible,no tech problems.
Good console for a reasonable price.
Crispin has been very helpful too.

Jacek Gawlowski
www.jgmasterlab.com

jfrigo

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 10:52:51 PM »

Crookwood rocks. Haven't tried the latest stuff, but used some mastering bricks back in the day. Crispin is as talented a designer as he is a nice guy.

Doug Van Sloun

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 11:28:34 PM »

I can't say enough about the Crookwood systems.  I've been using mine for about a year now and I can't remember life before it.  It must have been terrible though...

I've got a custom rig with monitoring, analog, digital, metering and converter switching.  It's very elegant and simple to use.  It's clean and quiet.  It's totally expandable and the price/performance ratio can't be beat.  Crispin came up with some great solutions for my needs.  I eagerly await my new monitor card and software upgrades.
Doug Van Sloun
http://www.focusmastering.com
Omaha, NE

Ed Littman

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »

Doug Van Sloun wrote on Sun, 09 July 2006 23:28

I eagerly await my new monitor card and software upgrades.

i'm still waiting for my analog router......he did say it would be shipped last week Very Happy
ed

jackthebear

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 03:49:02 AM »

The Dangerous is also worth a look. Great build quality and feature set. Chris Muth is on the money.

It also pays to keep things as simple as possible. You can get carried away with features and cool as they may be, they may also be to your detriment.

I pretty certain I'll be getting another Manley custom jobbie for my next room.

Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.