R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: heartbreaking news  (Read 10427 times)

electrical

heartbreaking news
« on: July 09, 2006, 06:50:31 PM »

Each year at the Tape Op conference, Electrical Audio hosts a free poker tournament. The winner of the tournament gets a free day in the studio including tape and other necessities. This year, another studio also donated a day, making the prize worth several thousand dollars. Naturally, a free chance to have a couple of sessions in nice studios attracted a lot of attention from the attendees, all of whom love a bargain.

The early favorite and eventual winner of this year's tournament was a fellow named Samuel Zawada, who accumulated an enormous chip lead over the course of the weekend. In addition to attending the conference, he and his fianc
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Toomanywires

Re: heartbreaking news
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:26:52 PM »

That's really sad Steve and I am sorry to hear that.

It sounded like things were going really well for him and then the unexpected occurred. It always happens to the good people, and I can relate to that.

A really good friend of mine (Torey) that I grew up with recently died in a car accident too. A while back he decided to move to N.Y. and find a solid band to play drums with and just be happy. He was an incredible drummer that loved to travel and see the world for what it was. I was certain he would accomplish all of his life long goals. A couple months after he left for N.Y. I took a trip to visit some old friends at a party in my hometown. I did not hear from Torey for a while and I just assumed he was out working night shifts in the city with his cell turned off so I left him a message about the great party he was going to miss. Later that night a couple of guys at the party were joking around and started talking about Torey's death listed in last week's local paper. At first I thought they were just kidding with me since they were kind of laughing about it but then they showed me the obituary. I was lost for words and felt hurt like I never felt before. I kept thinking to myself my god he only wanted to get out and experience life. He was just following his dream and he died at 27.
I find the old saying: You cannot shine a turd applies best in the music industry.

minister

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »

that is simply terrible!!

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

drumsound

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 01:39:29 AM »

How very sad.

rankus

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »

Live for today, because you never know....

Condolences to Steve and the family.
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 04:12:10 PM »

Our sympathies go out to you and your lost friends' families.

We too know what that's like.

A few years ago we had a terrific group record in our studios.  These guys, "For Squirrels," were from Florida, and several attended the U of FL.

They spent about 5-6 weeks here, and we became quite close.  They were wonderful guys.

Once the album was finished and ready for release, they went to NYC to do a label showcase.  Everything went well there, and they wowed the Sony people.

Then on their way back to Gainesville, FL in their van, they rolled it on I-95.  Three were killed, and others  severely injured.

The very day we heard the news, a package arrived here.  It was from the band, full of thank you notes and little remembrance gifts.

I couldn't sleep for a week.

Hud Hudson

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 04:37:03 PM »

Sorry to hear the sad news, Steve, that's a bummer. The very last session before my last studio closed in March was for a local singer who died less than two weeks after the final tracking date and never heard her completed record. It was quite a shock to my partner, who was curious why she'd never gotten back with him to approve the mixes he sent her. My heart goes out to the families and friends...my wife died suddenly almost a year ago and there's no way to explain those tragedies.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Fibes

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:50:51 AM »

Damn, words do no good at times like this.

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 14 July 2006 16:12

Then on their way back to Gainesville, FL in their van, they rolled it on I-95.  Three were killed, and others  severely injured.

Terry,

Their van flipped just outside of Savannah, I had the pleasure to know them and unfortunately see what happened to the surviving members on subsequent tours. Nice bunch of guys and it broke my heart to see them shelved by Sony on their follow up project, forced to fulfill a contract and "play the game."

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Kris

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:09:12 AM »

Definately heartbreaking.  

For Squirels were from my hometown and great friends of my brother in-law.  Crazy guys.  Another heartbreaker.

Funk-O-Meter

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:46:13 AM »

Yea, that For Squires record was a good record.  I lived mere miles from where that happened. Ironically I was into the record before it came out at that very time. I had no idea.

You know, nobody ever gets out of this world alive. Except for maybe that one guy. But thats still up for debate.

If I had to pick a time to go, it being on the road with my band after a string of successes (Including making a good record with Steve in the dead of night instantly wouldn't be too bad a choice. At least the band and Steve left us with a good record.

Damn shame though....

Sorry about that Steve.

intervalkid

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 11:54:53 PM »

That is just awful and terrible.
All we can hope is that they are together making music in heaven.

Phillip Graham

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 11:37:21 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 14 July 2006 16:12

A few years ago we had a terrific group record in our studios.  These guys, "For Squirrels," were from Florida, and several attended the U of FL.

They spent about 5-6 weeks here, and we became quite close.  They were wonderful guys.

Once the album was finished and ready for release, they went to NYC to do a label showcase.  Everything went well there, and they wowed the Sony people.

The very day we heard the news, a package arrived here.  It was from the band, full of thank you notes and little remembrance gifts.

I couldn't sleep for a week.

Our sympathies go out to you and your lost friends' families.

Wow, talk about an old memory.  UF is my alma mater, and I remember the band/story.  Probably saw them play at least three times.

Both stories sad indeed.
Phillip Graham

Bender

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 02:47:11 PM »

My father passed away when I was 16 unexpectedly (i mean I was walking into work to go wash dishes when I found out) and it took me a long time to be able to reconcile the fact that the shit that really matters never goes away, even if the corporeal form does.

The only thing we can take away from experiences like these is the lesssons we learn and the memories we share with our friends, family and great loves.

I'm truly sorry to hear of all your losses. The optimist in me can't help but think: aren't we all better from having the chance to share what time we did with those we care about?  Nothing and no one can ever take any of that from us.  

My condolences, I wish you all the best

b
Brian Bender
Looking Glass Studios

Larrchild

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 08:24:36 AM »

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

jimmyjazz

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »

Larrchild wrote on Thu, 31 August 2006 08:24

[For Squirrels Video.

Thanks for that!  I had never heard of the band before.  Kind of in the Dumptruck/REM/Sidewinders vein (which is a very good thing, in my opinion).
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.