R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FYI, be careful (scam warning)  (Read 7458 times)

bblackwood

FYI, be careful (scam warning)
« on: July 07, 2006, 10:49:34 AM »

Just got this in an email from the Nashville AES chapter:
Quote:

Evidently there are folks targeting Nashville based business with web sites. I know of 2 other folks that were contacted with a similar scheme. I was contacted by email by a "potential" client and eventually sent a fraudulent check for a larger amount than requested. They wanted me to send them a refund. I called the bank in Minnesota and they had me fax the check to them and confirmed it is a fraudulent document. Evidently the new US currency is too hard to counterfeit, so they have moved to printing bogus checks that are supposed to look like "bank" checks.

Anytime anyone sends too much and asks for a refund it should set off alarms in your head...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bob Olhsson

Re: FYI, be careful (scam warning)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »

Counterfeit bank checks have been a big problem for years. I worry about them more than I do personal checks.

Ed Littman

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 11:24:17 AM »

The same scam is happening for music teachers with over seas inquiries. US postal mony orders are also promised. just had a a shmoe try it on me this week. I played with him a bit through a few emails, but i knew his game, so that was the end of that

Ed

UnderTow

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »

These scams are all over the place. I've been selling some equipment on-line and each time I post an item on a site, I get 2 or 3 emails that are obvious scams.

The sneakiest are the ones that use fake cheques. The money actually gets onto your bank account so people think everything is fine but within a week, when the cheque gets checked, it bounces and the money is removed from your account. By then some people have allready shipped the goods ...

Alistair

-phile-

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »

hi dreamer....

It happened to me, but actually Paypal facilitated the whole scam. I was paid through paypal for my old g4 loaded with flat pannel... and paypal ok'ed everything.... and a week later requested the money back, however by that time I had already moved everything out of the paypal acct and into my personal (which was changed just like all cc numbers, the moment the paypal headaches started)..... Of course since I don't have a business account with paypal they assume everything is my fault and that I should return the money without giving any sort of explanation or even telling me what steps they are taking to resolve the issue (report the theft to police, to apple so they can track the id...) .... all they said was it is confidential info so they don't have to tell me anything and just brushed me off -- talked to PD and they said I shouldn't worry and if PP has problems to bring them on Smile))) hehehehe..... Main reason I don't touch eBay and PayPal anymore, and I am sooooo happy that google is finally starting serious(at least promising it) competition.

TotalSonic

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »

Also - I received a bunch of extremely well disguised emails that look like they are sent from Paypal - & tell you someone has tried to use your Paypal account and that they need you to login to your Paypal account to verify it or else they will cancel it as a security measure.   So - you click on a link that says https://www.paypal.com...etc.  and brings you to a webpage that looks exactly like Paypal's login page - except if you look at the url it is not paypal.com!!  

So - lots of people are going to efforts to try and steal your paypal account info... yet another thing to beware of.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

-phile-

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:07:33 PM »

Absolutely, my biggest problem in those scenarios is the stand that PayPal takes Sad ....

Best,

Tim

turtletone

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »

there's a guy out there that made an art out of playing with these scammers. I can't remember his website, maybe do a google for nigerian scam or something like that.

anyway he doctored a western union money gram in photoshop and then tells the scammer that he sent the money and includes the photoshopped money order pic as proof. they email a couple of days later and says the money never arrived, he pretends to see what happened and then picks a town about 200 miles from where they are and tells them that something must have happened and it went to this other town. They trek the 200 miles to the town only to find out that there is no money order there. He says he must have made and mistake, it's in yet other town and emails them a confirmation (fake of coarse) from western union showing it's in this other town about 200 more miles away. It's pretty hilarious.

Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Taproot

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 02:55:44 PM »

Yeah, I had a "Nigerian Hip-Hop Artist" that wanted to work with me. He would send a money order (bogus) and I was to pay the bass player in England with the remainder. I played with him for a while and just when he was getting excited I told him to f**k off. Pretty funny. I did continue to e-mail him to ask about the status of the project. He he. MAGGOTS!!!
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

dcollins

Ed Littman

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 05:40:41 PM »

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Very Happy

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 10:44:11 PM »

This is how my person approached me

Hello,

compliments of the day to you, how are you and how is work, hope all is well.

my name is SHERRL SMITH, I'm from Spain, and am into music basically and for sometime now i have been working on my major project.

actually i have been thinking about carrying out the production of this album and i will like to let you know that i will be interested in carrying out this production at your studio so kindly let me know if we can release in your Studio, we will be using seven days for the recording so please let me know how much it will cost us to release in your studio. i mean record in your studio.

hope to hear and work with you soon.

Best regards
SHERRL SMITH

and ended up with this

Hi Thomas ,
    Thanks for your contacted, i have contacted my sponsor
and we have concluded on the price but there is a little
favour i want you to do for me and i need your understanding
and honesty. My sponsor said that he will send you a check of
$4500.00 , when you get the check, you will deduct the
mastering fee and send the rest of the money to me for my expencies
like flight ticket , hotel reservation , etc. Hope you understand me
and if you are ok with my arrangement with you , you can forward
your full details to me , your name , address and phone number and
i will send it to my sponsor to issue the check to you ontime for
fast transaction.
Hope to read from you.
Sherrl.

I told here we do not do business this way and it was a scam and she wrote back

Hi Thomas,
      This is not a scam nor fraud , afterall you have to wait for my sponsoor check to clear before you do anything , i have also contact my sponsoor about this and he told me that he is not willing to do it that way but due to some fact which he can not discuse with me , he have to do it that way, Thomas i want you to accept it like that and when you receive the check , you will wait for it to clear before you can move further.
   Reply ontime.
    Have a nice day.
    Sherrl.

I wrote her back and told her I was NOT INTERESTED and that we did not do business that way. I never heard from her again.

We also have recently sold some stuff on EBAY and even though we said VERY CLEARLY we would only ship to the US and to Mexico and Canada the bid was won by a gentlemen from Nigeria. I think it is a scam but we will wait to see what develops. We told him that the shipping would be very expensive but he has yet to reply.

Lots of scammers all over the web.

Also by phone.

Potential client calls up in a hurry needs 200 CDs duplicated by the next day. For the simple reason that we had never done any business with this person we said we would need $300.00 as a down payment before we could proceed and the rest due before he took the CDs. He wanted to bring over a personal check but since this was such a rush and since we did not know who we were dealing with asked him to bring us us cash, a bank check or a Postal money order which he said he could not do because by the time he called us back all the banks and post offices were closed.

We currently do not take credit cards so I suggested Pay pal which he did not want to do either. I declined the job because it had SCAM written all over it. Maybe it was not a scam but anyone who is in that big of a hurry and finds all kinds of ways of not paying us in cash or verifiable money transfers and the red flag goes up. He called me a few names on the phone and slammed the phone down when he hung up but I would rather have that happen then be out for time and MATERIALS.

I talked to a couple of other people who do CD duplication and they said they had similar calls from a person wanting extremely rushed materials.

Too bad this kind of behavior is getting more and more prevalent.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Gideon

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 01:03:52 AM »

Gideon Egger
May Ying Music, Inc.
Hell's Kitchen NYC

I put 4 compressors in series and i got more Milk and Cream and Thick sound out of the audio but why?

-Walters

dcollins

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 02:13:53 AM »

Gideon wrote on Fri, 07 July 2006 22:03

http://www.419eater.com/

Much better link!

DC

Ronny

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 12:04:32 PM »

I just as soon not give scammers a reply to their messages as they then know that it's a valid e-mail address and will continue to send scam mail.

I have no problem dealing with anyone long distance and sight unseen, but no deposit, it's full payment up front. Tom if you'll adopt this policy you'll weed out all but the serious people and you'll never get screwed. Other business that offer products and services get full payment up front, mastering and duplication is no different.

Regarding Pay Pal, fraudulent electronic transfers are covered up to $100,000 by my bank, which is a Pay Pal affiliate. Pay Pal and credit card companies never ask for your account number or for you to verify it by e-mail. I talked to Pay Pal about the same scam that was mentioned earlier, they said that they don't e-mail people to verify and to always log into their website to change passwords when this happens. Last 3 credit card purchases that I did on-line, I received notice that someone had been trying to use my account from a foreign IP, the transactions were supposed to be encrytped so I don't know how they got my e-mail addy. Each time it was within 24 hours that I got the scam, so I'm pretty sure these are not mailed out randomly. If you right click on the message and view properties, message details, it will show the sender is not Pay Pal. In my case the sender was realtracs2, probably a faked return addy, but it never says Pay Pal in the "received from" message details.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------