R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMPV - Post Your Techniques Here  (Read 11719 times)

Ged Leitch

Re: WUMPV - Post Your Techniques Here
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »

Wook wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 22:23

I'm sorry to post the details this late.
First, the signal chain.
Protools LE (+Antelope OCX clock)
=> DAC1(Benchmark)
=> EAR 845 EQ
=> TML Shelf EQ
=> TML Limiter
=> A/D Converter(JCFAUIO)
=> TC Finalizer
=> SADIE

At the EAR EQ, boost the 2kHz by 1dB,  lower the 120 Hz by 1dB.
At the Shelf EQ, +2 100Hz, -2 250Hz, +2 7KHz, +2 22KHz.
I don't think this numbers are useful other than me, because the EQ that I used is very unique shelf only EQ. What I wanted to do is to clean up  the low mid area which makes sound muddy, and to get more bass line and low energy of the kick and bass for the low register, and to add some presence for vocal and snare, and some openness at the high end.

I actually like the non-compressed version, but felt that voice is little buried, so I used the limiter very little, less than half dB of gain reduction at most, to pull out the vocal little bit. The limiter that I used is our own design limiter using the same opto cell as LA-2A though the rest of the section is completely new design of Mr. Sherwood Sax.

And then, I used the TC finalizer for the 2dB of brickwall limiting. I don't use the multiband or EQ at all in it, just the normalizing section.

Sorry not to post the opinion on the other submissions. I'm extremely busy to finish the projects so, I'd like to ask your kind understandings.

Sunny

Hi Sunny, could you elaborate on the EAR EQ and the TML shelf EQ?

never seen them before, they sound superb going by your entry.

cheers,
Ged.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Pingu

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2006, 01:50:50 PM »

Alright guys.

Whats the attraction to dominion?
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Ged Leitch

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2006, 01:54:21 PM »

It's a transient enhancing plug similar in sound to the Waves Trans X plugs.

No matter what i try I always get more problems than when i started when using trans X OR Dominion.

That said, I know ED and B.Boyd have used them successfully....

Probably just me at fault!

Pingu

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »

Try voxengos WW.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Matt_G

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2006, 09:22:06 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Sat, 15 July 2006 03:25

cheers,
Ged.

Hey Ged, I know I'm not Sunny but we have been PM'ing outside the threads & he has filled me in a little bit more. I think he listed the E.A.R. EQ wrongly as I can't see a EAR 845 model. I think he means the EAR 825 which is a passive hand made valve design. You can check it out at mercenary audio or vintage king.

As for the TML shelf EQ, it is Sherwood Sax's personal design (Doug Sax's brother) which Doug has been using since 1966. The 'TML' standing for "The Mastering Lab". That's all I know about it, I don't really understand how every band could work as a shelf or what the concept is behind the unit but it does sound bloody good & clean!

Hopefully Sunny can fill us in a little more about the TML  shelf EQ concept when he is not so busy.

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

cerberus

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

shelving filters only resonate in one place. perhaps thus the design is inherently more "transparent" than a bell? if only it could be harnessed as well;  we are generally more familiar handling the side lobes of bell filters.  most of my software eqs can do shelves galore..lneq has 2 or 3 shelf models  that can be selected for most of the bands. of course i may need to learn how to work with eq all over again, but this could be a new avenue towards improving my sonics without needing to buy more gear...thanks sunny, matt and ged!

jeff dinces

Ged Leitch

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2006, 06:54:46 AM »

Matt_G wrote on Sat, 15 July 2006 02:22

Ged Leitch wrote on Sat, 15 July 2006 03:25

cheers,
Ged.

Hey Ged, I know I'm not Sunny but we have been PM'ing outside the threads & he has filled me in a little bit more. I think he listed the E.A.R. EQ wrongly as I can't see a EAR 845 model. I think he means the EAR 825 which is a passive hand made valve design. You can check it out at mercenary audio or vintage king.

As for the TML shelf EQ, it is Sherwood Sax's personal design (Doug Sax's brother) which Doug has been using since 1966. The 'TML' standing for "The Mastering Lab". That's all I know about it, I don't really understand how every band could work as a shelf or what the concept is behind the unit but it does sound bloody good & clean!

Hopefully Sunny can fill us in a little more about the TML  shelf EQ concept when he is not so busy.

Matt

Thanks Matt, yes, it does sound bloody good! Very Happy

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.