R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMPV is Closed - Post Discussion & Comments Here  (Read 16971 times)

cerberus

Re: WUMPV is Closed - Post Discussion & Comments Here
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2006, 02:17:53 AM »

when people threaten to leave wump as norbert did in recent days...and pingu did yesterday, and matt has done today:  please recall that we have had people actually leave, we know who they are; they are important to us too.

now if ged wants to number the next wump...i hate the idea but i will still play. it never goes exactly the way any of us want it.

norbert you appear to prioritize your individuality over all else. i feel you make controversial statements to amuse yourself with the reactions, you don't appear to be interested in learning, you say you "like to laugh all day" but that is not what most of us are here for.  when a few of us suggested that cans did not provide the correct stereo imaging for mastering: you hijacked the conversation to be about which headphones you should buy.  that is why i say you are not here to learn in quite the same way as the rest of us. you "forget" your signal chain every time; and it devalues your contributions for me since that is a very basic guideline which we all agreed to follow.

if you think i am arrogant (apologies for the tone then...)  perhaps you didn't read the posts where i proposed compromises intended to include everyone. but it's already been laid out that the guidelines will be followed here. perhaps it would be important to start with the basics. repeated abuses should perhaps not be tolerated.

proposal: "forgetting" one's own signal chain is intolerable here. do i hear any "nays" or does it pass consensus?   thank you.

jeff dinces

Pingu

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:54 AM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 14:17

when people threaten to leave wump as norbert did in recent days...and pingu did yesterday,

Lets get one thing straight.

Matts threatening to leave if HIS idea of the pre selected RMS level
WUMP does not proceed.

I said i will take no such part in a WUMP that demands a pre selected real world crushed rms level master. I didnt say altogether.

Dont throw me in the same boat please.
Im not interested in learning how to cut loud "clean masters"
at all, and never will be.

Matts going to leave because he isnt getting his own way.

Quote:

forgetting" one's own signal chain is intolerable here. do i hear any "nays" or does it pass consensus? thank you.

I agree.

I have to make more of an effort on my comments.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

NoWo

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2006, 03:58:40 AM »

Jeff,

AFAIK I was searching for understanding which you did not.
I did not post my chain because I had the impression that nobody would be interested in it anyway, btw some other guys also left out the technical part.
I do not put my person upfront, it is you who is doing this.

I find the tone hear no longer acceptable. I am out, definitely.

Norbert

----------------------------------
P.S.: As Brad has interfered some of the original postings are changed so I decided to delete my included answer to Pingu completely.

bblackwood

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2006, 07:03:37 AM »

Personal attack(s) removed.

Are we accomplishing anything with this thread or just slinging mud?

It's clear that from here on out I'm going to have to be more involved in the planning and execution of WUMP...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ged Leitch

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2006, 08:04:27 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 12:03

It's clear that from here on out I'm going to have to be more involved in the planning and execution of WUMP...

Fair enough Brad,

i'm fed up with the constant bickering too,

it's getting in the way of the REAL reason WUMP is for...

I.E. learning how to get better...
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

cerberus

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2006, 09:59:24 AM »

hi ged;  good to have you back.

hi brad; it must suck for a moderator to have delete a post...i saw the offense, but i didn't "see" it.  sorry; i will take that as a lesson too.

jeff dinces

bblackwood

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2006, 10:05:33 AM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 08:59

hi brad; it must suck for a moderator to have delete a post...

It does, and I avoid it like the plague. But when a member crosses the line and makes it personal, I have no choice. I will not let this forum turn into what most other forums are...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

chrisj

« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2006, 10:22:14 AM »

Well, let's just keep it moving and I'll be perfectly happy. I've learned a huge amount from WUMP thus far so i'm ahead of the game Wink

UnderTow

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »

Ok, I've had it. I quit!  Rolling Eyes

Well not really but I was feeling left out and I wanted to have my little temper tantrum too. Smile

Seriously though, I am fine with whatever the majority decides. I have no problem with a "fixed RMS" WUMP and if not, I'll keep level matching the different versions when auditioning.

When I do my version, I always level match the output to the original file so I can A/B what I am doing. My reasoning is that I want the mastered version to sound BETTER than the original. The only way to be sure about that is to level match with the original. Then I can just look at the output level and know how many dB extra I have compared the original.

Frankly, as far as I am concerned, keep things simple. It seems the only reason why people want all these extra complications in the process is because they feel their version isn't being judged fairly. Either because it is softer, or louder or had a different  goal or whatever.

Can't we just participate with whatever personal goals we all have as long as the common goal is to learn? If someone judges your version to be too soft, decide if this was your goal or not. If it was, just smile. If it wasn't try and find out how to improve things. If your version is judged too loud, decide wether this was your goal or not. If it was, just smile and be happy you can achieve the levels you want. If not, see if any feedback can help you improve things. Etc etc

We are all adults afterall. Smile

I'm a bit swamped now but I still intend to give feedback on all the versions for the last WUMP.

Alistair

Pingu

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2006, 11:51:35 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 19:03

Whats the proper etiquette for notifying someone that they are being
a total dick.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

bblackwood

« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2006, 12:08:31 PM »

Pingu wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 10:51

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 19:03

Whats the proper etiquette for notifying someone that they are being
a total dick.

It's called a 'private message'. If you haven't done so, you may want to read over the forum rules that are listed in a permanent announcement at the top of my forum.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

thp1

« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2006, 03:13:34 AM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 00:12

<edit:  i've edited this post because it appeared to be a personal attack. the action is completely voluntary. i wish to apologize to everyone.>

jeff dinces

thank you. I hope matt will see that.

cerberus

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2006, 04:45:44 AM »

yes, but matt and i have more interesting things to discuss. wump is a game. if someone breaks the rules, it doesn't matter whether the referee (or anyone) saw it or not.   after the game ends we can respect each other for playing hard, but there is no point to continue opposing one another.

jeff dinces
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.