R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration -- An attempt at K- implementation  (Read 2059 times)

-phile-

Monitor Calibration -- An attempt at K- implementation
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:33:29 PM »

Hi guys,

I would really like your opinion on whether I am on the right track or not. I am trying to calibrate my setup to the K-system, but I am not sure if I am doing things right. SO this is my setup: G5 running Logic Pro 7.2, Metric Halo ULN-2 interface, Monster power monitors cables, monitoring Dynaudio BM15A. Distance between speakers is 1.2m and distance to mix position is 1.6m(from center of woofer to head position). Measuring: Galaxy CM130 SPL meter. I have been running by ear for a long time now and have been meaning to implement some sort of calibration and finally got around to doing it seriously. Before I explain what I did -- I produce electronic music (idm, breakbeat, dnb) but also hiphop from time to time and also helping friend's indy band with mixing or "psudo-pre-mastering" on demos. I really do care about the quality of what comes out -- I am really opposed to the whole "loudness race" and am trying to stay away,.... So here is what I did: I run test oscillator in Logic -- -20dbFS Pink noise, the levels on the MIO console and the Logic mixer are at -0dbFS. Then one monitor @~1m , with the Galaxy meter set to: slow, c; and made sure that the output from the system was at ~83db SPL, the way I did that was by adjusting the monitoring potentiometer on the front of the MIO. Made sure the same level is coming out of the second monitor, and then calibrated iTunes (used a 24bit pink noise wave from digidomain's website [thank you BK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the site has proven invaluable over the years Smile ], and adjusted the level of iTunes itself). I usually listen to music through iTunes (I realize there is quite the difference in the output from Logic to iTunes -- huge as far as I can hear it, but importing every track to Logic is a real pain the butt). Another thing I think I should mention is that I don't do internal bouncing in Logic but rather analogue capture of the MIO's converters with a Masterlink, and then work on the 24bit file..... Destination -- most of the time is web/cd however, the actual masters are all hi-res, for cd or digital/dvd playback...

Am I doing this correct and should I "tie" (meaning shoot for when mixing) myself down to K-20 or should I go for K-14.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this... and special thanks if you do decide to reply.

Bob Olhsson

Re: Monitor Calibration -- An attempt at K- implementation
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:25:16 PM »

I would high-pass the pink noise around 400 HZ. and match the RMS and SPL at that level as a reference. For mixing material that is not going to be played at any defined level, it's extremely important to make sure your balances hold up at all listening levels from a whisper to rude.

A calibrated monitor is a valuable tool, especially for mastering, but mixing at only one playback level is a real recipe for disaster.

-phile-

Re: Monitor Calibration -- An attempt at K- implementation
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:52:27 PM »

That was exactly my concern -- different listening levels. I will definitely try this. I always check mixes on different levels, the calibration was really for post- purposes and being able to return to that calibrated level easily.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, I really appreciate it.

This is a pic of the setup (it's not much but it serves my purposes):
http://phile.us/Images/DSCN1704.jpg

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.