R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mixing out of the box and back via aggregate audio device - glitch  (Read 5728 times)

grezendes

• Real Full Name: George Rezendes

Hi, newbie poster here ; thanks in advance for your thoughts, opinions and assistance and my apologies for the length - I tried to make it as concise as possible.
I'm searching for a solution to the following problem and have not found a definitive answer yet anywhere on the web or any forum post.
I am determined to mix from logic through my desk with all the outboard gear I prefer to use.
I would also like to mix back to that same logic session. Since 14 channels of d/a for mixing is enough for my purpose, i decided to purchase 2 8-channel a/d/a boxes, link them as an aggregate audio device (AAD) and connect them to my mac pro (intel dual quad core w/ 16gig ram) via firewire. I planned on using channels 15/16 to both send the mix back to Logic and also to return the  ' printed '  mix to the desk for end of the line monitoring.
 I am in fact set up like this right now (for the past 6 months) and when it works it is fantastic. The trouble is there is a glitch that appears very irregularly yet all  too often - the audio on the second box starts sounding like static - I've been calling it zipper noise.
 The first company I tried working with (major convertor maker)  immediately decided to stop supporting the AAD in 2x sample rates so I sold the boxes and bought another 2 from a different well known company. These folks have been incredible to work with (writing me custom drivers, spending hours on the phone configuring my system , reading my system logs and kernal logs after glitching etc.) but have not yet solved the problem.
 This quote from them the other day -

Hi George,
Hope you had a nice weekend. 
It's looking like the Mac OS X aggregate device is not stable enough to support reliable box aggregation at 2x sample rates, at least on the current version of the OS.   We unfortunately do not have a solution at this time that would continue to allow you to use a DAW like Logic.  Again, our goal is to have a solution that works around the need for the aggregate device, but there is no timeline for it at the moment.

So, I found yet another 'name brand' company with a 16 channel a/d/a and a PCIe card option.
 Their tech support ( very patient and informative on the phone) assured me it would work as per my set up since no need for an ADD. Before I spend another load of dough could anyone verify that this will work or tell me if am I just trying to do the unreasonable?
How do others accomplish this work flow and with what set-up?
Cheers, George the baffled !?

grezendes

Re: mixing out of the box and back via aggregate audio device - glitch
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »

wow - I'm surprised I received no feedback on my post!
I decided to purchase a Lynx Aurora16 with he PCIe card.
If anyones interested in how it works let me know.
George.

chucklesmcfarland

• Real Full Name: Michael McBane
  • Makin' noise
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 04:39:13 AM »

Hi George,

Thanks for sharing this.
I am going to be setting up a similar hybrid setup so this is good to know.
Can you tell me what were the other devices you tried? (You can PM me if you don't want to publicly say).
From what I have seen, OTB mixing is not very popular. :)

Cheers

grezendes

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »

Hi, I first set up an aggregate audio device with the Metric Halo 2882's.
 They are great boxes with features I wish I still had. The company is great to work with and plans on revamping the boxes to work together without the need for an AAD. If / when that is the case I would highly recommend them. Meanwhile, the Lynx is superb. Not a glitch yet mixing out of the box and back into the same Logic session.
 And with the PCIe card latency is a non-issue so far - I've not had to do any hardware monitoring even for vocal overdubs - it's FAST!
Best and good luck, George
BTW - what is "PM"?

Jim Williams

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »

From what I have seen, OTB mixing is not very popular. :)
Cheers

Oh, contraire! Analog console mixing is very popular and growing. Many frustrated DAW users are finding this out everyday, it's better than out of the computer. It sounds like music again instead of all that insect sounding stuff. The other benefit is all your plugs have real plugs on them too. Nothin' like the REAL thing, baby!

chucklesmcfarland

• Real Full Name: Michael McBane
  • Makin' noise
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:21:54 AM »

Thanks for the update George.
PM=private message

Jim, I agree totally!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 17 queries.