R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help backing up ADATs  (Read 2781 times)

dogbone

need help backing up ADATs
« on: July 04, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »

hi -- I can't find any local studios that have the gear to back up an old 24-track project for me. All I need is someone to load three ADAT machines and upload the sessions into a computer and save to SD files or whatever. Simply a "press record and walk away" proposition. I need to remix three of the tunes asap; so if anyone can point me to a studio, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm in central Virginia, but will send via FedX if I need be.

TIA,

Michael

Jeff Gazdacko

Re: need help backing up ADATs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »

If you can't find a studio nearby... all you need is an 8 channel computer audio interface with some sort of sync capabilities (I know a digidesign 002/002rack will work), a single ADAT deck, and something to sync the deck and the audio interface together.  For syncing, an Alesis BRC (big remote control) or a MOTU midi timepiece AV will work.  I've seen a couple of the midi timepeice's for sale locally for $100-$125.

I've dumped multiple tapes from multitrack sessions into protools LE with a 002rack, an ADAT deck, and a BRC.

Maybe you could find someone localy with all of the equipment nessesary? Or a rental company you could rent a BRC and an ADAT deck from?

-Jeff

CWHumphrey

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 07:45:41 PM »

Try Matt Angus at Atomic Productions in Clinton, NJ, 908-735-4220.

Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

dogbone

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »

Thank you gentlemen.  I'll check into both options. I do have one ADAT deck and a BRC, but I was somewhat baffled by the notion of synching all the tracks. Maybe if I could rent an audio interface ...

CWHumphrey

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 03:20:42 AM »

dogbone wrote on Wed, 05 July 2006 03:59

Thank you gentlemen.  I'll check into both options. I do have one ADAT deck and a BRC, but I was somewhat baffled by the notion of synching all the tracks. Maybe if I could rent an audio interface ...

Since you have a BRC, you can either sync it via timecode or MIDI to whatever destination device you're using.
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

Jeff Gazdacko

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »

dogbone wrote on Tue, 04 July 2006 22:59

If I were you I'd call around to a couple local studios and see if they're familiar with syncing to midi or SMPTE.  It's really not that difficult.  If any of the studios nearby have protools,  digidesign's DUC has some threads on syncing protools to a BRC via midi on a 002/002r (protools LE) or via a sync i/o into an HD system.  It might be easier to find a studio willing to do the transfer with your BRC and ADAT deck than it would be to rent an audio interface and deal with installing drivers and everything...

-Jeff

floodstage

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:50:48 PM »

e-mail John at the Spot Studio.
Not in Virginia but he does have 3 ADAT's in there that aren't very busy at the moment!

thespotstudio@aol.com
http://www.thespotstudio.com/

I'd offer to help but I dumped off 2 out of 3 of my ADAT's.  
It's much more effective to dump them all at once.
(1/3 the time and 1/10th the hassle of 1 at a time)

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 10:05:13 AM »

floodstage wrote on Wed, 05 July 2006 23:50

e-mail John at the Spot Studio.
Not in Virginia but he does have 3 ADAT's in there that aren't very busy at the moment!

thespotstudio@aol.com
http://www.thespotstudio.com/

I'd offer to help but I dumped off 2 out of 3 of my ADAT's.  
It's much more effective to dump them all at once.
(1/3 the time and 1/10th the hassle of 1 at a time)

I'd just punch in a short 200ms or so 1k sine tone at the same spot on each ADAT tapes pre-roll dead air section, for example 1 or 2 seconds before the first audio starts. Transfer the tracks 8 at a time to your DAW and use the sine tones first sample showing amplitude on each track, to align the 24 tracks. You can also do this at the end of the tracks if you have no pre-roll to mess with and deduct the sample differences between the tracks to time slip them. You'll only need the tone on one track of each tape. No midi or smpte needed for that, only one ADAT recorder will do, no need to buy anything new and your tracks will be accurately aligned to within one sample. If you don't have a tone generator, a simple click track single click will work or anything that has a sharp amplitude at the attack, so you can zoom in and count the sample differences between each 8 track transfer, than timeslip the two latest tracks back to the start of the 8 tracks with the shortest pre-roll time. It's harder to explain it than it is to actually do it.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------