R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Group mixing similar to WOMP  (Read 10533 times)

Pingu

Re: Group mixing similar to WOMP
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2006, 06:28:44 AM »

Are we still doin this guys.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

floodstage

cerberus

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2006, 06:39:11 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 11 July 2006 21:23

i want all mp3's posted at 192kb/s

that way, we're all listening to the same level of suckage, and the file sizes aren't too large.
suckage?   you are asking for mastering; it is kind of insulting to suggest that my mastering would suck the same as anyone elses, probably it sucks more.

should i choose a dither at random to make this fair? or..? ...no don't say it please....now i can spend time testing mp3 codecs... might as well just stick hot needles in my ear holes.

Fibes wrote on Fri, 14 July 2006 10:17

the "status bar above" on the yousendit send page was a bit unnerving since there was no status bar just "we are sending your file-stand by."
i have that problem with safari: the transfers work, but no progress bars.  try firefox.
Fibes wrote on Tue, 11 July 2006 15:24

[If the files are in fact in 16/48 that is how they will be delivered. If they are in 24/48, 16/44, 24/44 ditto. I'm not down or upsampling for the sake of it.

...that seems reasonable.

jeff dinces

rankus

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 08:29:29 PM »

What really sucks is that I'm on dial up... can't participate  Crying or Very Sad
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »

sorry to the dial up guys, i thought about doing some CD-roms for mailing out, but to be totally honest, i just don't have the time right now to organize it.

i wanted this thing to happen very quickly, sorta like getting a call to do a single and the DVD shows up the next day and the label wants it yesterday.

this happens to me more then i ever expected.

about the mp3s.  i post 192 mp3s of every mix i do for the client to reference and approve/make recalls from.  i haven't had a single problem with them yet, and i haven't had any one complain that is sounded "mastered".

this is the highest bit rate mp3 i can accept that doesn't chew up tons of server space.

even with high speed internet, i prefer to not have my clients waiting 10 minutes to hear a mix.......

consider me your client and i'm asking for 192 mp3s.

i want all the mixes submitted in the same format so we are all listening to the same exact thing.

just be happy i'm not asking for level matching.........

cerberus

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2006, 09:59:19 PM »

ok j.  i understand... would you consider a rule prohibiting the use of peak limiters on the master fader? do you see how that would make it easier to hear the actual mixing?  

jeff dinces

bblackwood

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2006, 12:17:14 AM »

Why not just submit the mix as you normally would?

Or is this a competition?

If it's like WOMP/WUMP, it's about learning...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

cerberus

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2006, 03:23:55 AM »

hi brad;

mp3 codecs are the mixing surprise i wasn't ready for here.
kinda frustrating at this juncture...

rankus:

i didn't know so many were on dialup...

jeff dinces

rankus

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2006, 01:48:13 PM »

I ended up downloading the MP3 version of Garrets track(s)  just so I could "listen along"... But they don't sound half bad and it's a good song, so I found myself inspired and mixing last night!  I will restrict myself to a few hours total though cuz theres no real point in doing a wonderful mix of MP3 tracks...

Let me get one thing straight: are we sposed to master or not?  I was going master mine, but thought I had better get the rules clear. (probably posted somewhere, but I am really pressed for time)

PS:  I hope we can do more of this.  It's a lot of fun!

PPS: I also don't have the server space to post my mix.... can anyone spare a dime?

It might be sweet if one person could host/post all the mixes so that they could all be posted at once in one post?  IE We all send our track to one person that then posts them all  once a deadline for submissions has passed.  
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

maxim

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »

rick wrote:

" I also don't have the server space to post my mix.... can anyone spare a dime?"

i just used myspace

garret

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2006, 09:50:45 PM »

maxim wrote on Sat, 22 July 2006 21:13

" I also don't have the server space to post my mix.... can anyone spare a dime?"

I can host stuff for folks... just mail it to my gmail account... garretg at gmail DOT com.   Use www.yousendit.com if you need, to get it to me.

Dialup folks, thanks for giving it a shot with the mp3s.. it really isn't a good idea, but I hated leaving y'all out.   I just checked the files to get a sense of how bad the mp3 versions are.. if you invert phase and add them to the originals, the peak is around -30db.   I can understand not wanting to invest much time in mixing from mashed source files.\

In the future, sending out cds might be a good way to go... or just making a bit torrent of the RAR archive.   Then you can leave your modem on for a few days and it'll auto-resume nicely.

Looking forward to hearing, and discussing, the mixes..

-G
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

j.hall

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2006, 05:14:29 PM »

no mysapce!!!!!!!

they re-compress your mp3 into a giant steaming pile of crap.

el duderino

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2006, 10:04:25 AM »

well i put up a myspace link on the other thread. I'll email it to garret and perhaps he can host it for a bit.

Much appreciated if you can. If you can't, so it goes.

EDIT---already changed. garret put it up 5 min after i sent it. thanks again man!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.