R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MacBook Pro and Samplitude (first impressions) - also Parallels  (Read 23857 times)

bblackwood

Re: MacBook Pro and Samplitude (first impressions) - also Parallels
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 02:14:20 PM »

MT Groove wrote on Sat, 30 December 2006 12:22

Brad, how much RAM do you have in your iMac?

2GB.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ivo

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »

Just thinking: what kind of reasonable advantage it would have running Samplitude on Mac instead of PC ?
Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
www.savita.cz

bblackwood

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 04:00:34 PM »

Ivo wrote on Mon, 01 January 2007 13:50

Just thinking: what kind of reasonable advantage it would have running Samplitude on Mac instead of PC ?

For me, it would be the ability to run only Sequoia in XP while currently running any and everything else I wish to run in OSX.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

hexfix93

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 04:57:28 PM »

i've got a macbook, and i run logic and love it, but i would love to run sonar 6 and saw in parallels. just for summing. cause logics audio engine is the pits for summing.

now i find working in cubase or logic or sonar, and then exporting the final wavs into saw and mixing in saw gets me the best sounding mixes, but working in saw alone is a joke. no way. i dont like it for that. just for mixing and summing..

brett

Re: MacBook Pro and Samplitude (first impressions)
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 06:41:01 PM »

rondr wrote on Sun, 02 July 2006 06:32

Anyone here using an Apogee Rosetta 200 with the optional firewire card?  Both the Mac Book Pro and the Mac Mini

I am upgrading from the apogee x-digi-mix card on my g4 protools mix system. I sent apogee a message to find out how well the x-firewire card was working with Logic on OSX 10.4 and macintel.

They told me that the firewire card has latency issues that they have yet to solve on OSX 10.4. The firewire option is only currently supported on 10.3.9 as of early december when I sent tech support the question. It will work on 10.4 but not well.

Check there tech notes for an update as this was over a month ago and they were working in it. I am holding off for a symphony card. I would like to see a cardbus interface from apogee.

Regards,
Brett  

bblackwood

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »

I spoke with a guy who has gotten his audio software running via an M-Audio USB device, so I need to pick one up and bring home my dongle (hey now) to see if I can get it working.

In all honesty, it would take a lot of time banging on it before I brought it into the studio, so at this point, I'm just seeing if it works at all...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Andy Krehm

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 01 January 2007 16:00

Ivo wrote on Mon, 01 January 2007 13:50

For me, it would be the ability to run only Sequoia in XP while currently running any and everything else I wish to run in OSX.

As I am currently working in OSX for mastering, I'd love to get a new Mac and try Sequoia!

I'm 98% happy with my current setup but there are a couple of things I would like to try that are just too cumbersome to in my current DAW and I think Sequoia would do the trick. But I'm not ready to give up on Mac so please keep us posted!

bblackwood

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 07:15:44 AM »

An update...

While I was really excited about potentially using Sequoia under Parallels - even found some guys who had figured out a way to get audio in and out via the firewire ports - ultimately Parallels was unstable enough that I never even tried it. In fact, while it worked fine most of the time, the instabilities that occurred frustrated me to the point that I un-installed it and went back to Boot Camp for the kid's games.

Granted, I wasn't going to use it in the mastering room right away - some one else can be that guinea pig - I was just curious to see how far off we are. And I don't think it's that far off, but it's not happening now...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

mcsnare

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »

Thanks for the update, Brad. I too have been curious. Maybe the maturing of the software time line will coincide with a dropping of hardware prices.....
Dave

MT Groove

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »

I recently attempted to run Samplitude in Parallels again after upgrading to 1.5GB of RAM on my Macbook Pro.  No luck.  It seems Parallels won't be stable enough to run any sort of audio applications.  For regular office applications it's ok.  

So until Parallels make any major improvements, I will rest the idea of running Samplitude on it.  As long as I can run Samp in Bootcamp, I'm satisfied with that for now.  

brett

Re: MacBook Pro and Samplitude (first impressions)
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 03:40:54 AM »

rondr wrote on Sun, 02 July 2006 06:32

Anyone here using an Apogee Rosetta 200 with the optional firewire card?  

As of december, last I checked with appogee techs on compatibility for the x-firewire card, was they could not get low-latency stable on the Macintels as of yet. that may have changed as they were workiing on getting firemix to work properly. Also, it supports ASIO on pc but you should e-mail them to see if it will work on a macintel on windows. also check to see if firemix is available on windows. they respond very quickly and are very honest about these things.

JimboJ

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 01:06:54 AM »

MT Groove, How did you get Samplitude to recognize the Dongle working out of Parallels Desktop? I get an error message saying its in use by another program. Thanks.

-- James

brett

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 01:52:16 AM »

JimboJ wrote on Fri, 16 February 2007 06:06

MT Groove, How did you get Samplitude to recognize the Dongle working out of Parallels Desktop? I get an error message saying its in use by another program. Thanks.

-- James

does parralells let you use your mac drivers. I will be using appogee symphony card and it has no windows drivers.

That is the trick with a boot camp machine. you have to have both windows and osx drivers.

MT Groove

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 02:01:15 AM »

JimboJ wrote on Fri, 16 February 2007 00:06

-- James

Not sure how it recognized it, but it did for a few times and I was aple to open Samplitude.  Now it just crashes when I tries to open Samp.  

jdg

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2007, 08:30:26 PM »

just updating this thread.
latest version of parallels 3.x, and samp 9, not stable.

samp locks up often. Sad

booooootcamp is still the winner for samp.

wavelab tho, works fine. go figure
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.