R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating music for new playback mediums...  (Read 823 times)

Peter

Creating music for new playback mediums...
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:45:48 AM »

Should we start to think of mixing for future mediums and their dynamic capabilities NOW? I'm a young musician.engineer.producer, but have a pretty good knowledge of sonics and of quality with music playback. Do others feel that DVD audio has the same capabilities to transfer the listener to the places a good vinyl disc on a class A turntable with Blackbird cart does?
My gut tells me there is real potential there with this. Something about listening to even a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th gen master tape transporting me places no computer could.

DVD though, the capabilities seems very appealing.

Confusing, with all the new formats....

DVD audio, Blu-ray, Blu-ray sound, and the old adage of DVD w/ ambisonics????

How are you professionals tackling these efforts?

Who is tackling these new technologies and how are you utilizing them?

Its so easy to get bogged down in techno babble but CDs are more than dead as a musically playback medium,  and people WILL get tired of mp3 wanting more out of music. Give it a couple of years....

Curious, lets discuss..

maxim

Re: Creating music for new playback mediums...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 03:36:36 AM »

i think people will listen through whatever medium they find in their loungeroom

if it's a dvd player, then it's pretty easy to pop in a disc and listen

if the player can read cd's, great; dvd's, fine; mp3's, sure; aac, whatever

what i doubt is that the format will change significantly, except for the continuing shift towards anthologies, podcast style (the new radio)

eg, i'm not sure that adding a visual layer makes any difference to the listener, perhaps, because the eyes take over as the primary senses and it becomes a film rather than a record

otoh, did the concept of "listening" to music even exist before the wireless

is it the equivalent of listening to the women sing while they work?

CHANCE

Re: Creating music for new playback mediums...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 08:35:33 AM »

I mostly do jingles for radio/tv, but record for a couple labels too. The last few projects, have been recorded on audio and video. While we shoot the video, the audio is recorded on 24 tr. The 2 are sync'd via smpte. The audio is then sweetened, repaired (klinkers), overdubed, and mixed, then sync'd back to the video. The end product can then be played in a conventional CD player, watched on a computer or a DVD player. For the life of me I never bothered to find out how, when mastered, how they do this because red book is 44.1 and DVD is 48. I am thinking perhaps it is a video CD.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.