R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 channel mic pres  (Read 10880 times)

Die BREMSSPUR

Re: 2 channel mic pres
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 04:04:34 PM »

nirguni wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 13:35

Korean Haiku?
I would like to c one

All the live music
I want to hear
Only Japan
Not here
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Fletcher

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 10:23:18 AM »

In many regards I agree with Terry... but only if you're keeping your track count to something reasonable and the unit you choose is somewhat clear sounding.  In other words, 24 tracks of something like the Chandler "Germanium" will end up with a pretty cloudy haze on it [which might help if you're recording to Pro-sTools... but if you're storing your audio in a system that actually stores audio with a better degree of clarity and definition then it may very well be an impediment].

I grew up in the days when the mic pres on the console were the mic pres for the record... before they plethora of options became available.

I'm in like the generation one or two behind Mr. Manning's generation... we had just started to explore outside options when I was coming up... it wasn't a "staple" like it is today.

I dare say that the "console" pre-amps were a hell of a lot better then than they are now so it wasn't an unreasonable situation... and we also kept the track count way lower.  I dare say that even with all the bouncing and other mayhem during the "golden era" of multi-track recording you were still talking about fewer than 20 recorded tracks... and even with all the bouncing that occured on things like 1" 4-track machines, with that format there was really minimal fidelity loss in comparison to doing bounces on things like 2" 24trk decks.

As the storage technology became cheaper and more expansive I have to say that the function began to outweigh the form... no longer were you restricted to 4 or 8 or 16 or 24 or 46 (2 for timecode) tracks... but the audio quality between each of those formats took a hit as the potential track count expanded.

In the early 80's you had things like the MCI 600 series desk come onto the market... which had "competent" sounding pre's but they weren't "Trident" or "API" or "Neev" pre's by any stretch of the imagination.  They were good on percussive sounds but pretty scratchy for legato sounds... which led the studio where I worked to purchase a "Jensen Twin Servo" mic pre that at the time was built by "Boulder Electronics" [a very similar machine has been under manufacture by Mr. John Hardy for probably the last 20 or so years].

The "Boulder" pre, to this day, is probably one the five or six best sounding events I have ever experienced.  It's way up there with things like the DW Fearn and the Martech MSS-10.  I could definitely see making a 24+ track recording using nothing but a "Hardy Twin Servo" or a "Fearn VT-2" or a slew of "Martech MSS-10"s because they are so clear, open, opulent, and lovely... because you could stack a bazillion tracks through them that would all retain the size and depth of the original intention of the recording... but then you still have the limiting factor of A/D and D/A conversion processes that muddy the water as well.

There are pre-amps on the market that have different tones/textures available from them that can indeed add [or at least in my opinion can add... in some cases I can also see great potential for them to detract!!] to the overall texture of tone and separation or act as a congealing agent to give the product the life and depth it deserves... and then we'll run it through 6 million layers of compression, an SSL desk or mix in the box in Pro-sTools with a bazillion plug ins and turn it into the 2 dimensional crap I keep hearing on the radio... so in the end, yeah, you're probably right... but in my world [where I get to listen to music BEFORE it gets trampled by "the biznezz"], it's really nice to have the various levels of textures available to shape the overall texture of the audio to really compliment the music.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 11:15:05 PM »

In many regards I agree with Fletcher...

If you are going to use only (or mostly) one mic pre (whether console or several/many externals), then it had better be a good one.

And that is the whole point.

Dark Side Of The Moon was done with "all" EMI.
As were almost all Beatles records.

Many many other great (artistically and sonically) recordings were done with "just one preamp."

But in almost ALL of those cases, it was one GREAT preamp.

Almost always right inside a GREAT console.

Ditto on the Much Crap Inside pre's.

I think it was the MCI/Harrison/other junk preamps that inspired the "outboard craze;" more so than any SSL.

theo mack

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »

Things to audition:

Chandler TG
Potico
John Hardy
Great River NV
Pacifica
Tab Funkwerk

They are all nice, You will need to choose which one is right for your place.

I'm a huge John Hardy fan, Great bang for buck. Expandable.
Solid as a rock. Big sounding but not too much personality.
theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.

Bryson

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 08:27:01 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 25 August 2006 20:15

I think it was the MCI/Harrison/other junk preamps that inspired the "outboard craze;" more so than any SSL.

And it really exploded when Mackie hit the scene.

John Hardy

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »

Quote:

....but not too much personality.

Normally I would be offended...

wavdoctor

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 07:20:27 AM »

Chris L wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 18:15

Great River mp2-nv is great.  Can find them used on message boards for $1700 to $1900.  Worth every penny.

But really it depends on what you're recording, too.

Agree, I use mine from bluegrass to metal...

hb
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

Tidewater

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 07:12:32 PM »

John Hardy wrote on Sat, 09 September 2006 22:06

Quote:

....but not too much personality.

Normally I would be offended...

Great pres.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

littlehat

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 12:46:29 AM »

smj wrote on Tue, 11 July 2006 14:48

One other unit that you might look into is the Daking Mic Pre IV... another 4 channels for less than $2k.  If you do a search, I believe JJ Blair posted some samples of a Daking Pre along with some other pieces.

Sean Meredith-Jones
http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

DAKING! As I understand it, these are updates of Trident A Range Pres. What I know for sure is that they whip a llama's ass with a belt! Huge sounding without grain or mud. The MP2NV is very similar sounding in that you get the old school muscle and gravitas without the "Haze".

Push the RED button!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.