R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP IV - Techniques + discussion...  (Read 10469 times)

Pingu

Re: WUMP IV - Techniques + discussion...
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 01:49:31 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 01:44

Pingu wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 18:28

Patrik T wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 01:23

ATOR wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 17:34

The transmodder didn't do it for me, I found it too complex and it didn't convince me soundwise.

The good thing with many of the Voxengo thingies is that if you WISH you could do something they allow you to do that. Hence many parameters. There's no room for compromises due to easy operation. Thanks god for that!

That's why they are complex, sometimes heavy on the CPU, underrated and maybe misunderstood.

Aleksey Vaneev is a genious.

Best regards
Patrik

I agree with you on that.

I feel personally that the transmodder would be more adequate and sonically superior than waves but the trans x wide takes me 3 mins to set well and at the moment i don't know where to start with the transmodder.
I'm going to have to experiment with it on past tracks.

Any tips on how to set it up?

Say you got a bass drum thats too impacting for example...

pick bandpass on the top analyzer>
and directly below pick TA 1>
click *link* on.>
Tune in on the freq using the bottom freq selector.>

go to the top part a adjust the attack to about 20ms.>

now use the range setting to *Decrease the impact* increase range to amplify it (But in this case you wont)

Release to around 100ms or higher.

Now all you got to do is adjust how wide the band is your reducing in impact.i.e bandwith control.

Scale i think of as ratio (but its not) so increase scale to increase the Softening of the bass drum (or range)
tune the sensitivity so thats its only acting on the kick most of the time.

Oh and hit *Overlap* to hear if you have low freq distorion, if you dont, there should be a simple beep in time with the kick.

You'll hear the beep distort if the time setting is too fast.

Hope that helps mate.

Thanks man.

Do you use it much?
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Ged Leitch

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 01:54:36 PM »

On certain *Home Studio* mixes its an absolute godsend man!

Sometimes the dudes just havent set up the right compression etc.
And things are a little *edgy* on the ear.

But be careful, its easy to overdo!

You can completely rob a song of all its energy by taking too much away.

But used delicatley, its super transparent!

Only used the demo but will prob purchase after i get R8 brain Pro.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Patrik T

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 01:54:36 PM »

Pingu wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 18:28

[Any tips on how to set it up?

No, the parameters are so many... Razz

Nah, seriously...a good starting point is to set it to some of the bandpass modes and press the "listen" button in order to figure out what parts of the mix you want the transmodder to "grip" and work with. Then disengage the listen mode and start tweaking.

Try manipulating one transient/frequency only to start with, in bandpass mode. Listen closely to what different envelopes, times, and all that other tweakable shit does. You need to recognize the sound of too much modding (which is when the transient alters too much in sound - into some kind of mellow snap). Also liten carefully to what happens around the modded frequency and all over the rest of the spectrum, since the wanted effect might change other things.

Good luck.

Basta Regurdos
Patrik

Pingu

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 02:02:32 PM »

Thanks mate.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

Patrik T

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 02:21:42 PM »

Ged Leitch wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 18:54

Most of the Voxengo things are very transparent and therefore in many cases very suitable for mastering. Even the warmifier or harmonic eq is very transparent in comparison to other "coloring" stuff like Waves renaissance, The Sonalksis essentials bundle and URS which in many scenarios just will grain up the mix too much with digital veil.

Gotta love Aleksey Vaneev for sailing his own route.

Busta Rhymards
Patrik

Pingu

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 02:37:50 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 02:21

Ged Leitch wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 18:54

Most of the Voxengo things are very transparent and therefore in many cases very suitable for mastering. Even the warmifier or harmonic eq is very transparent in comparison to other "coloring" stuff like Waves renaissance, The Sonalksis essentials bundle and URS which in many scenarios just will grain up the mix too much with digital veil.

Gotta love Aleksey Vaneev for sailing his own route.

Busta Rhymards
Patrik

Plus he doesnt charge like a wounded bull.

I love elephant.

zetterstroem

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »

back on topic: (btw imo all multiband sucks! Very Happy )

here's what i did:

i put the track in protools no gain.... just a tiny bit of waves lp lowband eq in normal mode (i think it was -2@379Hz)

then adat out to an rme adi-8 pro on internal clock

from that into a manley vari-mu compressing about 2dB with 4sec. release

massive passive.... some slight boost below 150Hz and some @4.7kHz..... that's it!

and then back into protools with only 1.3dB of limiting in the L2... (ARC off and 3mS release... 0.3dB out ceiling to prevent D/A distortion) no shaping etc.

finally i used peak to convert to 16bit using Pow-r type 1 dithering.... unfortunately i lost quite a bit of my sound in that process.... conversion really hurts.... maybe the next wump should be 24bit

my philosophy was to keep it as simple as possible.... true to the music... and not introduce digital artifacts as i think it turns (primarily) the top end into plastic.... and i also wanted to keep as much of the original dynamics.... we need that today....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Pingu

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 02:38

back on topic: (btw imo all multiband sucks! Very Happy )

I agree with you there but not on the voxengo stuff.

Somehow alexey has implemented the multiband crossovers with very very little damage.

ATOR

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:23 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 20:21

Somehow I'm not fond of the Voxengo sound. Last Voxengo plug I demoed was the Marquis compressor. Loads of knobs and settings but to me it feels as if it adds some graininess and the sound loses focus. I like the Sonalksis SV-315 way more.

I have this with more Voxengo plugins, I want to like them because they are cheap and have lots of settings and possibilities but after a while I end up not using them because something in their sound bothers me. I guess it's a taste thing since I seem to be the only one that's bothered by it.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

Patrik T

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 06:10:55 PM »

ATOR wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 22:52

Somehow I'm not fond of the Voxengo sound. Last Voxengo plug I demoed was the Marquis compressor. Loads of knobs and settings but to me it feels as if it adds some graininess and the sound loses focus. I like the Sonalksis SV-315 way more.

I have this with more Voxengo plugins, I want to like them because they are cheap and have lots of settings and possibilities but after a while I end up not using them because something in their sound bothers me. I guess it's a taste thing since I seem to be the only one that's bothered by it.

The Marquis is indeed a bit too grainy in the phasey setting, but can runned in clean mode as well. I never consider it for any mastering operations though.

It is a taste thing indeed. I get more bothered by other plugins and how they affect sound.

Best regards to ya!
Patrik

Ged Leitch

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 06:17:33 PM »

Y'know, sometimes...just sometimes the Marquis control *Force* set to 100% works really great,
but it depends on the mix!

A bit aggresive
but its a sound that i cant get with other plugin comps
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Pingu

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 08:37:14 PM »

Have you guys had any success with polysquasher for mastering.

Pingu

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 08:38:35 PM »

ATOR wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 05:52

Patrik T wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 20:21

I think i know what you mean.

Matt_G

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 12:44:47 AM »

Something of interest to some of you that are running Mac systems, I emailed Aleksey Vaneev about whether he was going to port the Voxengo plugs to MacOSX & he replied & said that it is definitely in the works. No time frame yet but it's going to happen, which will be a good thing. I've been keen to try out Elephant in particular.
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.