R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP IV Comments + Disscussion  (Read 8244 times)

zetterstroem

Re: WUMP IV Comments + Disscussion
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 00:36

cerberus wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 22:36

mr. zetter;

do you know how much dynamic range your master has?
not very much. and that's a fact.

jeff dinces
"fuck loudness" while in the other thread describing how the source goes through compression.

compression isn't only about loudness..... and btw the compression was 2dB with a ratio of 1:1.5..... and 1.3 dB of L2....... pretty gentle compared to.... well almost anything......

and no... the source dynamics weren't great.... much more reason to keep as much as possible....  Smile
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

cerberus

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 19:06

cerberus wrote on Thu, 22 June 2006 23:36

mr. zetter;

do you know how much dynamic range your master has?
not very much. and that's a fact.

jeff dinces

so your own measurements are wrong???  Rolling Eyes according to your measurements i have the lowest avarage rms while still hitting full code.... isn't that called dynamics??

it means that one sample hits full scale, not really a musical reference for me to make a judgement,.. the average minumim rms would seem to be more reflective of the noisefloor, which would be the low level "anchor" for me to discuss dynamic range, not the highest peak minus average rms, which only measures how much energy is in the signal, (assuming one sample will reach nearly full scale) but not how that energy is distributed over time or across the spectrum.

that one time in 1812 overture when the cannons go off is not my idea of dynamic range, i want to hear the full dynamic range of  the whole orchestra at the same time.

but one thing is clear i think...the live performance had more energy than the mix, so i think increasing the amount of energy in the signal was the only way to go.

my opinion is pretty radical...i don't expect to convince you, but please consider my different point of view as a possible alternative to what i see is a quagmire we have not solved the way you and others propose after many years of trying.

=====

when i said some people's masters sounded "authentic"... i meant like the classic recordings, such as made by legendary engineers such as rudy van gelder; which are mostly very noticibly compressed. i did not attempt that sound, i attempted to recover more live-feeling dynamics, and to imply a more contemporary recording, to appeal to a generation that may not have heard much big band, but not to misrepresent the genre to them.  for me, it would not sound like grandpa's record colliection, as good as that may be. (grandpa doesn't  buy many cds lately, not that i was trying to offend him into buying less...).

for those who said my bass was weak... are you really a fan of big band jazz? i know what you mean, but i felt a duty not to let the bass be too dominant out of respect for the [very traditional, imo] style of the arrangement.  

jeff dinces

zetterstroem

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2006, 04:39:44 AM »

cerberus wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 03:52

my opinion is pretty radical...i don't expect to convince you, but please consider my different point of view as a possible alternative to what i see is a quagmire we have not solved the way you and others propose after many years of trying.

i respect anyone who tries to do things differently....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Patrik T

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2006, 04:54:20 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Fri, 23 June 2006 00:10

compression isn't only about loudness..... and btw the compression was 2dB with a ratio of 1:1.5..... and 1.3 dB of L2....... pretty gentle compared to.... well almost anything......

and no... the source dynamics weren't great.... much more reason to keep as much as possible....  Smile

Cool.

Yes, comp is not necessarily about loudness.

But, with your former doomday-post here in mind, it is surprising that you did run it through a comp and the "finest jazz-tool on earth" - L2, instead of just eq it slightly (or not) and leave it there.

/Patrik

zetterstroem

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2006, 01:30:13 AM »

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

L2.... "the finest jazz tool on earth"  Very Happy  Very Happy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 19 queries.