R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP IV Comments + Disscussion  (Read 8245 times)

Matt_G

Re: WUMP IV Comments + Disscussion
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 11:31:44 AM »

UnderTow wrote on Mon, 19 June 2006 00:54

Matt, you are missing a few versions: UnderTow, TotalSonic (Steve Berson) and Zetterstroem.

Alistair

I just edited my previous post to include yours Alistair. I just got Zetters from the 'Massive' ftp server & I also missed Mike Bruce's submission, but I couldn't find TotalSonic's on the ftp server? I have OldSonic's but I'm guessing this is 2 different submissions?

I just realised that mine wasn't uploaded to the ftp server either & some of you may have missed that one, so I uploaded it just now. Otherwise the 'You Send It' link should still be active.

I'll have to review the submissions I've missed in the morning as it's getting late here & I need to sleep! Smile

ChrisJ - glad you picked it up now too, hope you sort it out soon.

Cheers,

Matt

Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 11:33:19 AM »

chrisj wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 10:12

Quote:

There is a massive phase cancellation scoop at around 8kHz which totally screws with the mix. This sounds like something is wrong & not intentional (I hope?).

Of course not. New code.... s**t. Yeah, it shows up hugely in a sonogram too, bingo. Weeellll, looks like I have my to do list for the day... finding out what the hell put that notch there.

Chris, do you not carefully listen to your custom software before using it? I'm not being  a jerk here, just making a suggestion - but if you aren't hearing this stuff in your room, perhaps working on your monitoring/environment should take precedence...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Patrik T

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 11:41:12 AM »

Matt_G wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 15:42

Patrik - Nice man! I like the stereo enhancement very natural & open sounding, bringing out the sound of the ambience & room more. The highs were nicely detailed. My only comment on improving it further would be to add a touch more presence to the mids in the centre, so the snare snaps a bit more & perhaps a small duck in the lower mids again on the centre. But overall nice work, I was surprised to see your level on this one, considering your other submissions are usually so conservative. Yours was the 6th loudest, but I don't think it suffered too much to my ears.

Gosh, am I glad you hear what I drove for!  Smile  Your points are noted (and I certianly know why they are addressed - you'll see why in my technique presentation). Regarding the loudness, I found it to for once to be useful as I wanted to position the listener closer to the stage.

The original had a soundscape like as if the listener was positioned above the ensemble, like on a balcony. Driving things a bit hot (in the end) counterforced this further and lowered the position of the listener to having the players more upfront. The workflow before that was also to bring things forward, rather than maintaining the unbalance that was present in the original (where the panned keys were a little misplaced with the rest of the things located more in the "ambience area".

Best regards
Patrik

UnderTow

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 11:43:29 AM »

Matt_G wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 16:31

I just edited my previous post to include yours Alistair. I just got Zetters from the 'Massive' ftp server & I also missed Mike Bruce's submission, but I couldn't find TotalSonic's on the ftp server? I have OldSonic's but I'm guessing this is 2 different submissions?

Thanks for the review! I am uploading TotalSonic's version to the FTP as we speak. (wump4_sb.wav). I'll post when it is up.

Alistair

UnderTow

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 12:24:27 PM »

It's up!

Alistair

mbruce333

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 01:07:45 PM »

IF this question had already been asked and answered, forgive me, but I didn't see it actually said anywhere.

Are ALL of the submissions on the Massive server?  I just downloaded all that were there, but I don't want to miss anyone.

Thanks...
Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

cerberus

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 06:40:31 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 11:41

The original had a soundscape like as if the listener was positioned above the ensemble, like on a balcony.

i couldn't figure this out at all... it does seem like a sharp eared guess; except for when i heard the valves clicking on the sax; then it seemed miced too close for comfort.

i noticed in one of the masters that the kick drum was "moved" down to an apparent position near the floor and behind the other instruments... that's where i think the kick should sound from if that's where it was.  i'll put a"kewl" or something in my comment for that one.

mike; i think all of them are at the massive server. i'll find out the answer and put it in this space later if no one else gives it first. [edit: all on the following list were there except for undertow v1, which i am uploading now.]

WUMP IV ROSTER

WUMP_IV-Rugged_Cross-UnderTow_v2.wav
wump4_sb.wav
WUMP4 ZETTER.wav
WUMP IV, Rugged_Cross, UnderTow.wav
Trillium-rugged_cross.WAV
RuggedCross_NoWo.wav
RuggedCross_Ed_Littman_Mastering(16b).wav
RuggedCross-PieterS.wav
RuggedCross-MTGroove.wav
RuggedCross-ChrisJ.wav
RuggedCross Schley-May.WAV
RuggedCross - ATOR.wav
Rugged_Cross_cerberus.wav
rugged_cross_-_patrik_t.wav
Rugged Cross master 44.1K 12-06-06 (ged leitch).wav
Rugged Cross - Matt_G.wav
RugCross   Mike Bruce.wav
PingusMaster.WAV
OldSonic_wumpIV.wav
LukeFRuggedCross.wav
aivoryuk rugged cross.wav

jeff dinces

NoWo

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 06:46:47 PM »

I did not download anything from the Massive server as we agreed to use yousendit. It needs some effort to keep track of all entries from one provider alone.

Anyway, I am off for the next Wumps. Takes a little bit too much time. Thanks for all input, I learnt a lot through it although in a different way than I expected. Good luck for you guys, I will always look in from time to time.

Norbert

Ged Leitch

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 07:03:47 PM »

Cheers for the comments guys,

yeh i got to admit on re-listening my low mids circa 100hz could have been cut by a DB or so.

No excuses though! I should have dealt with it!

But overall i'm happy with my render.

And I totally appreciate all your comments guys, very helpful.
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

chrisj

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 08:33:14 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 11:33

Chris, do you not carefully listen to your custom software before using it? I'm not being  a jerk here, just making a suggestion - but if you aren't hearing this stuff in your room, perhaps working on your monitoring/environment should take precedence...

Right now I am changing EVERYTHING and nothing is familiar- new DAC, new furniture, new computer screen... I'm trying to make time to familiariize but there is a lot to catch up with.

It's only going to continue- new amps. Kill me. No, wait, I like this stuff, it's just totally unfamiliar. Don't kill me Wink

I found the bug: Cerberus is one person who might run across this one also, so I share it. I was combining things and part of a high frequency boost  had a one sample offset. That was the culprit. The same EQ got a few raves from people here when I showed it off- but that was just in one context, the bug emerged in a very different recording when pushing the effect rather hard.

I always say I'd rather get the bumbling phase out of the way, and I encourage people to be a 'jerk' because you don't learn much from smiling-politely-and-nodding. Brad is extending the courtesy of his criticism and I'd rather people acknowledge it as a courtesy. There are people who don't have to cobble together all their own crap and since I do, I'm at a disadvantage from having to wear too many hats.

Well, less now- Lavry makes a better DAC than I ever could/did. But hell no, I don't know how it's supposed to sound yet. My stepkid just got out of kindergarten, my wife's struggling with a new allergy diet and needing a lot of support, and a kid I'm tryiing to help in his attempts to kick drugs is getting high and coming over with a knife. Woohoo! Very Happy

I'll try to fix this stuff up, and familiarize myself with it better. I did say I was trying something new- just thought it would work first off- I'm sorry for trying weird things out on WUMP, but everything is in flux now. Maybe that's a lesson in itself- beware changing too much too fast lest ye become confused Smile

bblackwood

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 09:41:29 PM »

No worries - WUMP is the perfect place to try new things out - the 'fake client' scenario is the best way to run your system and see where there are deficiencies.

I'm just hoping the paying clients get the chain you're familiar with!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

cerberus

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 10:34:53 PM »

chrisj wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 20:33

I found the bug: Cerberus is one person who might run across this one also, so I share it. I was combining things and part of a high frequency boost  had a one sample offset. That was the culprit.

yes, you've already helped me here. when you first raised the matter, i gave a flippant reply, but i was wrong. you showed me something i didn't want to see, but now yes another step to my process to increase transparency to the source and afford more control. time is money, but so are results, results could last forever, money maybe not.  need a faster computer..always..[dammit i hate circular logic!]

i did some sample shifting in this wump, but it's still a black art to me; i'm also introducing intentional delays anyway (another area where your comments gave me plenty to think about)...so i'm not going to correct for every inadvertent delay if it sounds good that way. i wouldn't call it a science for me yet, but i do use numbers and my ears at the same time...what's that called?  

i think i'm not the only one here who could make use of your advice. it might be useful for others who work with dsp to realize that  they might be using delays and not know it. or as bk likes to say: "never turn your back on digital".

Quote:

I'm at a disadvantage from having to wear too many hats.
i've tried to code and failed, so i'm sympathetic to that.  i find audio engineering and coding require completely different skillsets and mindsets. anything i could do to help you sort things out, such as beta testing? (ged also offered  to test your limiter).

Quote:

trying weird things out on WUMP,
as i was setting up my wump4 chain, it suddenly occurred to me that the transient designer species of dynamics processors [some of us have been using] is slew limiting. so you might want to investigate where your theory and these processors intersect for you.

jeff dinces

bblackwood

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 11:12:38 PM »

cerberus wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 21:34

"never turn your back on digital".

A great quote by Bob Ludwig...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

cerberus

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 11:29:35 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 23:12

cerberus wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 21:34

"never turn your back on digital".

A great quote by Bob Ludwig...

yes, sorry.  bk has re-enforced that here himself.

jeff dinces

UnderTow

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2006, 07:13:30 AM »

NoWo wrote on Sun, 18 June 2006 13:01

UnderTow: Too low, too dull.

Was this V1 or V2?

Cheers,

Alistair
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.