R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FMR Really Nice Compressor  (Read 31145 times)

blueboy

Re: FMR Really Nice Compressor
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2006, 11:29:40 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 10:42

There really is a "missing link" out there, as compressors go.

I would love to find a way to build a really good valve one at a low cost though...

I definitely would be the first in line to buy one if you could make it affordable, as I haven't found any other alternatives yet.  

I'm kind of regretting starting this thread though, as it may have been interpreted in the wrong way by some. Everyone hears things differently, and some things are more important to some than others. Whatever the cause is for what I heard with the RNC, I think people just need to try the RNC for themselves to see if it works for them. To me, the K2 and Brick seem to offer sound quality that is in a different league than the RNC.

While you're working on the compressor Terry...I could use a nice (affordable) EQ as well...

Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will be shelling out big bucks to get what I want.

Thanks again for your input on the K2 and Brick. I am still extremely happy with both.

Regards,

JL
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

Bill_Urick

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2006, 11:31:19 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 08 September 2006 18:42

blueboy wrote on Fri, 16 June 2006 21:48

While I like the basic sound of the compression this unit offers, the problem is that it seems to filter most of the harmonic richness that I paid for recently with my Rode K2 and GT Brick.

...I hate to ask, but what is the next step up in quality in compressors that will take me to an equivalent level that the GT Brick is at (i.e. no fancy features, just good "harmonically rich" sound at a reasonable price)?

Hi Jeff,

The more I think about this, the more it seems you are right.  There really is a "missing link" out there, as compressors go.

Both the K2 and The Brick do give a higher level of sound quality than you have a right to expect for the cost.

But so far I haven't seen a compressor that does so, in a reasonable price range.  There may be one, but I don't know of it.

And I'm also afraid that my very first response to your first post is really holding true.

As we do build our own tube compressors here, and use them every day, on every session, I am very familiar with the sound I like, with what goes inside of them, and with what those materials cost.

I would love to find a way to build a really good valve one at a low cost though...

Terry,

Would you be willing to share any info on the compressors you are building?

Thanks!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

compasspnt

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2006, 01:21:44 AM »

Bill Urick wrote on Sun, 10 September 2006 23:31

Terry,

Would you be willing to share any info on the compressors you are building?

Here's the basic spiel.

http://members.aol.com/lucaseng/

CHANCE

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2006, 09:23:42 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Wed, 12 July 2006 04:52

Cool So, does anyone else have a Yamaha compressor they love...?

I've got a GC-2020B that I use on occasion
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Trumpetman2

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2006, 10:31:22 AM »

so what do you think..? is it more "usable" than the RNC? Cool

CHANCE

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2006, 10:44:33 AM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Mon, 18 September 2006 07:31

so what do you think..? is it more "usable" than the RNC? Cool

I don't have an RNC
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

neustation

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »

Hello All,

I also thought the RNC put a gauze type sound over the tracks I used it on. My solution was to mod the unit by replacing all the electrolytic caps (which are xicon brand, not really great for high frequencies) with panasonic FM caps (105C,low ESR,high frequency). The veil was gone and I find the RNC to sound more transparent. It was worth while to do. It would be nice if FMR would just put Panasonic FM's in it stock, but I bet it would cost them a lot more money to do so on a large scale.

I spend about $10.00 on the panasonic FM caps, you can get them from digikey. Also the bi-polar eletrolytics (these would be the dark blue colored caps, the xicon's are light blue colored caps with a polarity strip on them) in the RNC are pretty good panasonics so no need to replace these.

Out Here,

Robert

p.s. I am not an audiophile weirdo, I just recapped my whole studio in November and I did the RNC as an experiment.

TB-AV

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:51 PM »

I'm not doubting your results so please don't take my question that way, but since you recapped your entire studio, is there a chance the change you heard was from other areas in the signal chain?

If not, and you feel certain you have removed that veil by the caps, can you describe the difficulty in doing so. I have never had the cover off. Is it a pretty straight forward / easy replacement?

TB

hargerst

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2007, 01:41:59 PM »

I'm still at a loss to explain the "gauze effect" you guys are hearing.  When I checked my RNC with a Neutrik A2 audio test station, the damn thing was flat out to about 200 KHz - with 6 dB of compression going !!!

Is this signal coming out of the GT Brick, then into the RNC?  There is a known problem there.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

TB-AV

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »

I have not used mine in a while but I never recall hearing anything either. I have 2 and can remember fiddling around with both of them when I first got them because I wondered if they were working as they were so transparent.

TB

jimmyjazz

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 04:13:46 PM »

Harvey, did Mark ultimately decline to come on board and discuss the RNC?

TB-AV

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »

Yes, I always wanted to hear the final word on that issue.

I just can't for the life of me understand how one electronic device ( RNC ) can distinguish it's input from another.

In my way of thinking, if it has an issue with the output waveform of one item ( Brick ) it should have it with others no matter what they are.

TB

hargerst

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »

No, it's strictly a problem with specific asymmetrical wave forms that are nulled out in the DSP processing of the RNC. And it's not a problem with the Brick, unless the gain control is set to around 2 to 3 o'clock.

I'll call Mark and see if he'll come here and explain it a lot better.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

neustation

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »

TB-AV wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 13:27

I'm not doubting your results so please don't take my question that way, but since you recapped your entire studio, is there a chance the change you heard was from other areas in the signal chain?

If not, and you feel certain you have removed that veil by the caps, can you describe the difficulty in doing so. I have never had the cover off. Is it a pretty straight forward / easy replacement?

TB

Hi,

It pretty easy. take off all the knobs on the front, and the little screws on the front and the back, also take off the nuts for the 1/4" jacks on the back, the board slides out of the case. de-solder with some de-soldering braid and clean the board with some 94% alcohol (or the highest you can get up to 99%), then solder in new caps, then clean again with 94% alcohol.

I only tested with the RNC between my DA, to pre-amp, to amp, no changes were made in the pre, the amp or the DA. The high frequencies sound better.

Out,

Robert

p.s. don't mess with the little pots on the board, which have little screws. These are for calibrating the compressor chips.

TB-AV

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2007, 12:24:32 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.